Diaz comments on second scrimmage

View as article
Advertisement
...The defense must show out 8/24. The offense won’t be ready

Let me add further...

The defense must show out 8/24 (as what has become too usual). The offensive line won’t be ready (as what has become the norm).

Fix Miami's OL struggles, season records MUCH different (for better) past 10 years.

With Trevon Hill & Rousseau getting multiple sacks (and the O Line "really struggling" in the scrimmage), it sounds like I was 100% correct to be concerned that UF will abuse our young OTs. Zion may be talented & he has clearly gained significant weight since arriving on campus but that doesn't make him experienced. It's a huge stage (being up against UF) in his first game. Sliding Scaife to OT and using Campbell is likely the lowest risk approach. At least it would likely prevent the OTs from being completely abused by UF. We need experienced players at the Tackle spots against UF or it will be a long night.

None of the QBs will be able to perform at a high level if they are operating under significant duress all night from UF's Defensive Ends. Manny & Coach Barry need to seriously assess the starting five on OL for the UF game. Zion should start really cutting his teeth against a significantly weaker opponent. I'm rooting for him to succeed but also realistic that he's a Freshman. Even Dorsey (a total winner) really struggled at the beginning of his first game against UW. Let's not roll over & concede the UF game this way. We have mature players on the OL. We need to use them for the UF game or the Offense will struggle.

We have tremendous skill position players on Offense (Jeff Thomas, Mallory, Brevin, Lingard (when healthy), Cam, DeeJay, Osborn, Pope & many others). We have a QB that can get the ball to them consistently as long as he's upright. That means it's the OL that is the problem.

If we go with Jarren now, we could have a gem in Mid October.

He has the most upside and from reports he’s been the steadiest in scrimmages. We must roll the dice on him
Yes, we had a gem all along, but we had the worst QB coach in the history of major college football at the helm. Give Jarren a medal for dealing with the ineptitude.

With Trevon Hill & Rousseau getting multiple sacks (and the O Line "really struggling" in the scrimmage), it sounds like I was 100% correct to be concerned that UF will abuse our young OTs. Zion may be talented & he has clearly gained significant weight since arriving on campus but that doesn't make him experienced. It's a huge stage (being up against UF) in his first game. Sliding Scaife to OT and using Campbell is likely the lowest risk approach. At least it would likely prevent the OTs from being completely abused by UF. We need experienced players at the Tackle spots against UF or it will be a long night.

None of the QBs will be able to perform at a high level if they are operating under significant duress all night from UF's Defensive Ends. Manny & Coach Barry need to seriously assess the starting five on OL for the UF game. Zion should start really cutting his teeth against a significantly weaker opponent. I'm rooting for him to succeed but also realistic that he's a Freshman. Even Dorsey (a total winner) really struggled at the beginning of his first game against UW. Let's not roll over & concede the UF game this way. We have mature players on the OL. We need to use them for the UF game or the Offense will struggle.

We have tremendous skill position players on Offense (Jeff Thomas, Mallory, Brevin, Lingard (when healthy), Cam, DeeJay, Osborn, Pope & many others). We have a QB that can get the ball to them consistently as long as he's upright. That means it's the OL that is the problem.
The TEs are going to be heavily involved in chipping/blocking so not to worry. The biggest issue of the game is can Jarren get the ball deep to Thomas/pope. If he can, were onto something big.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
It's obvious the OL is struggling as a unit, but probably more so on the edge. Coach praising the DE's and LB'ers means there were some breakdowns inside as well. My guess is Herbert and Campbell (or unit) just don't have the competitive spirits coach looking for, that dogg in them that says this "Muthaphucker ain't gonna beat me!"

Did anybody else think of Perry when Manny said some guys had the "Far Away" look?

That perfectly describes N'kosi when the offense struggled last year. He just looked lost at times
The very first person I thought of. I think he sealed his fate tonight as not being the guy. But who knows. Maybe he was the one that hit Osborn for the other late TD.. but yeah I thought about him. I mean he can’t be talking about either of the other two right? One wasn’t here last year and the other never played. Soooo 🤷‍♂️

Advertisement
I’m fine with either. Can’t really accurately judge any of these QBs without a live rush honestly. And I agree with that sentiment. Martell should start if you feel he can move the offense the best. If it’s because you don’t want to start a redshirt freshman then I’m against that idea
But Tate has had just as much game experience as Jarren why does the "redshirt freshman" thing matter with this situation?

Sounds about right; we have legit elite players playing on defense out here.

I would be shocked if this didn’t happen at some point.

I hope they name the starting QB this week, let that guy start to build some real confidence and chemistry with the first team

Advertisement
Back