Diaz Should Take UM's Entire Defensive Staff to TCU for a Clinic

Advertisement
Let's say Miami had TCUs defense this year. Ranked #35 in ppg at 24.2. Miami only scored 24 against UNC and 19 against Clemson. That's pathetic, especially against UNC's mediocre D. Miamis record might be one game better 9-2, OK St being the key difference. Offense wins games. That's what football is in the 2020s. It's basically turned into arena league football.

PPG
2016 Miami #12 TCU #64
2017 Miami #28, TCU #16
2018 Miami #18 TCU #40
2019 Miami #23 TCU #58
2020 Miami #51 TCU #35

If someone told you that team A's defense was better than team B's defense 3 out of the last 5 years, but team A should go try to be more like team Bs defense, you'd think theyd have it backwards.

If anything those numbers show that whoever was calling plays for Miami was much better from 2016-2018 and they should try to get that guy back. Wait a minute....
Well done, but we have to ban you for injecting objective numbers into a thread. How dare you rely on statistics.

If you normalize those defensive rankings by taking into account roster talent and quality of opponent offenses an you know TCU would come out miles ahead. Considering TCU plays in the first team to 50 points wins big 12 conference and TCU'S roster is filled with 90% two and three star players.

So yes TCU'S coaches are much better than UM's staff all things being equal.
**** NFL teams have gone to coaching clinics at TCU to learn how to combat the RPO and Spread offenses. When has even 1 NFL team called Coach Diaz for coaching advice?

Go Canes

in your OP you argued that Patterson does more with less...then when that was debunk’d you said “oh let’s normalized”....

Naw.

3FD1B8BF-AA69-4C40-9D2E-B086027C7DDA.gif

Advertisement
If you normalize those defensive rankings by taking into account roster talent and quality of opponent offenses an you know TCU would come out miles ahead. Considering TCU plays in the first team to 50 points wins big 12 conference and TCU'S roster is filled with 90% two and three star players.

So yes TCU'S coaches are much better than UM's staff all things being equal.
**** NFL teams have gone to coaching clinics at TCU to learn how to combat the RPO and Spread offenses. When has even 1 NFL team called Coach Diaz for coaching advice?

Go Canes

I think it's always good to learn what others are doing, even if the takeaway is "yeah I think my style is better." But maybe there is still a nugget that's useful or at the very least Diaz can add to his rolodex for the future if he's impressed with a smart GA or LB coach. I don't think TCU's D is that much better than Miami's D, normalized or not.

CFB is a game of cat and mouse. In 2016, Miami had a top 15 defense with the 4-3. Then it took a small step back in 2017 and fell out of the top 25. Diaz evolved and went to a 4-2-5 and Miami was top 25 again. Then in 2019 & 2020 the best spread OCs figured it out and even the most talented defenses with top DCs (Bama, Clemson, UGA, OSU, LSU) were virtually helpless against elite offenses. No DC has been able to show that he's figured out how to consistently shut down top offenses in the last couple of years. Of course, maybe there is one game a year where the top DC will keep a top offense to under 30, but then the next top offense they play will look at film and drop 45 on that DC.

Maybe we've come to a point where the rules are so tilted in favor of offenses that the difference between an elite DC and average DC isn't all that great. From a cost benefit perspective, is it worth paying 2 million for an "elite DC" whose defense gives up 22 ppg when you can get an average DC for 800k that gives up 25 ppg? If I'm doing the budget, I'd rather take that 1.2 million and pour it into getting the offense right because I think that's going to make a bigger difference in W/Ls over a top DC. Elite DCs might all get "normalized" as well in the next 2-3 years, to the point that nearly all defensive schemes are more or less equal in terms of effectiveness (flip a coin as to whether Diaz's 4-2-5, Pattersons 4-2-5, or someone elses 3-3-5 is superior), the real difference maker on that side of the ball is going to be who wins the talent arms race, irrespective of scheme.

TCU does a really nice job with creative blitzes. Our blitzes can be a little too gimmicky but hopefully Diaz can get that fixed.

TCU and other 4-2-5 teams basically play Dime packages replacing a LB with a box safety/money... .this is how Manny could put our best talent on the field at once...

Advertisement
Gary Patterson is a GREAT Defensive Coach....I'm talking Elite....JJ wanted him here at UM....and so did yours truly....

Or Miami could just hire TCU’s staff.

I get your point though - Miami’s staff doesn’t know what the **** it’s doing and has **** for experience, so why not try to have them go learn something.

Advertisement
in your OP you argued that Patterson does more with less...then when that was debunk’d you said “oh let’s normalized”....

Naw.

Did you miss the part about how several NFL teams for years have sent their coaches to TCU to learn how to combat modern offenses? My proposal has not been debunked TCU does more with less, to the point their programs openly embraces it. Manny and company could a masters class in 4-2-5 defensive philosphy from Gary Patterson and company.

Go Canes

Advertisement
I've posted about TCU before, my wife is an alumna, but Gary is past his prime and TCU sucks. Their defense gets rocked by teams that they out recruit.

Even past his prime Patterson can still teach Manny Diaz a whole helluva alot about running the 4-2-5.

Go Canes

If you and JJ wanted him then that’s enough for me.

You know that old saying, "a million frenchmen can't be wrong?" I feel that way right now with this site's obsession with the DC. I don't get it. That would be super important if this was 2012. In 2021, the difference between an average DC and an elite DC isn't massive. If I was working with a fixed budget, it would be wise to focus resources on the offense, not defense. Let's look at Clemson, Bama, Ohio State, Notre Dame. Those are the playoff teams, with "elite defenses." They all gave up an average of roughly 20 ppg this year (weird that there is almost no variation- basically all at 20). Miami with its terrible, awful no-good DC with a terrible scheme, gave up 27 ppg. So there is a one TD difference between #13 defense (Bama) with an elite DC and the #51 defense (Miami) with an absolutely atrocious DC. It looks like the magic number for a playoff team is 20 ppg on defense.

Now let's say Diaz is not even an "above average" DC but merely average. With Diaz calling plays, it's not unreasonable to say the defense would give up roughly 24 ppg (right in the middle of the elite and the atrocious). That's a 4 point difference between a playoff defense and an average defense. On offense Bama averaged 48, Clemson averaged 43, Ohio State averaged 41, Notre Dame averaged 33. It was clearly obvious that one of those three wasn't even remotely competitive with the others because it couldn't score. So the Magic number on offense is 41. That's a full TD difference between the lowest scoring of the elite offenses and an above average offense like Miami (Miami was #26 with 34 ppg). On offense, there is a 7 point differential between a playoff team and Miami; and a 4 point difference on defense between a playoff team and Miami. Miami is much closer to a playoff team with an average defense than it is with an above offense. If we are going to panic about something, it seems that we worrying about being much further away from a playoff team on offense than a playoff team on defense.

Advertisement
Back