Diaz - Best UM DC in 15 Years

Which is it? Rumored to be considered for the UCF job, or offered? If offered, why would he turn it down?
Your infatuation with Shannon as some football mastermind is bizarre. You say things are one way. Events of the past 5 years show something very different.

I get it. You're a big fan of Randy Shannon. I wish Shannon nothing but the best. I just don't think he's currently implementing some master plan to get a HC job. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to sway you from what you believe, so maybe we can just agree to disagree.

Im no BIG fan of Randy Shannon. I didn't lose sleep when he was fired and i wasn't happy when he was hired.

I'm the type of person that just defends people whether i like them or not.

Randy has no reason to lie about being offered jobs or wanting to learn under established coaches and strengthen his coaching connections.

Randy may not ever be A HC or DC again. But there is more evidence showing that its his choice then there is the opposite.

Advertisement
Randy's biggest problem was his lack of command of the English language. Although he wasn't stupid, he just couldn't talk. Distinctly possible he had some minor but no less unidentified learning disability.
Nah, his biggest problem was that his players quit on him and he couldn't put together a quality staff. What was it in that last game at the OB...48-0? Virginia? smh...And you think his command of the english language was his biggest problem?

I know there are many on the board that are disappointed in the hire however I think he is the best DC at UM in 15 years - my argument
- Donofrio - Dont need to argue this one
- John Lovett - After UM was coaching Hartford Colonials special teams
- Bill Young - After UM few years at Ok State then became a HIGH SCHOOL coach
- Tim Walton - Great DB coach - never asked to be DC at a major program
- Randy Shannon - Yes he was the DC during some great times but no one has hired him for the DC since

You have to go back to the Gorilla to find a DC that after they left Miami..... someone else wanted them in a big job

You make a good ,simple argument that is hard to refute. Shannon is the only one close and you rightly point out that no one has hired him since as a DC.

His has not done crap here yet. Let's wait and see. This whole staff needs to prove itself worthy of THE U.

Randy's biggest problem was his lack of command of the English language. Although he wasn't stupid, he just couldn't talk. Distinctly possible he had some minor but no less unidentified learning disability.

Randy's biggest problem had nothing to do with his public speaking. Elon Musk is a poor public speaker, yet he is a very successful CEO (several times over). Randy was an ineffective leader as the HC of a P5 school; essentially the CEO of a "company" with a multi-million dollar budget, more than a hundred employees, and multiple departments and functions.

He did well as a DC (although I have wondered how much was his coaching vs. the amazing talent he had at the time). But when tasked with leading and managing a more complex organization, he failed on several fronts. You can be a great position coach, or a great coordinator, and simply lack the skills to make the leap to HC. I've seen the same in my line of work; great physicians who could never lead a department or become a hospital or health system executive.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I know there are many on the board that are disappointed in the hire however I think he is the best DC at UM in 15 years - my argument
- Donofrio - Dont need to argue this one
- John Lovett - After UM was coaching Hartford Colonials special teams
- Bill Young - After UM few years at Ok State then became a HIGH SCHOOL coach
- Tim Walton - Great DB coach - never asked to be DC at a major program
- Randy Shannon - Yes he was the DC during some great times but no one has hired him for the DC since

You have to go back to the Gorilla to find a DC that after they left Miami..... someone else wanted them in a big job

smdh guy became a NFL DC, I'd think that trumps being a DC at a major program.

All those guys you listed have had seasons that were statistically better than the what Diaz has run.

Shannon can't get a major gig bc just like Butch he has the stink of a massive scandal on him. Guy was the HC during Shapiro's best days. He wasn't implicated in any wrong doing, and neither was Butch at UNC. But they both have that scarlet letter on them.

If not for Jeff Bowden, Randy would never have come close to the Miami HC job.

Randy was a below average DC.

Lil Jeff made him look like he knew what what was going on.

I completely understand giving Diaz a chance and not automatically thinking he is the worst hire in the world. But to crown the guy as the best DC in 15 years before he has even coached a game?

Why do ours fans constantly do this, regime after regime? Jesus Christ.

Advertisement

"Randy was a below average DC" - this is how u know someone is posting from a mental hospital.

The 2006 Miami team had a 7-6 record but the total defense was ranked 7th in the country... Explain that if he is a below average DC?

I completely understand giving Diaz a chance and not automatically thinking he is the worst hire in the world. But to crown the guy as the best DC in 15 years before he has even coached a game?

Well of course we have to wait to see how he does however 1) its the off season and this is what we do and 2) Multiple programs have hired Diaz as a DC where our past DC's dont seem to ever the call for the big job after they leave

Well of course we have to wait to see how he does however 1) its the off season and this is what we do and 2) Multiple programs have hired Diaz as a DC where our past DC's dont seem to ever the call for the big job after they leave
Neither of those two points support Diaz being Miami's best DC in 15 years, but I suppose we can just agree to disagree.

Advertisement
Are you serious OP... Randy Shannon is one of the best DCs Miami has ever had. Would've been the best option available, (which I have said a number of times already) for our program.... but Diaz runs the scheme we need and Richt is a very good coach so whatever.

If he so good then why hasn't he coached a Defense since he left Miami? Look at Randy's Defense whenever he played a team with a pulse. Warning, you won't like what you see....

This board is daily proof you can't fix stupid.

Advertisement
The 2006 Miami team had a 7-6 record but the total defense was ranked 7th in the country... Explain that if he is a below average DC?

A couple of years ago, D'Onofrio's D was ranked #15 , does that mean he was an "above average" DC?
I'm not looking at the schedule right now, but if I recall, Louisville was the only team that really put up points on that defense in 2006. Our defense was giving up like 14-17 points in the other losses, with our offense not even scoring 20 points.

The offense was always the issue in 2006 and had been for the greater part of that decade.

That's not to say that Shannon was some defensive wizard, but attempting to analogize him to Dorito is flat out stupid.

"Randy was a below average DC" - this is how u know someone is posting from a mental hospital.

RS is the best DC in Um History.................not even close!

Ummmmm. No. Diaz was a mediocre hire who has a really crappy track record, and Shannon was better. But Shannon is like the 4th or 5th best DC we've had. All the dudes under Dennis and JJ were easily better.

RS is the best DC in Um History.................not even close!

Ummmmm. No. Diaz was a mediocre hire who has a really crappy track record, and Shannon was better. But Shannon is like the 4th or 5th best DC we've had. All the dudes under Dennis and JJ were easily better.

RS......Not even close!

Advertisement
Back