Diaz was not a bad hire

Advertisement
A top-15 job in the entire sport just gave the job to a first time HC without so much as a coaching search. Diaz was at Hecht today, but did they really have time to get a plan from him for his offense, names for a staff he'd put together, and a plan on what he's going to do with the defense?

Did they actually take the time to take his plan and put it to the data test to see how it compares to other top-notch programs? What are Diaz's thoughts on hiring more analysts to bring this program closer to the modern era? I've been told he's huge on analytics, so maybe he did express all of these thoughts to the admin and they decided he was the best candidate, but this sure doesn't sound like an inspiring search process to me.

Look, I'm just a Finance guy with a background in data, an MBA, and a Sports Management undergrad, so I do not have the experience of being a decision maker for a major college football program. That said, if you brought this process to me when I was in corporate America, you'd be out on your backside for exposing the company to tons of risk.

There is absolutely a path to success for Manny Diaz here, but I sure would've liked to have the powers that be analyze the things he said in his plan a lot more than they would've had time to do today.

Wait...you’re an undergrad?

A top-15 job in the entire sport just gave the job to a first time HC without so much as a coaching search. Diaz was at Hecht today, but did they really have time to get a plan from him for his offense, names for a staff he'd put together, and a plan on what he's going to do with the defense?

Did they actually take the time to take his plan and put it to the data test to see how it compares to other top-notch programs? What are Diaz's thoughts on hiring more analysts to bring this program closer to the modern era? I've been told he's huge on analytics, so maybe he did express all of these thoughts to the admin and they decided he was the best candidate, but this sure doesn't sound like an inspiring search process to me.

Look, I'm just a Finance guy with a background in data, an MBA, and a Sports Management undergrad, so I do not have the experience of being a decision maker for a major college football program. That said, if you brought this process to me when I was in corporate America, you'd be out on your backside for exposing the company to tons of risk.

There is absolutely a path to success for Manny Diaz here, but I sure would've liked to have the powers that be analyze the things he said in his plan a lot more than they would've had time to do today.
in plainer language, the process of this "hire" was bull****

Miami couldn't wait 24 hours to hire someone with ZERO HC experience. It's beyond obvious that Blake James didn't have a plan, he didn't even have ONE candidate name on a list. This is a panic hire, and for it everyone involved should be ashamed. Diaz isn't a strong recruiter, some people still believe his tactical acumen is a bit overstated, and this is the guy Miami is going with. Miami didn't even do a cursory search. The odds of this hire working out is less than 10%. That's how bad it is. What's even more infuriating is that Miami could have easily had any number of **** good mid major guys. Guys that are experienced, with legitimate eyes for talent. Did I mention that it would have gone a long way to restoring faith in the athletic department? No, that would have been too rational.
Unfortunately he did have a plan. Make Richt hire an OC. That was his fix. Now he keeps manny and makes him do it. Lazy and pathetic.

Advertisement
blah blah blah. Diaz is a fraud. anytime any team with a pulse on offense showed up, he bent over and took it as hard as they'd give it to him
Good thing we play in a pulse-less conference, except for Clemson of course

Yeah, yeah, don't know what I was thinking here. Of course Temple will get the last laugh. That's how we roll here, apparently.
its ok Schnelly ..... we were like a guy on death row who was told we were pardoned, when we were right at the gate, the
governor changed his mind and we were put back in our cell.

Translation: They panicked and made a rushed and illogical decision without even inquiring who could be interested in the job. This program is run by an idiot. Fire Blake James.

Advertisement
No, I was simply listing that my undergrad degrees are Finance & Sports Management and my graduate degree is a Finance MBA so it’s not like I have experience as a decision maker for these searches.

Trying to make it clear I understand he’s more qualified than I am.
you can't possibly be referring to either BlakeyJames or Diaz

Translation: They panicked and made a rushed and illogical decision without even inquiring who could be interested in the job. This program is run by an idiot. Fire Blake James.
this is worse than anything ive ever seen in terms of organizational management.
like putting a monkey in the ****pit of an F-22

The university of Miami is THE luckiest program on the planet guys. You should all thank your lucky stars

What other organization could field not one, BUT TWO "NATIONWIDE " SEARCHES in the span of ONE MONTH and have not ONE, but TWO results yielded within the SAME ZIP CODE as where your organization currently resides!

Think about our coaches since Butch. Not a single savage among them... Until today.

My frustration with Blake's general incompetence aside, I think there's a chance Manny kills it here. Not a sure thing, but you can't deny that this dude is a savage.

Advertisement
You must not have watched the games. Who care's about stats that were inflated playing in the mighty Coastal div. Even a mediocre Wisconsin showed how much that TFL stat meant when they were gashing us for 10 yards a clip (in the first qtr). And we haven't even faced the Clemson's , Bama's, and OSU's in years.

You mean the Wisconsin game where they had an extra 19 minutes of time of possession and an extra 29 plays because our offense couldn't stay on the field? Or that they were man-handling our D-line without our two best d-lineman? Not making excuses, but it kind of sucks when your offense has a 6:4 completion-to-interception ratio or convert only three 3rd downs all game. I watched all the games this year and Manny's defense is far from the one to blame.

lousy recruiter
defense is not elite. very overrated DC
has chosen some terrible position coaches who cant coach and cant recruit
i doubt he has a lot of contacts for quality coordinators and position coaches
i always felt that blake needed to not make this decision and he was allowed
grade: F

Advertisement
The university of Miami is THE luckiest program on the planet guys. You should all thank your lucky stars

What other organization could field not one, BUT TWO "NATIONWIDE " SEARCHES in the span of ONE MONTH and have not ONE, but TWO results yielded within the SAME ZIP CODE as where your organization currently resides!

the national coaching search didn't go past the same floor of the hecht center
but, he's cheap and wont bang hookers or recruit killers so the bot ok'd it before going back to the country club

You mean the Wisconsin game where they had an extra 19 minutes of time of possession and an extra 29 plays because our offense couldn't stay on the field? Or that they were man-handling our D-line without our two best d-lineman? Not making excuses, but it kind of sucks when your offense has a 6:4 completion-to-interception ratio or convert only three 3rd downs all game. I watched all the games this year and Manny's defense is far from the one to blame.
Yes, that Wisconsin game where on the opening drive of the game (before time of possession came into play) they marched down the field at 10 yards a clip even though we knew it was coming. While Manny's defense was not to blame for most of the year consider our opposition. We didn't play a murder's row of offensive juggernauts. We were average at best and got b*tch slapped whenever we played a top offense. Additionally, we let journeyman QBs look like Heisman contenders.

Unless you're content on winning the Coastal once a decade, I'm as concerned about Manny's defense as offense. Perhaps even more so because he has a streak of arrogance and thinks his defense is not an issue.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back