Did Golden's Read and React Defense Hurt the Offensive Line

Bad recruiting.....we have Oline numbers but some of those players aren't very good.....FAU level Olinemen..

i would love to point out that darling, mcdermott, milo, st louis, gauthier, are all 4 star linemen. isadora, linder, were 3 stars but were recruited by the lines of fsu and florida as well as miami. there is talent here. yes odagwu, gall, are projects but the others were considered top notch talents coming into college.

i still say mcdermott being almost 1 yr and half removed from acl surgery is gonna be a big factor in improved line as well as gauthier and milo getting a legit shot. darling to me is a rt. not a lt and mcdermott was better suited to lt prior to injuring his knee freshman year he was just better then odagwu and darling period.

Advertisement
Would you idiots quit looking in the rearview mirror. Who gives a fvck what happened when Golden was here. Move the fvck on

The scout team they play against during the week would be using the opposing teams scheme and techniques, not Miami's, so I doubt it. If you wanted to say the scout team wasn't very good at emulating the other team or just wasn't very good in general, I think you'd have a better argument.
This.

I actually saw a James Coley quote for the first time the other day. He said that Gerald Willis was too disruptive on scout team and the offense couldn't get anything done because he was always in the backfield. Said they had to take him sometimes to get things done.

:4e49C5euykr1O.jpg:

The scout team they play against during the week would be using the opposing teams scheme and techniques, not Miami's, so I doubt it. If you wanted to say the scout team wasn't very good at emulating the other team or just wasn't very good in general, I think you'd have a better argument.
This.

I actually saw a James Coley quote for the first time the other day. He said that Gerald Willis was too disruptive on scout team and the offense couldn't get anything done because he was always in the backfield. Said they had to take him sometimes to get things done.
Can only be described as surreal.

Everything Golden did or didn't do had the effect of hurting Miami football en total.

Golden-Al-1987-1987-Red-Bank-Catholic-School-Yearbook-Coach-Al-Golden-268x394-jpg.jpg

Advertisement
Please, no more mention of that name. He's gone, let's leave him in the past and look to the future.

Advertisement
So some young OL players struggle this year and all of a sudden that takes away from the NFL players produced the previous few years?

Think about an O-line that practices every day against a non-penetrating D-line.

Then on game day they play against D-lineman who attack and penetrate and they don't do a very good job handling them.

I have a feeling at least part of the problem with the O-line in the Golden era was they never practiced against an aggressive D.

I'm hoping practicing against a attacking Kulogowski coached D-line will help the O-Linemen be better blockers.

Thoughts?

Interesting take.

During spring and camp in August, when players are suppose to actually get better, it's alot of 1s vs. 1s. Our scheme vs. our scheme. Lots of contact and tackling. During the season is when scout teams are used because its mostly preparing for the opponent during the week. Contact is scaled way down. Usually just thudding up then the whistle. That's the reason alot of walk ons dont participate in camp and is invited back once the season starts.

So yes, i think what the op talks about is a factor, although not the biggest.

I just watched the U Reloaded documentary, and Wayne and Co. states numerous times that the games were so easy because they went against the the best in practice everyday. Friend of mine who played qb for Armwood often says the same thing. They were/are so good because of who they have to go against everyday at practice. During spring and preseason camp when scout teams aren't being used is when this comes into play...

Last edited:
They might go against Golden's defense during spring but they prepare for opponents all week long throughout the season. They see plenty of different techniques, fronts, blitzes, coverages, etc.

You can either block...or you can't. Golden's defense had ZERO affect on our OL's production. None.

If anything, it's harder to prepare/block against an Odd front. Blocking a one-gap Even front should be cake.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back