Diaz Should Take UM's Entire Defensive Staff to TCU for a Clinic

Coaches make trips to other schools every offseason to “learn.” If I remember correctly Golden came up to ECU when he was at Miami. If you needed another reason to laugh at what a joke he was.

One of those ECU coaches he went to spend time with was a young up and coming QB coach/OC named Lincon Riley for what its worth

Advertisement
Let's say Miami had TCUs defense this year. Ranked #35 in ppg at 24.2. Miami only scored 24 against UNC and 19 against Clemson. That's pathetic, especially against UNC's mediocre D. Miamis record might be one game better 9-2, OK St being the key difference. Offense wins games. That's what football is in the 2020s. It's basically turned into arena league football.

PPG
2016 Miami #12 TCU #64
2017 Miami #28, TCU #16
2018 Miami #18 TCU #40
2019 Miami #23 TCU #58
2020 Miami #51 TCU #35

If someone told you that team A's defense was better than team B's defense 3 out of the last 5 years, but team A should go try to be more like team Bs defense, you'd think theyd have it backwards.

If anything those numbers show that whoever was calling plays for Miami was much better from 2016-2018 and they should try to get that guy back. Wait a minute....

Team B plays in a conference with better offense, though.

Their defense is an anomaly in conference that hates to play defense.

What happened to the defensive coordinator for team A when he coached in the same conference as team B? Oh yeah, he got fired for giving up record breaking numbers to the offense.

What happened when said coordinator faced his old boss from that conference this year? Yep, his team gave up record breaking numbers.

It’s like his defense struggles with offenses from that conference. He even gave up 37 in the bowl game to a struggling offense from that conference.

Diaz can learn a TON from the coach who has consistently done one of the best jobs defending defenses in that conference. While he is at it, he needs to talk to Iowa States defensive coordinator too.

I agree. With the young talent infused now in this Defense, Diaz has a great problem. He has a lot of great pieces that play the same positions currently. He needs to go watch and learn to start incorporated new wrinkles with what he likes to do. First thing I would like him to do is figure how to play K. Smith and Gilbert together way more. One of them needs to move positions. I would like them to keep K. Smith as the Striker/LB. Ultimately we need to play faster and more physical in the secondary and linebackers.

Team B plays in a conference with better offense, though.

Their defense is an anomaly in conference that hates to play defense.

What happened to the defensive coordinator for team A when he coached in the same conference as team B? Oh yeah, he got fired for giving up record breaking numbers to the offense.

What happened when said coordinator faced his old boss from that conference this year? Yep, his team gave up record breaking numbers.

It’s like his defense struggles with offenses from that conference. He even gave up 37 in the bowl game to a struggling offense from that conference.

Diaz can learn a TON from the coach who has consistently done one of the best jobs defending defenses in that conference. While he is at it, he needs to talk to Iowa States defensive coordinator too.

I think a better use of time is to go and look at a defense that doesn't run a 4-2-5 and is elite. Get some new ideas and see a different way of doing things. Is there utility in seeing someone who is marginally better at doing the same thing? Yes, I suppose there is. As I said, it's always good to network, and since they run a similar system, maybe you can poach their staff. However, a smart leader would go find someone who is doing things completely different and much more effectively because it could lead to a totally new way of viewing things. Maybe Diaz goes and sees an elite D running a 3-3-5 and says, "wait a minute, I think that scheme might actually be better for us."

Or we could have just hired Gary Paterson in 06 like jimmy suggested instead of make our first “make a wish” hire. 🤢 and now we’re on our second “make a wish” hire. 🤮
He DID want the job too. He's the only guy aside from Butch who wanted the job I wish we would've hired.

Advertisement
I think a better use of time is to go and look at a defense that doesn't run a 4-2-5 and is elite. Get some new ideas and see a different way of doing things. Is there utility in seeing someone who is marginally better at doing the same thing? Yes, I suppose there is. As I said, it's always good to network, and since they run a similar system, maybe you can poach their staff. However, a smart leader would go find someone who is doing things completely different and much more effectively because it could lead to a totally new way of viewing things. Maybe Diaz goes and sees an elite D running a 3-3-5 and says, "wait a minute, I think that scheme might actually be better for us."
You know who's 4-2-5 he needs to study? Some will balk based on the name, but he needs to study what Butch did here at the helm. It DID win us a natty.

One of those ECU coaches he went to spend time with was a young up and coming QB coach/OC named Lincon Riley for what its worth
I know I was there at the time and from what I was told from a couple of my friends on the team is that he spent far more time with Ruff on defense than he did with Lincoln.

Let's say Miami had TCUs defense this year. Ranked #35 in ppg at 24.2. Miami only scored 24 against UNC and 19 against Clemson. That's pathetic, especially against UNC's mediocre D. Miamis record might be one game better 9-2, OK St being the key difference. Offense wins games. That's what football is in the 2020s. It's basically turned into arena league football.

PPG
2016 Miami #12 TCU #64
2017 Miami #28, TCU #16
2018 Miami #18 TCU #40
2019 Miami #23 TCU #58
2020 Miami #51 TCU #35

If someone told you that team A's defense was better than team B's defense 3 out of the last 5 years, but team A should go try to be more like team Bs defense, you'd think theyd have it backwards.

If anything those numbers show that whoever was calling plays for Miami was much better from 2016-2018 and they should try to get that guy back. Wait a minute....
Exactly!! I don’t know if Diaz calling plays will make any difference at all but as Canes fans we should all be praying that Diaz turns this around. He is young and Miami is his dream job so he isn’t going anywhere unless he tanks and gets fired. Every time we have had a coach worth a **** they have left to go to the NFL or wherever Shnellenberger went. We won’t have to worry about that with Diaz so if he can get this sleeping giant woken up again we will be set for decades. Only time will tell but I for one really hopes he succeds for the longevity aspect that would create.

Diaz isn’t going to consult anyone about something he doesn’t think is the root of the problem. He is staunch believer in his defense
I Guess If You Say So GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
If Diaz gets back to 2018 level that’s enough to win double digit games , remember that defense was constantly on the field Bc the offense was so bad and the punter always shanked it putting them in tough spots
To make the playoffs our offense will need to take the next step , king needs to come back at a heisman level , fingers crossed for now

TCU and other 4-2-5 teams basically play Dime packages replacing a LB with a box safety/money... .this is how Manny could put our best talent on the field at once...
We already do this. Their box safety/ money is our striker. They are just more aggressive on the back end with alot of man defense alot of cover 4 and cover 0

Advertisement
Looking at an iowa st would be a good place or miss st. Learning that 3-3-5 would be a good change of pace. Clemson has used it alot the last two years

Coach Diaz should take his entire defensive staff to TCU for a week or two coaching clinic in how TCU runs their program and defensive 4-2-5 scheme. For the last 2 decades TCU has been a defensive machine both in turning out nfl players and on field production all with 2 and 3 star players.

TCU plays fundementally sound defense that is based on attacking, this is what Manny's defense is supposed to look like and doesn't need elite players, just fast players.

TCU's 4-2-5 defense and has developed countless all Americans and NFL players as a DB position coach TRob could benefit from learning TCU's scheme as a variant to his tutelage in Will Muschamp's gap control (UM has a killer DB room now, so this would be ideal in keeping the players from transferring because TCU'S defensive strength is their backfield).

Coach Simpson could also benefit from seeing a different perspective on how to run a college program and a 4-2-5 defensive scheme that actually is fundamentally sound, highly successful an most importantly extremely aggressive.

Bringing in a few seasoned coaches for a few years will allow Manny to hit reset to the point were his defensive scheme can be fixed/adjusted to become a hybrid of TCU'S and Diaz's 4-2-5 schemes.

@Coach Macho @gogeta4 @DMoney what are your thoughts on TCU's scheme and Coach Diaz taking Miami's entire defensive staff to TCU for a two week coaching clinic this spring?

Or in YouTube if the Vimeo doesn't work.
This video is 4yrs old and it's content could have completely changed the UNC game.

Go Canes

Bro; in order for Diaz to consult, he would need to admit his system is flawed. Mais, au contraire mon frére....Diaz doesn’t think that, hence he’s taking over play calling. Manny is not going to listen to someone else about how he runs things.

I agree w/ u; but that ain’t happening.

Advertisement
Back