X's and O's Did you see what I saw?

View attachment 256490
This man knows what he’s doing. After rewatching the game somewhere between 33 to 48 times since Saturday, I’m highly impressed by the offense. Obviously the amount of scoring lets us know our offense is infinitely better, but the design of some of these plays really stood out to me. Let’s discuss.

As a sidebar, I saw this clip and loved it. The Fins just put up 500 yards of offense, with 450 being through the air. It shows that even on the highest level, good scheme that includes pre-snap motion is just a nightmare to guard for a defense.

View attachment 256491
First drive of the game, we bring our TE in motion across the formation and have him wheel up the near sideline. Obviously the first read is to see who the linebacker picks up between the RB and TE after the motion. (If it wasn’t, Restrepo is WIDE open on his in route in the middle of the field). But even bigger than that, if TVD pumpfakes that throw to the RB and looks at the tight end, he’s WIDE OPEN down the sideline for a big gain and possibly 6. Beautiful play design that options that LB and makes him choose what he’s going to guard in front of him.

View attachment 256492
Our first scoring drive, this run play is underrated but it’s a homerun play. Having 2 RBs in the backfield and then pulling the RG and RT (especially with how skilled our guys are) is DEATH to a defense. This run uses the D-lines aggressiveness against them and seals pretty much everyone in the box while allowing the ball carrier to get to the outside. Fletcher looks to seal inside with his block and hesitates while not getting upfield which allows the safety to get outside leverage on him and forces Parrish to cut inside upfield. If Fletcher goes to meet that safety and allows Parrish to get to the sideline, Parrish walks into the endzone for 6…. From anywhere on the field.

View attachment 256493
View attachment 256494
The actual play live doesn’t look like much, but bringing the TE in motion stuns the safety on the right side of the field. Knowing that he may be responsible for the TE and then watching the play-action, he gets NO depth in his coverage. Due to that, the post route by Restrepo behind him ends up being WIDE open. If TVD has time that’s EASY pitch and catch to the 2nd “i” in Miami’s endzone. Obviously aTm did a good job getting pressure on the play and moving TVD off his spot, but with 8 players set up to block, it’s great play design, our guys up front just got beat… it happens, still great design.

View attachment 256496
View attachment 256499
TE in motion again, moves to the wide side of the field where we fake a WR screen to Restrepo. Of course, the defense over reacts to that and we have a screen set up to Parrish on the short side of the field. you can watch their linebackers, the one closer to Restrepo reacts to that fake screen and is completely out of the play, the other stays home and falls for the RB screen perfectly. If our LT delays their end for about 1.5 more seconds and gives TVD time to deliver that ball to Parrish, it’s probably a house call. Our LG blocks and releases PERFECTLY and from the back camera angle you can see he’s heading up field 1 on 1 with their safety as the last line of defense. GREAT call.

View attachment 256500
I’m sure we have all rewatched this play tons of times so I really won’t say much. Motion motion motion… watch Colbie’s defender, it’s just impossible for him.

View attachment 256501
TE in motion.. repeating theme. Again makes it impossible for Colbie’s defender. Man coverage and there are THREE drag routes (pick play) he has to navigate through. Just watch him, by the time Colbie catches it, his defender is about 10 yards away. Great design.

View attachment 256503
Motion motion motion. Beautiful play, I’m sure we’ve all seen it a million times, but just watch Jacolby’s defender, again, just impossible for him to make a play.

View attachment 256507
View attachment 256506
Remember that running play from the first scoring drive? It’s money again. This time Chaney seals the second level defender inside and we get a big run. If Parrish makes the safety miss (or is faster and gets to that sideline before the safety), he’s probably still running.

There were so many great and memorable plays that helped us win, but on my rewatches these are the “other” plays that stood out to me. With how excited we all are about how well we did execute, it’s highly encouraging to see that we aren’t even close to our final form. Of course, we aren’t ever going to execute 100% on every play, but man… Dawson got more eye candy than an old XXL magazine. What y’all think?

cooking GIF by Masterchef

Advertisement
View attachment 256490
This man knows what he’s doing. After rewatching the game somewhere between 33 to 48 times since Saturday, I’m highly impressed by the offense. Obviously the amount of scoring lets us know our offense is infinitely better, but the design of some of these plays really stood out to me. Let’s discuss.

As a sidebar, I saw this clip and loved it. The Fins just put up 500 yards of offense, with 450 being through the air. It shows that even on the highest level, good scheme that includes pre-snap motion is just a nightmare to guard for a defense.

View attachment 256491
First drive of the game, we bring our TE in motion across the formation and have him wheel up the near sideline. Obviously the first read is to see who the linebacker picks up between the RB and TE after the motion. (If it wasn’t, Restrepo is WIDE open on his in route in the middle of the field). But even bigger than that, if TVD pumpfakes that throw to the RB and looks at the tight end, he’s WIDE OPEN down the sideline for a big gain and possibly 6. Beautiful play design that options that LB and makes him choose what he’s going to guard in front of him.

View attachment 256492
Our first scoring drive, this run play is underrated but it’s a homerun play. Having 2 RBs in the backfield and then pulling the RG and RT (especially with how skilled our guys are) is DEATH to a defense. This run uses the D-lines aggressiveness against them and seals pretty much everyone in the box while allowing the ball carrier to get to the outside. Fletcher looks to seal inside with his block and hesitates while not getting upfield which allows the safety to get outside leverage on him and forces Parrish to cut inside upfield. If Fletcher goes to meet that safety and allows Parrish to get to the sideline, Parrish walks into the endzone for 6…. From anywhere on the field.

View attachment 256493
View attachment 256494
The actual play live doesn’t look like much, but bringing the TE in motion stuns the safety on the right side of the field. Knowing that he may be responsible for the TE and then watching the play-action, he gets NO depth in his coverage. Due to that, the post route by Restrepo behind him ends up being WIDE open. If TVD has time that’s EASY pitch and catch to the 2nd “i” in Miami’s endzone. Obviously aTm did a good job getting pressure on the play and moving TVD off his spot, but with 8 players set up to block, it’s great play design, our guys up front just got beat… it happens, still great design.

View attachment 256496
View attachment 256499
TE in motion again, moves to the wide side of the field where we fake a WR screen to Restrepo. Of course, the defense over reacts to that and we have a screen set up to Parrish on the short side of the field. you can watch their linebackers, the one closer to Restrepo reacts to that fake screen and is completely out of the play, the other stays home and falls for the RB screen perfectly. If our LT delays their end for about 1.5 more seconds and gives TVD time to deliver that ball to Parrish, it’s probably a house call. Our LG blocks and releases PERFECTLY and from the back camera angle you can see he’s heading up field 1 on 1 with their safety as the last line of defense. GREAT call.

View attachment 256500
I’m sure we have all rewatched this play tons of times so I really won’t say much. Motion motion motion… watch Colbie’s defender, it’s just impossible for him.

View attachment 256501
TE in motion.. repeating theme. Again makes it impossible for Colbie’s defender. Man coverage and there are THREE drag routes (pick play) he has to navigate through. Just watch him, by the time Colbie catches it, his defender is about 10 yards away. Great design.

View attachment 256503
Motion motion motion. Beautiful play, I’m sure we’ve all seen it a million times, but just watch Jacolby’s defender, again, just impossible for him to make a play.

View attachment 256507
View attachment 256506
Remember that running play from the first scoring drive? It’s money again. This time Chaney seals the second level defender inside and we get a big run. If Parrish makes the safety miss (or is faster and gets to that sideline before the safety), he’s probably still running.

There were so many great and memorable plays that helped us win, but on my rewatches these are the “other” plays that stood out to me. With how excited we all are about how well we did execute, it’s highly encouraging to see that we aren’t even close to our final form. Of course, we aren’t ever going to execute 100% on every play, but man… Dawson got more eye candy than an old XXL magazine. What y’all think?

Wow, great stuff. I appreciate the excellent post.

Advertisement
There's play design, and then there's motion. You need to understand defense as well as your own offense to properly exploit matchups through pre-snap motion. Motion requires next-level thinking from your OC.
Thats why Mike mcdaniel be in the office at 3:30.. that and to kick the habit.. 💪

Great write up. Love the play breakdowns….my question is…hypothetically if our offense continues this pace the whole season. Do we get another year with Dawson??? The hype for Lashlee was pretty big for his time here, warranted or not.

Advertisement

Against UCLA in 2018 check 2:07 mark

I believe Dawson mentioned it was actually Mirabal who suggested that play. Wouldn't have guessed that but great sign that the staff is collaborating well together. Also kind of cool that Dawson can give credit to others.

Old OC probably wouldn't have listened to suggestions in the first place and def would have taken all the credit for something like that.

I believe Dawson mentioned it was actually Mirabal who suggested that play. Wouldn't have guessed that but great sign that the staff is collaborating well together. Also kind of cool that Dawson can give credit to others.

Old OC probably wouldn't have listened to suggestions in the first place and def would have taken all the credit for something like that.
More than "kinda" for sure. Says a lot about him. Mainly, he's not a ****head. So that's a nice change.

Advertisement
You don’t have to be vocal or Rah rah as a qb. Actions on the field speak louder than words. If you aren’t cussing people out or throwing your helmet you must not care. Which is wrong.
Don't you know that EVERYBODY is supposed to act exactly the same as EVERYBODY else? Lol

Advertisement
Back