***** Diaz on Joe Rose

What were the missed tackle numbers? I know 44 got his **** put on the turf. And I know TC missed one on that final drive..tbh those were the only glaring ones..app wasn’t 1 dimensional the other night. We shut down there bread and butter, they went with that inside zones/counters and quick pass game instead. D wasn’t “dominant” but wasn’t bad at all

You are being thoughtful on your posts regarding the defense. That is so needed on this site.

It’s important to be realistic in analyzing the defense. While their performance was less than stellar, it wasn’t the driver in Saturday’s inadequate performance. The offense was my major issue.

Lack of DLine pressure is my major concern re: the defense as of now. To me, anyway.

I’m not sure what kind of a defensive performance we end up putting in this year, maybe it end up being really bad - who knows at this point - but again with respect to the defense, it was nowhere near the worst aspect of the team’s performance v App State, other than my concern regarding lack of pressure.

The defense played well enough to allow the offense to run away with the game.

Faint praise, but that’s what I’m seeing.

Advertisement
App state shouldn’t score on us lol..App state is a good program. Our offense definitely needs to execute better when the D/STs sets them up tho..just off the top of my head The D gave up 16..held them to less than 7 yards Per play..under 3.5 per rush. The D played well
stop the cap app state is hot buns

If we are being fair, App State is a good team.

Per the power rankings of many experts, they are right around No. 30 in the nation. This makes them close to a pick 'em vs Va Tech, about a 4.5 dog to UNC on a neutral, and higher than pretty much everyone else Miami plays (pitt is the next team and literally 1 spot behind App State).

These aren't my power ratings, these are from guys that do it for a living. App was probably the 3rd or 4th best team we will face all szn .

Stats can be deceiving. App St moved on us at will. WRs were still open & we were still getting gashed, hence why I kept saying in the game day thread, “thank God for Chase Brice” meaning if we played a QB worth a ****, App St lights us up for another, at least, 10 points.

Right now, this team seems very disjointed. We have good moments on both sides, but I see very little cohesion. I see body language that’s just unbecoming of a team that’s confident.

I’ll tell u all right now, it’s imperative we beat MSU. I told one poster that game is more important to me than Bama, b/c it will show us how we’re going to fair against P5 teams w/ middling talent (alias our ACC Schedule).
Yeah, the stat guys love to throw numbers out like they actually mean anything. It just helps them paint the picture they want.

Our D stats don''t record all App St missed opportunities when the D was exposed once again. How many wide open WR dropped the ball for App St? Not to mention were playing App St...any stat you can show should have been better.

Anyone who gets it can watch the game and know both sides of the ball were poor. When you don't know anything you find stats to help you sleep at night.

Advertisement
Stats can be deceiving. App St moved on us at will. WRs were still open & we were still getting gashed, hence why I kept saying in the game day thread, “thank God for Chase Brice” meaning if we played a QB worth a ****, App St lights us up for another, at least, 10 points.

Right now, this team seems very disjointed. We have good moments on both sides, but I see very little cohesion. I see body language that’s just unbecoming of a team that’s confident.

I’ll tell u all right now, it’s imperative we beat MSU. I told one poster that game is more important to me than Bama, b/c it will show us how we’re going to fair against P5 teams w/ middling talent (alias our ACC Schedule).

Understood but you’ve always been a stat head too. To a certain extent they eliminate emotion and inherent bias.

At the end the offense was dog****

Yeah, the stat guys love to throw numbers out like they actually mean anything. It just helps them paint the picture they want.

Our D stats don''t record all App St missed opportunities when the D was exposed once again. How many wide open WR dropped the ball for App St? Not to mention were playing App St...any stat you can show should have been better.

Anyone who gets it can watch the game and know both sides of the ball were poor. When you don't know anything you find stats to help you sleep at night.

Does that mean we don’t hear negative stats about our team anymore?

Advertisement
If the point here is that the offense was a bigger problem than the defense against App State, I'm in violent agreement. If the point is our defense is acceptable, I respectfully can't get there. I'm too lazy to dig up stats or re-watching a painful game, but first time around I remember screaming at my TV watching soft coverage, missed tackles, bad angles, overly complicated schemes and gimmicks, as a third-tier program moved the ball up and down the field.

What changes are observable since Manny took over for Mini-Me (Baker)? I see a defensive that will rack up good stats against weak opponents, not stand up well against decent offenses, and will get embarrassed by elite ones. Manny will conveniently blame the problems on the offense, as did Al Golden.

No cap.

Nobody is satisfied with that performance on Saturday.

The guy that you’re scolding has been one of the most reasonable posters in terms of trying to look at it objectively. Nobody is happy with the performance on Saturday other than squeaking out a win against a presumably good G5 team.

Of course, that’s not what we should be doing with our talent base, we should not have to sweat out a win against those guys, I agree with that thought.

But you have to look at the overall performance and pick out the flaws. The big issue in the game was not the defense.

I agree the defense was way far from perfect, but again that was not the major failing issue.

Advertisement

The last two drops sum it up. Our D didn’t stop sheit, App State stopped themselves. The stats lie. Those guys were wide open at the most crucial point. We couldn’t do **** about it.

What were the missed tackle numbers? I know 44 got his **** put on the turf. And I know TC missed one on that final drive..tbh those were the only glaring ones..app wasn’t 1 dimensional the other night. We shut down there bread and butter, they went with that inside zones/counters and quick pass game instead. D wasn’t “dominant” but wasn’t bad at all
Bubba missed a bad one, so did amari carter

No cap.

Nobody is satisfied with that performance on Saturday.

The guy that you’re scolding has been one of the most reasonable posters in terms of trying to look at it objectively. Nobody is happy with the performance on Saturday other than squeaking out a win against a presumably good G5 team.

Of course, that’s not what we should be doing with our talent base, we should not have to sweat out a win against those guys, I agree with that thought.

But you have to look at the overall performance and pick out the flaws. The big issue in the game was not the defense.

I agree the defense was way far from perfect, but again that was not the major failing issue.
I agree the offense is worse but the defense has been steadily regressing since Manny took over. I never looked at the numbers but that's how it feels when I watch them. I would assume it's worse every year without looking it up

Advertisement
I agree the offense is worse but the defense has been steadily regressing since Manny took over. I never looked at the numbers but that's how it feels when I watch them. I would assume it's worse every year without looking it up

It is only two games into the season since he took over the defense. Still, I agree that there are huge concerns. I’m way more concerned about the offense, although I’m not gonna say that there’s no concern over the D either. It’s just doesn’t seem to be right now to be near as bad as the O. The defense play maybe just average on Saturday I wouldn’t say above average, I wouldn’t say terrible I would say just barely average against a decent G5 team. The defense played well enough to let the offense run away with it, which the O did not do.

Obviously anybody can say linebackers is an issue but not unexpected, but right now my major issue is lack of a consistent rush, so I will judge this after a few more games, or at least after Michigan State anyway.

The season really starts this Saturday.

We were never beating Bammer, and we put in a poor performance in a win versus a decent G5 team we should have beaten by at least two scores at minimum, so, so far it’s been an inauspicious start.

It’s what happens from this point forward that’s gonna tell the tale of the tape.

Last edited:
You just repeated what I said, so we agree.. Lol..
Ok my bad. Probably read it too fast. Thought you said he wasnt a Miami caliber LB at all and probably wouldnt even start for App State period either... Lol. Im a big Flagg defender. He shouldnt have been thrown into this. Alot of mistakes were made by coaching and Manny that lead up to Flagg literally being all we got at the moment. And hes performed admirably considering he wasnt a 5* recruit. I havent seen an instance where hes embarassed himself and shown he doesnt belong like Jennings, Steed..**** Huff cant even get on the field hes so useless. Dont get me started on him. Hes the one that deserves more backlash than Flagg.

It is only two games into the season since he took over the defense. Still, I agree that there are huge concerns. I’m way more concerned about the offense, although I’m not gonna say that there’s no concern over the D either. It’s just doesn’t seem to be right now to be near as bad as the O. The defense play maybe just average on Saturday I wouldn’t say above average, I wouldn’t say terrible I would say just barely average against a decent G5 team. The defense played well enough to let the offense run away with it, which the O did not do.

Obviously anybody can say linebackers is an issue but not unexpected, but right now my major issue is lack of a consistent rush, so I will judge this after a few more games, or at least after Michigan State anyway.

The season really starts this Saturday.

We were never beating Bammer, and we put in a poor performance in a win versus a decent G5 team we should have beaten by at least two scores at minimum, so, so far it’s been an inauspicious start.

It’s what happens from this point forward that’s gonna tell the tale of the tape.
MSU about to run run and run. We getting mauled up front

Advertisement
Back