Diaz Should Take UM's Entire Defensive Staff to TCU for a Clinic

Diaz isn’t going to consult anyone about something he doesn’t think is the root of the problem. He is staunch believer in his defense
After watching a Youtube breakdown of the defense in the UNC game, I soured on Diaz even more. The lack of SIMPLE "in game" adjustments was atrocious. Add in the way he threw his team under the bus not holding himself and his coaching staff accountable after the game was inexcusable. When you see the whiteboard diagnosis that could and should have been done after the 1st or 2nd series of the game, you can't understand why no adjustments were made that any High School coach could make. Diaz was defeated schematically by Mack Brown. Diaz had his Dline shooting gaps while our slow footed and slow diagnosing LBs could not get to the ball carrier. In fairness to the LBs, NONE of the DEs set an edge to funnel the RB to them.

I'm not optimistic on Diaz. I don't get all jiggy on the off season player acquisitions because I don't think he's a good coach. He's just an average coach and needs superior talent to make his scheme work. The fact that he's unwilling to learn from other coaches and tweak his defense is an indictment on his attitude.

Take a look at the whiteboard breakdown. It's very low tech that was done during a live call in show, but you'll get the point if you're like me and the UNC running game is implanted in your brain like bad nightmare. The simple X's and O's is more than enough to understand how simple UNC dismantled our defense without much resistance from the players or coaching staff. The poor tackling and freelancing was just the cherry on top of a scheme not suited for a team like UNC.

YouTube Whiteboard Miami Defense UNC Game

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think a better use of time is to go and look at a defense that doesn't run a 4-2-5 and is elite. Get some new ideas and see a different way of doing things. Is there utility in seeing someone who is marginally better at doing the same thing? Yes, I suppose there is. As I said, it's always good to network, and since they run a similar system, maybe you can poach their staff. However, a smart leader would go find someone who is doing things completely different and much more effectively because it could lead to a totally new way of viewing things. Maybe Diaz goes and sees an elite D running a 3-3-5 and says, "wait a minute, I think that scheme might actually be better for us."
There are no elite defenses that don't run the 4-2-5.
And the 3-3-5 is the same **** on the back-end. (secondary)
Ignore the "3-3" part of it, that's just the front. It's nothing more than hands in the dirt. It's the number '5' that matters most.

Anything Diaz gets from Patterson's 4-2-5 can be applied directly to a 3-3-5.

How do I know? Cause I basically run a 3-3-5 with TCU 4-2-5 concepts in my secondary.
3-3-5 is just a 3-4 with Nickel instead of a Sam Outside Linebacker.

If Diaz wants to create an ALL AROUND solid scheme then he can take pieces from everybody. Utilize Patterson's 4-2-5 concepts in his secondary. Utilize some of Iowa State's Odd Front concepts. Mix it in with his 4-front stuff.

You don't need to run the same scheme as somebody to take/use some of their concepts.
You can run a 4-3 or 3-4 and still benefit from utilizing some of Patterson's 4-2-5 coverage concepts.

TCU has given up 30+ points 23 times since 2016.

Miami has given up 30+ points 14 times since 2016.

Patterson is a fine coach, but there should be more posts on the TCU board about learning from Miami's defense than there should on the Miami boards about learning from TCU's defense.

And before you make yourself look like a fool and talk about talent, TCU had the #3 recruiting class in the Big 12 in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020. He's not doing "more with less".

2016 they were 4-5 in the league
2017 they were 7-2 in the league
2018 they were 4-5 in the league
2019 they were 2-6 in the league
2020 they were 5-4 in the league

Last 5 seasons, with the 3rd best recruiting classes annually, they're 22-22 in their conference. I wonder when the next plane to Ft. Worth leaves. Yawn.

Advertisement
Very common practice.
It’s common practice for college coaches to go to pro teams or even go to other sports..... I may be wrong, but I don’t think its that common college to college. May happen as a one off but don’t think it’s that common

It’s common practice for college coaches to go to pro teams or even go to other sports..... I may be wrong, but I don’t think its that common college to college. May happen as a one off but don’t think it’s that common
IDK about the frequency, but College coaches sharing info with other College coaches is more common than you think.

**** Meyer developed His offensive scheme from visiting different College & Pro teams when He got hired at Bowling Green.

Unless you're a direct competitor, most coaches like to share what they have.

Nah it’s pretty common. Diaz has even mentioned it before. A lot of these guys have coached together along the way and have good relationships

Lol, Diaz always thinks he’s the smartest man in the room. No way does he do the right think and learn from his betters.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back