Diaz addresses Early Signing Day haul, bowl game prep

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
After all the theatrics of early signing day had settled down, Miami head coach Manny Diaz took to the podium to express his satisfaction with the 18 new players that became Hurricanes today.

“The way I want to start is to not talk about their talents and achievements, but the mentality that makes them special - we made some changes to the way we recruit,” Diaz said. “We made changes staffing-wise (in the recruiting department)… The bigger change, we made a difference in what it means to be a Miami Hurricane, what it means to be committed.

“The 18 men that signed scholarships today, from the time they committed they never wavered. When we went into their homes in the course of November, it was `Not only are we with Miami, with the Canes, we’re coming to solve the problem, be the fix.’ A class with the mentality like that from top to bottom is very rare. We have a rare group of players.”

Will Miami take commitments from players in the 2021 class that still plan to take visits?

“If you’re committed to us you can take other visits, but we’ll look for somebody else,” Diaz said. “That’s why in our mind we did not lose a commitment today because he (Romello Height) had taken another visit.”

Whether you prefer 247Sports (18th), Rivals (15th), or ESPN (19th), each recruiting service pegged the early signing day haul of Miami's class as worthy of a top 20 national ranking. However, the Canes efforts were dampened a bit when they failed to add any new commits on early signing day, and they also lost one commit as well.

“Fairly or unfairly, signing day is decided by the ones at the end, which devalues (the commits),” Diaz said.

Even though the Canes ended the year at a disappointing 6-6 with two terrible losses to FIU and Duke to close out the regular season, Diaz was encouraged by how the core of the class never wavered.

“We finished the season as poorly as you can finish it and these 18 guys - these guys are fired up… that to me has been the most encouraging thing of this month,” Diaz said.

Of course, the Canes are still not done, and have another 2 months to add to the class ahead of the final signing day in February.

“In February, when the class is done in its entirety, we’ll have a chance to quality control,” Diaz said. “To have our class ranked where it’s ranked means we can recruit. We’ve got something special… From top to bottom this is a class we love these guys on the field, off the field.”

Diaz also reiterated his recruiting strategy to focus locally on South Florida before moving further out into Florida and then nationally.

“Dade County on up,” he said of his philosophy.

As for positions in the class he expects to add to, Diaz mentioned that bringing in a JUCO or transfer offensive lineman is certainly a possibility.

“A lot can happen in January,” Diaz said. “I would say we have it planned out, I’ll put it like that.”

Diaz was also asked about specific signees, including UM’s two star local running backs they landed in Jaylan Knighton and Don Chaney.

On Knighton: “I went to a Jamboree in Palm Beach County in Jaylan’s 10th grade year - you’re watching a ton of players, and in my mind he was the best player on the field that day. When you’re talking about trying to increase your explosiveness on offense - that can be a changer for a program. Jaylan provides that.”

On Chaney: “Donald has the speed to go all the way, is a sturdy guy. The way they complement each other, get them the ball.”

UM is in the middle of practice for the Independence Bowl against Louisiana Tech and Diaz said every position is having an open competition, including QB.

“The first few days in 7-on-7 we were repping all our quarterbacks,” Diaz said. “All the guys are out there competing.”

WR Jeff Thomas, DE Trevon Hill, and DE Jon Garvin all recently announced they would be sitting out of the bowl game to prepare for the NFL Draft, but Diaz does not expect any other players to sit out and is planning on having some of the younger players to take on bigger roles to replace those veterans.

“Jahfari (Harvey) will play, Jason Blissett could see some snaps,” Diaz said. “Sam Brooks should get in there, get some good action. Those are some guys that stand out.”

Diaz added that he expects DE Scott Patchan to be granted a medical waiver to return for a 6th year of eligibility, and also said he plans on having 13 early enrollees from the 2020 class at this point.

Advertisement
I saw this man's interview on ESPN.

This man comes off as such an overcompensating beta cuck. Like, you can see his wife just taking it from a gaggle of Brazzers extras in the background of that interview segment...

That is the way he came off in that video.

Incredible frustrating. Coker was an aw shucks geezer. Randy was a deer in the headlights that meant well. Al Golden's leads were weak and wasn't close to hitting his sales quota for the month type of guy out there, just overwhelmed and sweaty. Mark Richt was here for vacation and just said "sorry" and told us to keep the tip for wasting our time.

All bad in their own way.

But none of them ever came off as a beta cuck. None of'em. Manny did that.

“If you’re committed to us you can take other visits, but we’ll look for somebody else,” Diaz said. “That’s why in our mind we did not lose a commitment today because he (Romello Height) had taken another visit.”

This is one of the most illogical things I've heard... What did you replace him with??? Air? A locked character?

Advertisement

giphy.gif

Advertisement
“The 18 men that signed scholarships today, from the time they committed they never wavered. When we went into their homes in the course of November, it was `Not only are we with Miami, with the Canes, we’re coming to solve the problem, be the fix.’ A class with the mentality like that from top to bottom is very rare. We have a rare group of players.”

“Fairly or unfairly, signing day is decided by the ones at the end, which devalues (the commits),” Diaz said.

“A lot can happen in January,” Diaz said. “I would say we have it planned out, I’ll put it like that.”

“The first few days in 7-on-7 we were repping all our quarterbacks,” Diaz said. “All the guys are out there competing.”

mandy is straight ****** with the **** he tries to spin

Advertisement
"How does he know no one took any other visits" Romello. Manny they won't tell you they will just hide it from you.

This man comes off as such an overcompensating beta cuck. Like, you can see his wife just taking it from a gaggle of Brazzers extras in the background of that interview segment...

Incredible frustrating. Coker was an aw shucks geezer. Randy was a deer in the headlights that meant well. Al Golden's leads were weak and wasn't close to hitting his sales quota for the month type of guy out there, just overwhelmed and sweaty. Mark Richt was here for vacation and just said "sorry" and told us to keep the tip for wasting our time.

Fantastic assessment of the situation and of all the football coaches we have had to endure.

Advertisement
After all the theatrics of early signing day had settled down, Miami head coach Manny Diaz took to the podium to express his satisfaction with the 18 new players that became Hurricanes today.

“The way I want to start is to not talk about their talents and achievements, but the mentality that makes them special - we made some changes to the way we recruit,” Diaz said. “We made changes staffing-wise (in the recruiting department)… The bigger change, we made a difference in what it means to be a Miami Hurricane, what it means to be committed.

Will Miami take commitments from players in the 2021 class that still plan to take visits?

Whether you prefer 247Sports (18th), Rivals (15th), or ESPN (19th), each recruiting service pegged the early signing day haul of Miami's class as worthy of a top 20 national ranking. However, the Canes efforts were dampened a bit when they failed to add any new commits on early signing day, and they also lost one commit as well.

Even though the Canes ended the year at a disappointing 6-6 with two terrible losses to FIU and Duke to close out the regular season, Diaz was encouraged by how the core of the class never wavered.

“We finished the season as poorly as you can finish it and these 18 guys - these guys are fired up… that to me has been the most encouraging thing of this month,” Diaz said.

Of course, the Canes are still not done, and have another 2 months to add to the class ahead of the final signing day in February.

“In February, when the class is done in its entirety, we’ll have a chance to quality control,” Diaz said. “To have our class ranked where it’s ranked means we can recruit. We’ve got something special… From top to bottom this is a class we love these guys on the field, off the field.”

Diaz also reiterated his recruiting strategy to focus locally on South Florida before moving further out into Florida and then nationally.

“Dade County on up,” he said of his philosophy.

As for positions in the class he expects to add to, Diaz mentioned that bringing in a JUCO or transfer offensive lineman is certainly a possibility.

Diaz was also asked about specific signees, including UM’s two star local running backs they landed in Jaylan Knighton and Don Chaney.

On Knighton: “I went to a Jamboree in Palm Beach County in Jaylan’s 10th grade year - you’re watching a ton of players, and in my mind he was the best player on the field that day. When you’re talking about trying to increase your explosiveness on offense - that can be a changer for a program. Jaylan provides that.”

On Chaney: “Donald has the speed to go all the way, is a sturdy guy. The way they complement each other, get them the ball.”

UM is in the middle of practice for the Independence Bowl against Louisiana Tech and Diaz said every position is having an open competition, including QB.

WR Jeff Thomas, DE Trevon Hill, and DE Jon Garvin all recently announced they would be sitting out of the bowl game to prepare for the NFL Draft, but Diaz does not expect any other players to sit out and is planning on having some of the younger players to take on bigger roles to replace those veterans.

“Jahfari (Harvey) will play, Jason Blissett could see some snaps,” Diaz said. “Sam Brooks should get in there, get some good action. Those are some guys that stand out.”

Diaz added that he expects DE Scott Patchan to be granted a medical waiver to return for a 6th year of eligibility, and also said he plans on having 13 early enrollees from the 2020 class at this point.
If manny don’t get it done year two the next coach will inherit this class. I commend those kids for sticking with the U. That shows character imo

There were some holes in the class (particularly at OL -- which should have been the #1 priority for the entire staff, not just Butch Barry). However, there are some dynamic players in that group that will be major contributors. Given the record this season, it is a good outcome.

Granted it's a little disappointing that a couple got away at the end but the core group that did sign has some really good players in it.

The attitude & apparent commitment of the signees is also commendable.

Next year will be a critical year for Manny. He'll need to produce better results on the field & in recruiting (good enough is not good enough).

Recruiting & Portal priorities for the ENTIRE STAFF:
  • OL
  • OL
  • OL
  • OL
  • OL
  • OL
  • K (Alex could be a good addition but I would add another scholarship K until the problem is completely solved). We cannot have a repeat of this year's special teams disaster.
  • CB
  • OL

We have some really good talent at the skill positions (Brevin, Mallory, Lingard, Chaney, Knighton et al).

We'll have a very good DL next year and a solid secondary.

MIAMI & MANNY'S FUTURE HINGES ON THE OFFENSIVE LINE. WE NEED TO RE-THINK OUR OL RECRUITING STRATEGY COMPLETELY AND FIX THIS. THIS IS THE #1 ITEM HOLDING THE OFFENSE BACK. THE VAST MAJORITY OF CHAMPIONSHIP TEAMS ARE STOUT ON THE OL. THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED BIG TIME.

One of the best posts to close 2019

This is one of the most illogical things I've heard... What did you replace him with??? Air? A locked character?

Glad u said it b/c I kept scrolling back through 247, Rivals, and ESPN to see what other player did we replace him w.

Manny can’t be 💯 for one moment. Y not just say “It was a loss for us and these things happen, but that won’t dampen the haul of young men that are True Canes.”

See; this chit shows me Manny hasn’t learned chit. He & Enos both deserve their fate.

Advertisement
Back