Diaz - Best UM DC in 15 Years

ncncanes

Junior
I know there are many on the board that are disappointed in the hire however I think he is the best DC at UM in 15 years - my argument
- Donofrio - Dont need to argue this one
- John Lovett - After UM was coaching Hartford Colonials special teams
- Bill Young - After UM few years at Ok State then became a HIGH SCHOOL coach
- Tim Walton - Great DB coach - never asked to be DC at a major program
- Randy Shannon - Yes he was the DC during some great times but no one has hired him for the DC since

You have to go back to the Gorilla to find a DC that after they left Miami..... someone else wanted them in a big job

Advertisement
Nah we will see but randy did put up some very good defenses. Was horrible as a head coach but he was a good defensive coordinator

Hard to tell with Randy, honestly. Kind of like Coker as HC. He had SO much talent that it probably made him look better than he really was. Why else would NO ONE hire him as a DC? I honestly thought someone would hire him as a DC, and the only reason I can think no one has is because they feel his results were due to the huge talent advantage he had while at Miami, that he wouldn't have elsewhere. Still, I'm surprised no one has given him a shot at DC.

The bar hasn't exactly been set that high lately... it can only go up so he's got to be better than what we've had. The key is how much better? I'll wait until after the FSU game, see his adjustments, and then see where we're at.

Advertisement
I know there are many on the board that are disappointed in the hire however I think he is the best DC at UM in 15 years - my argument
- Donofrio - Dont need to argue this one
- John Lovett - After UM was coaching Hartford Colonials special teams
- Bill Young - After UM few years at Ok State then became a HIGH SCHOOL coach
- Tim Walton - Great DB coach - never asked to be DC at a major program
- Randy Shannon - Yes he was the DC during some great times but no one has hired him for the DC since

You have to go back to the Gorilla to find a DC that after they left Miami..... someone else wanted them in a big job

John Lovett after leaving miami coached DBs @ Texas Tech (2012), DBs For Philephia Eagles(2013-2014), CBs @ Cal-Berkeley (2015-present)

Bill Young retired to coach HS because he wanted to and was tired the guy is almost 70 something. An as for his coaching career the guy had lights defenses everywhere he went, Okie St that uptempo offense didn't mesh well with his aggressive defense leaving them on field.

So the jury is still out on Manny Diaz, in his coaching history he has not had a defense better than any of the people listed above don't kid yourself with excitement because he is new.

Go Canes

Randy's biggest problem was his lack of command of the English language. Although he wasn't stupid, he just couldn't talk. Distinctly possible he had some minor but no less unidentified learning disability.

You all realize Bill Young was coaching at Tulsa this year, right? (Tulsa's defense was the f'ing awful though, to be fair)

Hard to tell with Randy, honestly. Kind of like Coker as HC. He had SO much talent that it probably made him look better than he really was. Why else would NO ONE hire him as a DC? I honestly thought someone would hire him as a DC, and the only reason I can think no one has is because they feel his results were due to the huge talent advantage he had while at Miami, that he wouldn't have elsewhere. Still, I'm surprised no one has given him a shot at DC.

Randy has been offered DC and HC jobs. He just interviewed for the ucf spot.

It has nothing to do with talent advantage as we all have stated ad nauseam that donofrio and al would have totally screwed that same talent randy had.

Randy is a good defensive coach. Not perfect. but def. one of the best out there

Advertisement
So we are declaring him better than all of those guys before his defense even takes the field despite the fact that he's never had an elite defense in his entire career. Not saying he can't succeed here but this coronation seems a little premature.

Last edited:
I mean its not like Randy had a team full of pro bowlers from05-07. He put up some good numbers even when the talent started to fade. I think he wants a hc gig again and is trying to play the network game. Dude name has been brought up in a number of dc and hc vacancies. Also lets quit with the way he spoke. The man spoke fine. I mean we have a number southern coaches that have thick accents. Coaches like Dabo, Spurrier, Bowden, etc. wasn't gone be mistaken for someone who can quote Shakespeare's original texts.

Anyway from 01-04 RS had some serious talent but his derense was still strong in 05 and 06 with walk on pass rushers like Javon Nanton.

It's just hard for me to wrap my head around him being one of the best out there, but not getting a DC job at one of the best schools that pay the best coaches the best money. Know what I mean? He should be a DC right now if he were really one of the best in the business. Still, I think he should be a DC somewhere. Maybe it's not a TOP program, but you'd think SOMEONE would be after him as DC.

It has nothing to do with talent advantage as we all have stated ad nauseam that donofrio and al would have totally screwed that same talent randy had.

Randy is a good defensive coach. Not perfect. but def. one of the best out there

Nah we will see but randy did put up some very good defenses. Was horrible as a head coach but he was a good defensive coordinator

I thought so. But why can't he get a DC job somewhere?So many failed coaches get hired as coordinators -- Muschamp, others...

Advertisement
It's just hard for me to wrap my head around him being one of the best out there, but not getting a DC job at one of the best schools that pay the best coaches the best money. Know what I mean? He should be a DC right now if he were really one of the best in the business. Still, I think he should be a DC somewhere. Maybe it's not a TOP program, but you'd think SOMEONE would be after him as DC.

you have to actually TAKE a job though. Just because randy doesnt take jobs anywhere JUST TO SAY he has a specific title doesnt mean he isnt desired.

There are a lot of bad defenses out there man. If you think a broyles award winner, who has never shown that he can't field at least a serviceable defense, isnt getting offers then i dont know what to tell you man.

Randy is already respected as one of the best defensive teachers out there.. You can't knock him for traveling around to work under respected coaches and learning new things and developing new connections.

The man wants to be a head coach.

Right now he guts a slack job with cushy title, fat paycheck and without the responsibilities of a HC or DC.

Randy Shannon by a mile. I mean c'mon, just go look at the numbers he put up as defensive coordinator. Even 5 years after Butch left.

One thing Shannon knew how to do was keep it simple on defense, get at the QB with 4, and play press cover 2 behind it - rinse repeat. Can't knock the guy because our roster was loaded. Did he play no part in developing the talent as DC?

That's like discrediting the work Soldinger did with the RBs, or Mark Stoops with the DBs, etc.

Last edited:
People want to say Randys defense was susceptible to a running qb.

Name a defense that isnt!!?? A true dual threat offense is almost unstoppable.

But thats the only knock you can really put on Randy. If thats even a knock.

Advertisement
Top level DCs don't go 5 years without a DC gig. Please don't tell me that getting jobs as a position coach puts him in a better position to get a HC job. That makes no sense. I suspect that Shannon is just better suited to be a position coach.

Hey Randy. Please show me where he has been offered HC and DC jobs?

He has been a LBs coach at TCU, Arky, UF for a reason.

I agree - look at the number of great DC's that become Head Coaches, struggle to win, get fired as a Head Coach but are hired soon after as DC's
- Chizik is an example - Muschamp another

No one is beating down Randy's door --- not even smaller schools

Agreed Diaz has to show us something however his hire is step in the right direction

Larry Coker won coach of the year that year as well, so winning an award doesn't really mean that much. Also, wouldn't you think him taking over as a DC somewhere, and proving himself again, would be a quicker route to his next HC job? I do. I personally want to see him as a DC again.

you have to actually TAKE a job though. Just because randy doesnt take jobs anywhere JUST TO SAY he has a specific title doesnt mean he isnt desired.

There are a lot of bad defenses out there man. If you think a broyles award winner, who has never shown that he can't field at least a serviceable defense, isnt getting offers then i dont know what to tell you man.

Randy is already respected as one of the best defensive teachers out there.. You can't knock him for traveling around to work under respected coaches and learning new things and developing new connections.

The man wants to be a head coach.

Right now he guts a slack job with cushy title, fat paycheck and without the responsibilities of a HC or DC.

Advertisement
Back