Diaz on the Cusp of returning "Gary Ferman"

Liar Lying GIF by Hey Mikey!
Lying about what? Resistance to Jurich? Wanting someone other than Mario? Some BOT wanting to retain Manny? Manny’s daddy pulling strings? I believe all those things have been discussed here and other threads. Am I lying about being an Alum, nope class of 73. Lying about giving up my season tickets? *** no. They *** up this opportunity and keep Manny I’m gone.

Advertisement
Lying about what? Resistance to Jurich? Wanting someone other than Mario? Some BOT wanting to retain Manny? Manny’s daddy pulling strings? I believe all those things have been discussed here and other threads. Am I lying about being an Alum, nope class of 73. Lying about giving up my season tickets? *** no. They *** up this opportunity and keep Manny I’m gone.
I amazed how you just chose to ignore the basic information that has been shared here the past couple of days and stick with being miserable. Have fun.

Even though some of us have Kiffin as #1 and Mario as #2, I realize that for the BOT it's Mario or bust. If he says no, then maybe they move onto someone else, but I can also see them sticking with Diaz another year and making a run at Mario again next season. My guess is Mario was slightly leaning towards staying with Oregon prior to the Utah loss, now the needle is pointing slightly towards UM. Firing Diaz before the end of the season doesn't really do much except give a new HC prospect leverage in negotiations. Doesn't help with recruiting either. Mario can't start recruiting for UM while he is at Oregon. UM telling recruits, "We don't have a HC but we are talking to some big names" isn't much of a selling point. AD has to come first, let that guy talk numbers with Mario. It's extremely frustrating to wait, but Mario is not going anywhere but UM if he leaves Oregon, so I can understand why this is moving slowly.

It’s pretty clear that they have zero respect for the fans. You don’t just let a situation like this fester. All we’ve heard is conflicting anonymous leaks… which just makes everything worse. It’s going to be difficult to buy in completely even if they make right moves… Manny comes back and I’m done… I should be done anyway. We all should.

Never underestimate the level of arrogance in some of these circles. Some are clueless and others are disgustingly dismissive of the history and passionate support of fans around this program. They will make decisions and take sides based on their pompous egos without any regard to what fans want. It is 99% kiss a$$ loyalties and connections run.

Advertisement
To an extent, I agree. But name the best players on Manny's teams -- KJ. Jaelen. Roche. Tyrique. Rambo. King (last year at least; imagine how boned we would have been without him in 2020).

All transfers. Really an indictment on his ability to develop players. That has to count against him.
To some degree sure. But as long as those gaps get filled I can live with it.

Even though some of us have Kiffin as #1 and Mario as #2, I realize that for the BOT it's Mario or bust. If he says no, then maybe they move onto someone else, but I can also see them sticking with Diaz another year and making a run at Mario again next season. My guess is Mario was slightly leaning towards staying with Oregon prior to the Utah loss, now the needle is pointing slightly towards UM. Firing Diaz before the end of the season doesn't really do much except give a new HC prospect leverage in negotiations. Doesn't help with recruiting either. Mario can't start recruiting for UM while he is at Oregon. UM telling recruits, "We don't have a HC but we are talking to some big names" isn't much of a selling point. AD has to come first, let that guy talk numbers with Mario. It's extremely frustrating to wait, but Mario is not going anywhere but UM if he leaves Oregon, so I can understand why this is moving slowly.
I'd say that scenario is extraordinarily unlikely. If Mario doesn't leave now there's no logical reason to think "making another run" would wield more success.

Manny has had to (1) replace the entire offensive staff after the first year of his tenure, (2) fire his hand-chosen DC during his second year, (3) failed to fix the issue when he self-appointed himself the man to take control of the defense, and (4) has needed to rely HEAVILY on the transfer portal to get his best players.

It's time to admit that HE IS the problem, and that giving him the ability to "fix" the issue overlooks the fact that any such issue is his responsibility.
Agree, I think he is the problem and has to go. But if he does stay he needs to agajn make a lot of changes. It’s a crappy situation to be in but the status quo is not gonna work next year.

Agree, I think he is the problem and has to go. But if he does stay he needs to agajn make a lot of changes. It’s a crappy situation to be in but the status quo is not gonna work next year.

But if the guy continues to have to "make a lot of changes," isn't that enough to see that he's the problem?

The defense needs to be overhauled. The recruiting/evaluation process needs to be revamped. And with Rhett going to SMU (likely), there may need to be another offensive system installed. Plus all the holes that will need to be filled via the transfer portal for previous recruiting misses.

I mean, at this point don't you just fire a guy who clearly doesn't have a clue and bring in a new staff? What do you gain by holding on to Manny?

Advertisement
I like the part about Kiffin campaigning behind the scenes for the Miami job. If he wants to be here you punt Manny to the moon.

I give him some leeway for the transfer portal. First of all, most of those kids he brought in have worked out really well, secondly it's kind of a burgeoning reality for a lot of teams. But everything else is fair game. He put himself in this situation.
Meanwhile manny refused to take players that wouldn’t commit to giving him 2 years. So he refused to pick up the dude that instead went to FSU and singlehandedly beat him, and also trot out the worst LB crew we’ve seen.

Meanwhile manny refused to take players that wouldn’t commit to giving him 2 years. So he refused to pick up the dude that instead went to FSU and singlehandedly beat him, and also trot out the worst LB crew we’ve seen.
Not bringing in a LB was just unforgivable and stupefying. Maybe he thought Brooks would be healthy. Still, bad bad roster evaluation.

Advertisement
Advertisement
They will permanently damage their relationship w the fanbase if he comes back. That’s IMO of course, but I think it’s at that point.

The Hurricanes have begun a national athletic director search orchestrated by the search firm, Turnkey ZRG. There is no current timeline on the search.

The new AD might still decide he wants a different coach immediately, but that is not likely or expected at the moment

The news of a likely Diaz return has apparently filtered to Diaz himself as he has been telling staffers and players in the past 24 hours that he will be back

FYI, Turnkey was the search firm that hired the ACC Commissioner, and PAC 12 commissioner

057FE9F7-E73E-48BF-A798-2C8E6A8579EA.png

Can I just say these coaching searches and AD hires never go the way of the narrative being written on the message boards or on social media. Major Applewhite? Just sit back and relax. Get ready for Thanksgiving dinner. As a Canes fan you will get an update as to who’s been hired and it won’t be anyone you were pushing for nor will it be anyone that was being speculated. And you’ll find out your energy was wasted. Search is on. Wait it out. Dont pay for subscriptions. **** will happen anyway. Go Canes.

Advertisement
Back