Diaz comments on second scrimmage

View as article
giphy.gif

Advertisement
To be honest I am glad to hear the defense was in control! We should expect that and I would be worried otherwise. Not really sweating the offense as a lot of people are. Remember everything the offense runs the “D” has probably seen 10 times over. So they should have a major advantage. Manny and Enos have this under control and you know they have a really good idea the direction they plan to go. I do have to say that I was leaning Tate at the beginning, but Jarren has showed up and would love to seem him get his shot.

Advertisement
That comment sounds good, but it still doesn't mean that the defense we face on the 24th won't also be better. I'm not going to gloss over the fact we have serious question marks on the OL, and most if you ask to give their honest opinion expect us to have to play more than one QB at some point this season. Again, I'm perfectly happy with an ugly win. I'm not expecting this O to look good in two weeks.
It'll be the first week of a new system with a new QB. So it stands to reason the offense will look totally different than it will at the end of the season. But, I wouldn't take much from these scrimmages or this "report."

Pressure busts pipes & makes diamonds...

I'm glad he's being hard on them, it's what they need.

Keep pushing until they show you exactly what they're made of, don't crown'em & make'em think that they've arrived.

Practice & scrimmages should be as hard as possible, because when game time comes your opponent isn't gonna go easy on you. Every championship team in both College & the NFL all say that their practices were harder than the actual games.

Don't let up one bit, if it takes until 15min before kickoff keep drilling it in their head that they need to be better & they must compete at all costs as if their life depended on it... No other standard will be accepted, that how you toughen them up for battle, that's how you win.
This times a million. All the great Caned teams of the past all have that common thread, they practiced so hard the game was easy. At least the offense is going up against aChampionship caliber D everyday in practice.

Advertisement
To be honest I am glad to hear the defense was in control! We should expect that and I would be worried otherwise. Not really sweating the offense as a lot of people are. Remember everything the offense runs the “D” has probably seen 10 times over. So they should have a major advantage. Manny and Enos have this under control and you know they have a really good idea the direction they plan to go. I do have to say that I was leaning Tate at the beginning, but Jarren has showed up and would love to seem him get his shot.

Attachments

• giphy(6).gif
    giphy(6).gif
    927 KB · Views: 9
They are going up against one of the best defenses in the nation while learning a new offense... it's a given that they are going to struggle moving the ball. The offense as a whole will be better on game day and as the season goes on.
I get that, but you can only go off of what you see and if it's been nothing but up and down play it makes selecting the starter very difficult.

Thsts the same **** ive been saying bro he going to take some lumps but **** might get his *** kick by gators but it will make him bette

Seems like you are describing Tate, and in a 7-3 game he might indeed be the answer. But if you are down 21-3 or whatever, time to air it out a bit more, or some other risks, and seems Perry or JW are then more likely?
We need the qb that won’t get us down

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
On the growth he saw in the team in the second scrimmage…

“It was uneven, to be honest. The first half, it was a massive butt-whooping. The defense just got after the offense. Very disappointing in the way that you started to see the ‘far away’ look in some guys on the offense, things we’re trying to eradicate from our program. We had a feeling the disease wasn’t fully cured. That being said, second half, the offense rallied. Where in the past, when things have not gone well, there would sort of be a tanking for the game. I saw a couple productive touchdown drives in the second half and guys showing some competitive fight and spirit, which is really what this camp and this offseason has all been about. That’ll be encouraging. But the self-inflicted wounds in the first half, not to mention, sometime you just take a beating – will be disappointing. It’s a good reality check. Conversely, defensively, to play as well as they played in the first half, and to sort of lose their edge in the second half, was disappointing. It’s like what we figured. We have not solved all of our issues. We are solving them. But to think we just snap our fingers and have it all fixed would be fooling ourselves.”
This is what tells me manny gets it, and is all over it. He understands and diagnoses and ain’t afraid to say it.

We may not be back yet, but we have not had a coach who would address this in 2 decades.

But, I wouldn't take much from these scrimmages or this "report."

Which is why in my first post that Brock quoted I said that the report was pretty much coach speak from Coach Diaz.

Edit: I think I just realized what you were responding to. When I said "that comment sounds good," I was referring to brock's comment and not Diaz's.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back