Did Golden's Read and React Defense Hurt the Offensive Line

OrlandoCane

Junior
Premium
Think about an O-line that practices every day against a non-penetrating D-line.

Then on game day they play against D-lineman who attack and penetrate and they don't do a very good job handling them.

I have a feeling at least part of the problem with the O-line in the Golden era was they never practiced against an aggressive D.

I'm hoping practicing against a attacking Kulogowski coached D-line will help the O-Linemen be better blockers.

Thoughts?

Advertisement
I can definitely see that as being part of the problem, but of course that's only one issue.

I was going to post this too in another thread but I was thinking the same exact thing...

I think the fact that they're a bunch of soft, flabby, weakminded *****es hurts them a little more

Mindset pushed by last leaders...thanks to the base gods they are gone! Too many guys from long term winning programs that played at a high level to blame them!!

Advertisement
Al Golden hurt all aspects of Miami Hurricane football, the future career prospects of players and the university brand as a whole. He was an unmitigated disaster. Period.

Go canes!

I think the culture played a bigger role. The culture was a soft-minded culture, that bred ineptitude across the board on this team.

Don't know if it hurt the Offense, but it was hurtful to me for 12 games a year...

i think rotating guys all the time hurt oline. plus i just think had poor coaching. guys just didn't get better. the read and react stuff may have contributed but overall i think it was just poor coaching.

our oline was also very young. oldest starter was gall. odagwu. the thing is we have a very young line this year also jrs/ sophmores redshirt freshman will dominate the line.

id expect much better oline play this year. stlouis and milo will help alot. mcdermott almost 2 yrs off acl surgery will help , so i expect line to improve this year immensly just from all the reps these guys got together last year also.

Advertisement
We had a good oline the 2014 season, our linemen being weak, out of shape and no left tackle hurt more.

The scout team they play against during the week would be using the opposing teams scheme and techniques, not Miami's, so I doubt it. If you wanted to say the scout team wasn't very good at emulating the other team or just wasn't very good in general, I think you'd have a better argument.

i think rotating guys all the time hurt oline. plus i just think had poor coaching. guys just didn't get better. the read and react stuff may have contributed but overall i think it was just poor coaching.

our oline was also very young. oldest starter was gall. odagwu. the thing is we have a very young line this year also jrs/ sophmores redshirt freshman will dominate the line.

id expect much better oline play this year. stlouis and milo will help alot. mcdermott almost 2 yrs off acl surgery will help , so i expect line to improve this year immensly just from all the reps these guys got together last year also.

I would have sworn Isidora, being a redshirt Jr. this past season, was the oldest.

Advertisement
op - yes, along with strength and coaching. Our O Line recruits aren't terrible. We should see a major improvement this year...

Wouldn't the O be practicing against the scout team D, mimicking the opponent's scheme?

The Scout team O would've been hindered more practicing against the first team D.

Bad recruiting.....we have Oline numbers but some of those players aren't very good.....FAU level Olinemen..

Advertisement
The scout team they play against during the week would be using the opposing teams scheme and techniques, not Miami's, so I doubt it. If you wanted to say the scout team wasn't very good at emulating the other team or just wasn't very good in general, I think you'd have a better argument.
This.

I actually saw a James Coley quote for the first time the other day. He said that Gerald Willis was too disruptive on scout team and the offense couldn't get anything done because he was always in the backfield. Said they had to take him sometimes to get things done.

Golden didn't run any more of a read and react defense than any other corch. Every defense "reads", and every defense "reacts". Someday the porsters will figure that out. In any case, I'm sure going against our DL the past several years hasn't done the OL any good, but they're also soft and poorly coached. Hopefully, that will all change now.

I would have sworn Isidora, being a redshirt Jr. this past season, was the oldest.

u may be right. i keep thinking he is a sophmore going into jr yr next year for some reason.

Advertisement
Back