Diaz names Perry starter for GT, sticks with Williams long-term

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Miami head coach Manny Diaz followed up Wednesday’s practice by announcing that N’Kosi Perry would make his second straight start at QB this week in place of an injured Jarren Williams.

“We’ve had two good days in preparation, it’s been really good to get Jarren Williams back on the field,” Diaz said. “He’s basically taken a fair amount of reps - much, much more than a week ago. But after watching the last couple of days, we’ll still continue to start N’Kosi Perry at quarterback. We just feel like N’Kosi’s development, plus where Jarren still is, plus just getting back in the swing of things, N’Kosi gives us the best chance to win.

“That being said, Jarren is going to prepare like he’ll play on Saturday and there could be a role. He knows that. But until we really get Jarren feeling like he’s 100%, N’Kosi is the answer.”

Despite Perry getting the nod vs. Georgia Tech on Saturday, Diaz continues to support Williams in the starting role.

“I’m still going to keep saying the same thing I’ve been saying - I think Jarren is our guy. N’Kosi will go out there and play and let’s see what happens… Jarren is our starting quarterback, we’ve never wavered from that.”

Although Williams won’t start the game against the Yellow Jackets, Diaz left the door open for Williams to get into the contest, saying Williams and Tate Martell were “2a and 2b” in terms of backing up Perry.

“He has responded well this week mentally,” Diaz said of Williams. “Physically, in terms of doing everything he wants to do - he could be ready to go Saturday, but from our preparation standpoint of knowing who the starter is, getting the team to rally behind the guy, everyone knowing N’Kosi is the guy so we can prepare for our final practices and walk-throughs with that idea.”

Could Perry win the job with a strong performance this week?

“Even though we named Jarren the starter, none of the guys are finished products,” Diaz said. “All the guys have strengths, things to improve on. Those things have continued to improve since. There’s a reason we picked Jarren and that reason still exists. However, we want them all to continue to develop. And don’t we have a good thing?”

Although walk-on Turner Davidson worked as UM’s kicker over usual starter Bubba Baxa last week in the win over UVA, Diaz said the job is still open – Davidson, Baxa, and walk-on Camden Price (who has returned from suspension) are all competing there. According to Diaz, the final determination will come during pre-game warmups.

"Right now, that race is still ongoing," Diaz said.

Advertisement
Key statement: “I think Jarren is our guy”

he needs to read the bill belichick book on talking to the media...LOL

I don’t care who starts....let’s just win baby!!!

let’s go Canes!
He reiterated Jarren was our guy in multiple questions that were asked not just one. First part of the question was from another reporter

but when Susan asked ,” manny, when you say Jarren is our guy what do you mean by that”

Diaz responded without Hesitation
“ Jarren is the starting qb and we have never wavered from that”

imo he doubled down on it

Advertisement
The Pitt game is key to the season imo...

We'll obviously beat GTech, if we fck around & have a close game vs GTech then no question they'll start Jarren vs Pitt, but if we blow GTech out like we're supposed to, then he'll have a real conundrum on his hands.

The Narduzzi lives to ruin teams seasons, that's his whole m/o as a Coach, his only goal is to fck up your season. Our season is already fcked up as is, but we still have to beat Pitt if we plan on doing anything, that game is actually the most important game we have left (until we play Duke on the road).

If Jarren starts vs Pitt & comes out sluggish on the road, does Diaz/Enos pull him, or do they stick with him? Are they gonna do whatever they can to win that game, or are they gonna be okay with a Loss as long as it's a L with "their guy"?

A lot will be riding on that game... We're gonna see what this staff is really made of (even more than we already have lol) in these next coming games (@ Pitt, @ FSU, LVille & @ Duke) to finish out the season.

Advertisement
He reiterated Jarren was our guy in multiple questions that were asked not just one. First part of the question was from another reporter

but when Susan asked ,” manny, when you say Jarren is our guy what do you mean by that”

Diaz responded without Hesitation
“ Jarren is the starting qb and we have never wavered from that”

imo he doubled down on it
If Kosi destroys GT and Diaz goes back to Jarren for Pitt then Diaz is a Corch and a half. If Kosi destroys GT and beats Pitt looking competent and Diaz goes back to Jarren, would that make you happy? Do you think that’s a smart on and off the field decision???

“Jarren is our starting quarterback, we’ve never wavered from that.”

I mean, ok? Manudo should be doing this at Temple but Blork Jormes gave them a gift.

The statement by Manudo isn’t him being a new coach, it’s him being a FCS coach. He is truly overwhelmed.

23BF7E42-087C-4A01-B7E8-811C6C0A940F.gif

If Kosi destroys GT and Diaz goes back to Jarren for Pitt then Diaz is a Corch and a half. If Kosi destroys GT and beats Pitt looking competent and Diaz goes back to Jarren, would that make you happy? Do you think that’s a smart on and off the field decision???
IF 100% healthy, I think He should have an opportunity to play again after a single bad quarter for only a redshirt freshman . But IF he’s not start , Perry. Manny has persisted on him being their guy. I think We will/should destroy tech regardless so it’s not going to mean that much to me but it will be something. I Just want production on offense and points

Last edited:
IF 100% healthy, I think He should have an opportunity to play again after a single bad quarter for only a redshirt freshman . But IF he’s not start , Perry. Manny has persisted on him being their guy. I think We will/should destroy tech regardless so it’s not going to mean that much to me but it will be something. I Just want production on offense and points
Why see what we all have seen again, Williams is a jag.
Brock get on the perry train man, your boy sucks

Advertisement
Advertisement
JW would be preferable behind a better OL. Each QB is a better fit in a different system. I guarantee Mike Leach would start JW over Perry, but I think Urban Meyer would start Perry over JW (Meyer wants a QB who can improvise). Lincoln Riley probably starts JW. Chip Kelly probably goes with Perry. No need to dump on either QB. I think both are P5 starting quality. Miami has no real offensive identity because the OL play is so poor (looking at you, Butch Barry). You have to assume a play is going to break down- someone will miss a key block. So the QB who can improvise gives you the better chance of winning. For this team, it's Perry.

Advertisement
Back