Highlights Dirty Hit Or Not - Stephens vs Moore

I think it was a bang-bang type play that went terribly wrong.

I think Moore needed to give himself up sooner to avoid that kind of injury, which was primarily caused by his head hitting the ground; Stephens didn't use the crown and there was no real launch, IMHO.

I think it was also a situation where Moore wanted to make the first down marker and then tried to protect himself with a slide. He would have been better off just going head-first at the first down marker.
Im curious if sliding is actually safer than just diving forward unless you do it super early.
 
QBs keep trying to squeeze as much as they can out of the play with the idea that the slide rule is a shield that will protect them.

It’s like a few years ago when Pickett faked the slide knowing the defender would be playing soft to avoid hitting him.

Maybe it’s dirty. But the whole “you can’t touch me so I’m going to get even closer to you to get even more yards” goes against the spirit of the game.
^ this. All this.
 
Regardless when Moore slid the usc kid was looking to take him out at the knees. Either way he was looking to take him out. And he rejoiced in it.
 
I don’t know how some of yall can watch the clip and say Moore slid late. Moore was going down with 5 yards to spare between him and the defender. Defender hadn’t even lowered the shoulder when moore started to drop. Defender was looking to hurt Moore by any means, dirty and almost bountygate like. I know fans we advocate for a more physical game, but that is not the play to complain about this.
 
Dirty play.

The defender is not preventing extra yards. Moore would have been ruled down where he started his slide, thank you to Kenny Pickett's fake slide years ago.

DBs antics after the play warrant a multiple game suspension, IMO.

His post-hit behavior clearly reveals his intent.
 
Im curious if sliding is actually safer than just diving forward unless you do it super early.
I think with a QB, you want a slide rather than a dive. Sliding is instinctive, especially if you’ve played baseball. The only downside is ball placement

But a QB diving opens him up to potential shoulder/head injuries, generally, more than a slide.

Yes, the slide resulted in a head injury here, but a dive could catch your shoulder or head on a knee or shoulder hitting the ground awkwardly.
 
I agree with this and other similar comments.

The unexpected part is that the USC player probably helped Oregon because Raiola might be better than Moore (who has never impressed me). The hit also seemed to galvanize Oregon.
A bit of the same thought...If Raiola takes Oregon to its 1st 'ship, it Stephens co-MVP? Or getting some cash in a brown paper bag from Phil Knight?
 
Back
Top