Did Golden ever fire anybody while at Temple?

In many cases it's one of the toughest decisions a coach/businessman might ever make. You build relationships with people and when they don't perform you have to put business above friendship (or family).

My post wasn't aimed towards D'Onofrio. In fact I was thinking more along the lines of position coaches.
And quite frankly I was just curious if Golden has had to in his short career as HC.

But it's all good - this is one sensitive board.
I'm sure they weren't cussing and screaming at the defense all game. It's only once the smoke settles and the kool-aid pours that these baffoons come out of the woodworks preaching patience and ****.

I saw the early signs with Shannon, Nix, & Coker - and early indications are that this defensive staff better start getting organized quick or we're gonna be chasing dust for years to come.
Admitting you weren't prepared to cover TEs on PA or RBs out of the backfield is scary. Because that's all BC ran. There was nothing special about their offense other than we weren't set half the time and none of our LBs (minus DP) realized they might actually have to cover in this defense.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Well, now you know what I was running my mouth about, you question the staff on every other post. If every team worked like you the G-men would have fired Coughlin 6 years ago but now he has two titles. If you run your team the way your fans want you to you end up like the Raiders. I have total confidence in the staff from top to bottom. You obviously do not and are one of those guys who would rather be right then support the team. And yes your right I was yelling at the defense, but I have also said that after watching the game a second time when I was less emotional I really felt that the DC coached his A$$ off in that game. He was putting guys into positions to succeed, it just did not necessarily pay of, but after seeing that I do feel like its only a matter of time before it will pay off. I preached patience with RS and I still think he deserved the amount of time he got. But it was obvious that this team had seen the top of what he could do. Now you see the way this staff is so much more thorough than the previous couple of staffs and you cant help but feel like your going in the right direction.

So tell me have you watched the game again? Or are you still just going off memory and emotion of being ****ed about the Defense? I mean have you seen any of AGs quotes this week where he OWNS every issue with the defense and says things like the D has enough players to make the defense work? The guy knows what the heck is going on and he has a pulse on it and it is part of HIS plan. This is not like before when RS was hiring anyone that would work under him and there was an obvious division amongst the staff. It was obvious that the D kept with the D and the O with the O. This is a SOLID staff building a SOLID team. Support or go, its really that easy. Maybe you can hang with the Kstate mask guy......

Just curious if he's had to fire anybody yet.

You would seldom have to fire someone. When I was a kid, my father, who was chairman of the chemical engineering department at a university, fired one of my most beloved people, explaining to me why he "had to." I just never bought the "had to" part. I felt the firing was both insensitive and cowardly.

Ugh take it you never run a business. Sometimes there are people / players who are iunmanagable

Actually, I own a successful small business.

The fact that I objected to one instance of someone's being fired does not imply that I am against all instances of firing any more than a statement that I am not hungry means that I plan to never eat.

The purpose of my example was to broach an element of the situation that seldom gets discussed or which seems to be viewed as a weakness rather than what it is: a strength. People often feel a loyalty to and affection for each other. Regardless of how you feel about this, it is a fact that enters into decisions about both hiring and firing.

You point out that some people are unmanageable. On the one hand, we seemed to be talking about an instance of suspected incompetence rather than one of unmanageability. On the other hand, I recognize that in some instances one would virtually have to fire someone. That is why I used the word "seldom."

Last edited:
Well, now you know what I was running my mouth about, you question the staff on every other post. If every team worked like you the G-men would have fired Coughlin 6 years ago but now he has two titles. If you run your team the way your fans want you to you end up like the Raiders. I have total confidence in the staff from top to bottom. You obviously do not and are one of those guys who would rather be right then support the team. And yes your right I was yelling at the defense, but I have also said that after watching the game a second time when I was less emotional I really felt that the DC coached his A$$ off in that game. He was putting guys into positions to succeed, it just did not necessarily pay of, but after seeing that I do feel like its only a matter of time before it will pay off. I preached patience with RS and I still think he deserved the amount of time he got. But it was obvious that this team had seen the top of what he could do. Now you see the way this staff is so much more thorough than the previous couple of staffs and you cant help but feel like your going in the right direction.

So tell me have you watched the game again? Or are you still just going off memory and emotion of being ****ed about the Defense? I mean have you seen any of AGs quotes this week where he OWNS every issue with the defense and says things like the D has enough players to make the defense work? The guy knows what the heck is going on and he has a pulse on it and it is part of HIS plan. This is not like before when RS was hiring anyone that would work under him and there was an obvious division amongst the staff. It was obvious that the D kept with the D and the O with the O. This is a SOLID staff building a SOLID team. Support or go, its really that easy. Maybe you can hang with the Kstate mask guy......
Solid post bro

I've watched the replay 3 or 4 times. In fact I made a half glass full post regarding what I saw in 2nd half (blown coverages being easily corrected, D'Ononfrio playing 4 DE lines, Armbrister blowing coverage on RB so he assigned DP very next play, run defense on 3rd n short, blitzing a few times in effort to get pressure).

Don't confuse my original question and my concern about D'Onofrio with me being "off the rocker" and in FIRE MODE.

I wouldn't expect, nor want, a coach replaced for at least the next 2-3 years anyhow. The depth chart is a clusterfvk, I KNOW.
I'm just not a big fan of Coach D's style of play. But I guess I've gotta accept it and move.

Side note to GhostofVenice - your schtick gets old. Quite stalking every post I make.
When you get that college degree (or is it GED?) then come talk to me. Until then stick to Lil Wayne & rating chicks in the WEZ.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I've watched the replay 3 or 4 times. In fact I made a half glass full post regarding what I saw in 2nd half (blown coverages being easily corrected, D'Ononfrio playing 4 DE lines, Armbrister blowing coverage on RB so he assigned DP very next play, run defense on 3rd n short, blitzing a few times in effort to get pressure).

Don't confuse my original question and my concern about D'Onofrio with me being "off the rocker" and in FIRE MODE.

I wouldn't expect, nor want, a coach replaced for at least the next 2-3 years anyhow. The depth chart is a clusterfvk, I KNOW.
I'm just not a big fan of Coach D's style of play.
But I guess I've gotta accept it and move.

How do you say these things in succession and not realize how much correlation there is between those 2 statements.

Think PLAYERS NOT PLAYS. how many times have we heard this. We've shown flashes, time to work on consistency.

Give it time, I have no doubts we will have an aggressive defense once we get these kids experience.

Lots of long posts here I am too lazy to read.

The question I have is what does it say about a guy who handpicks assistants after reviewing a number of applicants, and then continuously fires them a year later?

How is one person so awful at evaluating......everything?

Golden clearly believes in himself. He definitely does not lack confidence. Maybe that bites him in the *** one day but a head coach should stand behind the guys he hires. It isn't like he had no choice.

How do you say these things in succession and not realize how much correlation there is between those 2 statements.

Think PLAYERS NOT PLAYS. how many times have we heard this. We've shown flashes, time to work on consistency.

Give it time, I have no doubts we will have an aggressive defense once we get these kids experience.

Maybe. I'm also going off of his record at Temple. When Golden was hired and heard Coach D was coming, I went and watched a few Temple games.
It's a lot of the same stuff we're seeing now. And the talent on their defense by the 4th and 5th year were tops in the MAAC.

But if his long-term goal is to play more man and utilize the So Fla talent... I'm onboard.
We'll see.

Why does this guy keep mentioning me,yet I have yet to agknowledge any of his posts in this thread? Sounds like some female shoulders to me

Advertisement

Maybe. I'm also going off of his record at Temple. When Golden was hired and heard Coach D was coming, I went and watched a few Temple games.
It's a lot of the same stuff we're seeing now. And the talent on their defense by the 4th and 5th year were tops in the MAAC.

But if his long-term goal is to play more man and utilize the So Fla talent... I'm onboard.
We'll see.

I understand they had a few guys make some teams in the league, but you can't compare the athletes Miami continuously has the opportunity to recruit with Temple.

You just can't. like i've continued to say, we've shown flashes of being a great aggressive defense but when you have the type of recruiting mis-haps we've had under the last regime it takes time to build the talent and depth back up.

I expect to see the same improvement throughout the year, that we saw last year.

In many cases it's one of the toughest decisions a coach/businessman might ever make. You build relationships with people and when they don't perform you have to put business above friendship (or family).

My post wasn't aimed towards D'Onofrio. In fact I was thinking more along the lines of position coaches.
And quite frankly I was just curious if Golden has had to in his short career as HC.

I'm sure they weren't cussing and screaming at the defense all game. It's only once the smoke settles and the kool-aid pours that these baffoons come out of the woodworks preaching patience and ****.

I saw the early signs with Shannon, Nix, & Coker - and early indications are that this defensive staff better start getting organized quick or we're gonna be chasing dust for years to come.
Admitting you weren't prepared to cover TEs on PA or RBs out of the backfield is scary. Because that's all BC ran. There was nothing special about their offense other than we weren't set half the time and none of our LBs (minus DP) realized they might actually have to cover in this defense.

FYI.....I am one of the biggest coaching critics in the world. I heavily criticize most of the coaches/managers on my favorite teams. I had the same concerns you did about Coker/Shannon and Nix days and I made them be known loud and clear.

I will say I haven't been as confident in a head coach in any of my favorite teams in over 20 years then I am of Al Golden. I have faith in him.....therefore I have faith in his staff.

FYI.....I am one of the biggest coaching critics in the world. I heavily criticize most of the coaches/managers on my favorite teams. I had the same concerns you did about Coker/Shannon and Nix days and I made them be known loud and clear.

I will say I haven't been as confident in a head coach in any of my favorite teams in over 20 years then I am of Al Golden. I have faith in him.....therefore I have faith in his staff.

+1

Advertisement
Just curious if he's had to fire anybody yet.

You would seldom have to fire someone. When I was a kid, my father, who was chairman of the chemical engineering department at a university, fired one of my most beloved people, explaining to me why he "had to." I just never bought the "had to" part. I felt the firing was both insensitive and cowardly.

Did it ever cross your mind that the employee was not getting the job done? Beloved people or not, your Dad had a mission to be accountable for and HAD TO do what had to be done to get the job done. I've had to fire a few people in my life and it killed me to do it, but the job had to be done. If you ever find yourself in a position of authority, you might then understand. You can't keep people on the payroll who aren't getting their job done.

I'm pretty sure kids had their assignments and leaving the RB's and TE's uncovered was not part of it. There's no upperclassman leadership there. The younger kids are going to have to step up and stop making mental errors like that. Almost 200 of their passing yards were to the RB's and TE, mostly running uncovered by the LB's.

Advertisement

Solid post bro

Oh lawdy GOV.

SMDH

Ok so go watch the last raising canes video and if you can tell me after watching that, the control of the team, the buy in, the planning, everything in that video and then say we have the wrong guy I will buy you a whole new **** outfit for the new team you can go root for! He is the right guy, he gets it! He embraces what it means to be a cane, and that is from a guy who competed against us back in our heyday! Come on man! Its not sensitive, its sick of your garbage posts!

:muscat:

Ok so go watch the last raising canes video and if you can tell me after watching that, the control of the team, the buy in, the planning, everything in that video and then say we have the wrong guy I will buy you a whole new **** outfit for the new team you can go root for! He is the right guy, he gets it! He embraces what it means to be a cane, and that is from a guy who competed against us back in our heyday! Come on man! Its not sensitive, its sick of your garbage posts!

:muscat:

Lol that was the dumbest post in CIS history his speech was all BS.. He's done nothing here but regress and **** of an entire fan base..

Dammit mane... You might be the dumbest mug on CIS

Advertisement
Back