Diaz’s Last Stand

Ya know, you would have a point about them but the actual problem is that they’re football illiterate. “We don’t have a lot of money!” Guess what? There’s a championship winning coach named Lance Leipold that’s currently coaching the university of Buffalo and doing things there that nobody has seen at UB. Coach Clark isn’t making a killing at UAB. Kennesaw State has a stud named Brian Bohannon that completely built that program into an FCS powerhouse. Willie Fritz has Tulane winning again and is another proven winner with success everywhere he’s gone. Jamey Caldwell of costal Carolina is another with a ton of success everywhere he’s gone and the same with Kansas State’s coach. They would never hire ANY of these names though because none of them know a thing about sports let alone football. ****, if somebody didn’t vouch for Jim Larranaga he wouldn’t have been here either and the day he retires all they’re gonna do is hand the BBall team to Caputo.
Here we go! Right on cue with the coaches from the MAC. Can't make this **** up.

Advertisement
Manny has some good qualities, but he needed grooming at a lower level school first.

Miami fans, who aren't patient at this point after 15 years of average football, don't have patience for someone learning on the job.

Manny showed last year he can identify weaknesses, and attack them. It's not his fault he was hired, it was Blake James.

If you are angry focus on Blake James.
We need to rally next hire to make sure the administration understands that we want to win and win now

What's wrong with that we've already rolled the dice on a nobody who hasn't whiffed head coaching experience 😅😅😅
And the dude has as many national championships as Saban. Seriously, Leipold is the same coach from Mount Union back in the day. The Bot are just like these fans, football illiterate.

Advertisement
Do you know a thing about any of these coaches?

One of them has as many national championships as Nick Saban.
I don't want an unproven coach at this level. We are not Temple. UNC pulled Mack Brown, and they have surpassed us in two years. They have a higher ranked recruiting class and they are a basketball school. You're telling me guys from Buffalo and Kennesaw St. is the best we can do. If that is the case then call it a day on us being nationally relevant ever again.

I don't want an unproven coach at this level. We are not Temple. UNC pulled Mack Brown, and they have surpassed us in two years. They have a higher ranked recruiting class and they are a basketball school. You're telling me guys from Buffalo and Kennesaw St. is the best we can do. If that is the case then call it a day on us being nationally relevant ever again.
You serve on the BOT? You literally are going to turn down Lance Leipold,who has just as many national championships as Saban, because he coaches at Buffalo? They’ve had two 6 win seasons before he got there and now they’re the best team in the MAC plus are putting dudes in the league. Kennesaw State was a bottom feeder FCS program and now it’s one of the best in the country and you have a problem with Brian Bohannon? You know the way you game plan and recruit doesn’t change right? They’re doing the same **** everybody in FBS is doing.

Advertisement
I will get blasted for this but you have to give Manny one more year. Hiring a new coach and trying to install a new system while still under covid protocols is just setting the next coach up for failure. You'd have a completely new staff who can't hit the recruiting trail till likely summer at the earliest. Than you'd throw that staff right into the Alabama wolves den week one. That's a great way to start a new coach off in a giant hole.
Blake Baker isn't new, his Covid excuse is not valid and that defense is the latest casualty of the Diaz era.

Manny Diaz should have been the Bud Foster of Miami and stayed on as the D coord. He was okay as a D coord, good even to win if you have a competent head coach and a good offense coordinator.

Advertisement
You are delusional if you think Manny will hire a DC and give complete control. I’ve said this before but that would mean him admitting that his whole defensive coaching career has been a failure. It was easy to blame everything on the offense and fire everyone there who he has no ties to. Wow, Manny is such a savage! Now when it’s his yes men buddies that’s carrying out his scheme? Not as easy now.

Either way, a DC is not fixing this team. Teams take on the personality of the HC. What happens if you have a gigantic ***** as HC? Like the FIU DBs told Butch, they’re soft as **** coach. Manny is no disciplinarian and there is no accountability as evident of the bum upperclassmen still being trotted out. There is a glaring lack of development. What’s the point of getting 5 stars if you can’t develop them? Look no further than the LB room which is supposedly Manny’s bread and butter.

Advertisement
Ya, I know....another Diaz thread. I’ve caught some flack on this board of late. I think people misunderstand my position so I wanted to take a second to lay out my thoughts.

If there is one thing we know about Manny, it’s that he’s not going to go down without a fight. He’s going to try his hardest to change the trajectory of this program — I truly believe that.

Unfortunately for him, thats not enough. We don’t reward effort around these parts; results matter more than anything else, which is the way it should be when you’re the head coach of the Miami Hurricanes. We demand excellence.

I think rational fans understand this isn’t the 80s anymore, but that doesn’t excuse what we witnessed on Saturday. I’ll never be able to unsee that deer-in-the-headlights look I saw from him as UNC continually ran the same play over and over and over again. He literally had no idea what to do. We never adjusted and you guys know the rest.

I, personally, don’t see him reviving this program for myriad reasons. He just doesn’t have it in him. I know he doesn’t want to fail, but at the end of the day he was set up for failure by an administration that couldn’t give a rats *** about the football program. And he’s woefully unequipped to figure it out on his own.

We hired the greenest coach available after conducting a three-second search. Blake James should absolutely be ashamed of himself. Manny is not the root of the virus; he’s symptom. The problem is, Manny is here to stay for at least one more year. The BOT and administration don’t have the balls to admit they were wrong — AGAIN — so they are going to pray he figures it out. But I think most of us know how this ends.

I really hope he proves me wrong. I want the program to succeed, which is why I was frustrated when I saw people on the game day board cheering the fact that we got annihilated. After pondering that for the past few days, I get where they are coming from. We’ve endured almost two decades of putrid football; I know why some people would just want to get this experiment over with. I may not agree with their way of discharging their emotions, but I certainly understand their mental state.

Now, as I mentioned earlier, he clearly isn’t going anywhere for the time being. I would love nothing more for him to shut my *** up and make the changes necessary for this program to thrive. It starts with him becoming a legit CEO. Hire a DC who maintains complete autonomy and allow them to bring in their own people. Even then, he has a lot to prove. But like I said before, I don’t see him waving the white flag so easily. Like it or not, this is his dream job. We’ll find out soon enough how much fight this man has left in the tank.

Go Canes!
It basically comes down to whether he's in love with his defensive system and how big his ego is.

He's already proven to be a ruthless ******* - firing all the offensive coaches that he worked with for two years (think of all the time they spent travelling / eating / reviewing film together) in approx. 12 hours. Then repeated the act with Enos and his cadre.

He absolutely needs to do it again, but this time on the defensive side of the ball. If he doesn't fire Baker and the rest of the defensive staff and hand over the reigns to a qualified DC (who brings in his own staff) then he's going down the well-trod road Al Golden did and he'll be fired.

He's got to learn that it's a lonely job at the top. But winning makes it all worthwhile.

I will get blasted for this but you have to give Manny one more year. Hiring a new coach and trying to install a new system while still under covid protocols is just setting the next coach up for failure. You'd have a completely new staff who can't hit the recruiting trail till likely summer at the earliest. Than you'd throw that staff right into the Alabama wolves den week one. That's a great way to start a new coach off in a giant hole.
Valid point. We just saw the reigning national champs crash and burn this year.

You are delusional if you think Manny will hire a DC and give complete control. I’ve said this before but that would mean him admitting that his whole defensive coaching career has been a failure. It was easy to blame everything on the offense and fire everyone there who he has no ties to. Wow, Manny is such a savage! Now when it’s his yes men buddies that’s carrying out his scheme? Not as easy now.

Either way, a DC is not fixing this team. Teams take on the personality of the HC. What happens if you have a gigantic ***** as HC? Like the FIU DBs told Butch, they’re soft as **** coach. Manny is no disciplinarian and there is no accountability as evident of the bum upperclassmen still being trotted out. There is a glaring lack of development. What’s the point of getting 5 stars if you can’t develop them? Look no further than the LB room which is supposedly Manny’s bread and butter.
I never said he would do what was necessary, but I doubt he does nothing at all. Either way, like you said, he’s on borrowed time. The point is, we’re going to have him for at least one more year, so let’s see what pride the man has left.

The answer for Manny this offseason is simple -

Fire Baker, Patke, Rumph, and spend real money on a new DC

Let that DC run their own defense and decide if they want to keep Banda and Stroud. IMO they should stay for recruiting purposes but would be fine if a new guy doesn’t want them

If Manny doesn’t do this, he’ll probably be gone next year.

Advertisement
Back