Diaz’s Last Stand

Genghis Cane

Chicken Wing Connoisseur
Ya, I know....another Diaz thread. I’ve caught some flack on this board of late. I think people misunderstand my position so I wanted to take a second to lay out my thoughts.

If there is one thing we know about Manny, it’s that he’s not going to go down without a fight. He’s going to try his hardest to change the trajectory of this program — I truly believe that.

Unfortunately for him, thats not enough. We don’t reward effort around these parts; results matter more than anything else, which is the way it should be when you’re the head coach of the Miami Hurricanes. We demand excellence.

I think rational fans understand this isn’t the 80s anymore, but that doesn’t excuse what we witnessed on Saturday. I’ll never be able to unsee that deer-in-the-headlights look I saw from him as UNC continually ran the same play over and over and over again. He literally had no idea what to do. We never adjusted and you guys know the rest.

I, personally, don’t see him reviving this program for myriad reasons. He just doesn’t have it in him. I know he doesn’t want to fail, but at the end of the day he was set up to do just that by an administration that couldn’t give a rats *** about the football program. And he’s woefully unequipped to figure it out on his own.

We hired the greenest coach available after conducting a three-second search. Blake James should absolutely be ashamed of himself. Manny is not the root of the virus; he’s symptom. The problem is, Manny is here to stay for at least one more year. The BOT and administration don’t have the balls to admit they were wrong — AGAIN — so they are going to pray he figures it out. But I think most of us know how this ends.

I really hope he proves me wrong. I want the program to succeed, which is why I was frustrated when I saw people on the game day board cheering the fact that we got annihilated. After pondering that for the past few days, I get where they are coming from. We’ve endured almost two decades of putrid football; I know why some people would just want to get this experiment over with. I may not agree with their way of discharging their emotions, but I certainly understand their mental state.

Now, as I mentioned earlier, he clearly isn’t going anywhere for the time being. I would love nothing more for him to shut my *** up and make the changes necessary for this program to thrive. It starts with him becoming a legit CEO. Hire a DC who maintains complete autonomy and allow them to bring in their own people. Even then, he has a lot to prove. But like I said before, I don’t see him waving the white flag so easily. Like it or not, this is his dream job. We’ll find out soon enough how much fight this man has left in the tank.

Go Canes!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Ya, I know....another Diaz thread. I’ve caught some flack on this board of late. I think people misunderstand my position so I wanted to take a second to lay out my thoughts.

If there is one thing we know about Manny, it’s that he’s not going to go down without a fight. He’s going to try his hardest to change the trajectory of this program — I truly believe that.

Unfortunately for him, thats not enough. We don’t reward effort around these parts; results matter more than anything else, which is the way it should be when you’re the head coach of the Miami Hurricanes. We demand excellence.

I think rational fans understand this isn’t the 80s anymore, but that doesn’t excuse what we witnessed on Saturday. I’ll never be able to unsee that deer-in-the-headlights look I saw from him as UNC continually ran the same play over and over and over again. He literally had no idea what to do. We never adjusted and you guys know the rest.

I, personally, don’t see him reviving this program for myriad reasons. He just doesn’t have it in him. I know he doesn’t want to fail, but at the end of the day he was set up for failure by an administration that couldn’t give a rats *** about the football program. And he’s woefully unequipped to figure it out on his own.

We hired the greenest coach available after conducting a three-second search. Blake James should absolutely be ashamed of himself. Manny is not the root of the virus; he’s symptom. The problem is, Manny is here to stay for at least one more year. The BOT and administration don’t have the balls to admit they were wrong — AGAIN — so they are going to pray he figures it out. But I think most of us know how this ends.

I really hope he proves me wrong. I want the program to succeed, which is why I was frustrated when I saw people on the game day board cheering the fact that we got annihilated. After pondering that for the past few days, I get where they are coming from. We’ve endured almost two decades of putrid football; I know why some people would just want to get the experiment over with. I may not agree with their way of discharging their emotions, but I certainly understand their mental state.

Now, as I mentioned earlier, he clearly isn’t going anywhere for the time being. I would love nothing more for him to shut my *** up and make the changes necessary for this program to thrive. It starts with him becoming a legit CEO. Hire a DC who maintains complete autonomy and allow them to bring in their own people. Even then, he has a lot to prove. But like I said before, I don’t see him waving the white flag so easily. Like it or not, this is his dream job. We’ll find out soon enough how much fight this man has left in the tank.

Go Canes!
There are a whole lot of people who agree with you, myself included.

I, personally, don’t see him reviving this program for myriad reasons. He just doesn’t have it in him. I know he doesn’t want to fail, but at the end of the day he was set up for failure by an administration that couldn’t give a rats *** about the football program. And he’s woefully unequipped to figure it out on his own.

I really hope he proves me wrong. I want the program to succeed, which is why I was frustrated when I saw people on the game day board cheering the fact that we got annihilated. After pondering that for the past few days, I get where they are coming from. We’ve endured almost two decades of putrid football; I know why some people would just want to get the experiment over with. I may not agree with their way of discharging their emotions, but I certainly understand their mental state.

Now, as I mentioned earlier, he clearly isn’t going anywhere for the time being. I would love nothing more for him to shut my *** up and make the changes necessary for this program to thrive. It starts with him becoming a legit CEO. Hire a DC who maintains complete autonomy and allow them to bring in their own people. Even then, he has a lot to prove. But like I said before, I don’t see him waving the white flag so easily. Like it or not, this is his dream job. We’ll find out soon enough how much fight this man has.

Go Canes!
Last year, I said to my dad that Miami fans have a PhD in spotting loser coaches after the last two decades, and that Manny was the next one that we would have to fire at some point in the coming years. He held out hope through this weekend and this was his final straw that it is a when, not an if, if manny would be fired. However, like you said it is pointless if the same ****stain is making the next hire. Blake James needs to go sell tickets for a minor league hockey team in Maine and not be left to make any important decisions for any company ever again.

Advertisement
Last year, I said to my dad that Miami fans have a PhD in spotting loser coaches after the last two decades, and that Manny was the next one that we would have to fire at some point in the coming years. He held out hope through this weekend and this was his final straw that it is a when, not an if, if manny would be fired. However, like you said it is pointless if the same ****stain is making the next hire. Blake James needs to go sell tickets for a minor league hockey team in Maine and not be left to make any important decisions for any company ever again.
I remember freaking out when I found out we hired him. I couldn’t believe that we pulled the trigger so quickly on a coach who had zero head coaching experience....AND we didn’t even interview anybody else. But like the majority of this board, I rooted for him to succeed. The proof, however, is in the pudding. We got at least one more year so let’s see what happens.

I will get blasted for this but you have to give Manny one more year. Hiring a new coach and trying to install a new system while still under covid protocols is just setting the next coach up for failure. You'd have a completely new staff who can't hit the recruiting trail till likely summer at the earliest. Than you'd throw that staff right into the Alabama wolves den week one. That's a great way to start a new coach off in a giant hole.

1607987643335.png

I remember freaking out when I found out we hired him. I couldn’t believe that we pulled the trigger so quickly on a coach who had zero head coaching experience. But like everyone else, I rooted for him to succeed. The proof, however, is in the pudding. We got at least one more year so let’s see what happens.
The crazy part to me is that as an athletic director, hiring the football or basketball coach has to be about the most fun part of the job. Stressful given the ramifications, but fun. And this ****bird ended his search in three hours before interviewing anyone else or seeing what names may materialize.

Advertisement
Manny has some good qualities, but he needed grooming at a lower level school first.

Miami fans, who aren't patient at this point after 15 years of average football, don't have patience for someone learning on the job.

Manny showed last year he can identify weaknesses, and attack them. It's not his fault he was hired, it was Blake James.

If you are angry focus on Blake James.

The crazy part to me is that as an athletic director, hiring the football or basketball coach has to be about the most fun part of the job. Stressful given the ramifications, but fun. And this ****bird ended his search in three hours before interviewing anyone else or seeing what names may materialize.
One of the laziest actions I’ve ever seen. It’s embarrassing that he thought that would be acceptable.

Manny has some good qualities, but he needed grooming at a lower level school first.

Miami fans, who aren't patient at this point after 15 years of average football, don't have patience for someone learning on the job.

Manny showed last year he can identify weaknesses, and attack them. It's not his fault he was hired, it was Blake James.

If you are angry focus on Blake James.
Ya, we should have let him go to Temple and conducted a real coaching search. Blake James continues to escape scrutiny because everyone zeroes in on Manny.

Advertisement
All good points. Manny will have at least one more year to make another big change that need to be made on the defensive side of the ball.
I think he will pull the trigger, he has to and bring in a man at DC to challenge everything he has been doing at UM. It is the only way to grow.
Our defensive scheme is not built to stop better teams. Simple as that.

If you consider Manny is a symptom. What do yo think of Baker? A symptom of a symptom?
Joking aside, I agree with most of what you said. But this takes me back to my point which is what we see on defense is Diaz in vivid colors. Changing defensive staff is not going to change anything if he is not willing to change his defensive scheme and let a competent DC takes over. He needs to be a leader, a strong CEO. I'm not sure he has it in him.

All good points. Manny will have at least one more year to make another big change that need to be made on the defensive side of the ball.
I think he will pull the trigger, he has to and bring in a man at DC to challenge everything he has been doing at UM. It is the only way to grow.
Our defensive scheme is not built to stop better teams. Simple as that.
Defensive scheme does not STOP any team with a pulse on offense. They do have to be decent

Advertisement
I remember freaking out when I found out we hired him. I couldn’t believe that we pulled the trigger so quickly on a coach who had zero head coaching experience....AND we didn’t even interview anybody else. But like the majority of this board, I rooted for him to succeed. The proof, however, is in the pudding. We got at least one more year so let’s see what happens.
I don't understand what we are waiting for. To get rolled by Bama and let them put up 80? We know how the rest of the season goes after a primetime loss first game. Then after the season we will be talking about hiring the next Dabo coaching in the ******* MAC.

Why don't Manny take a page out of mark richt book and just walk away. And go develop somewhere else.. his pride won't let him but I got a gut feeling this time around feels like a mark richt vibes 🤔🤔.. but our administration once again failed the fan base with 3 seconds searches 🤬🤬

Ya know, you have a point about them but the actual problem is that they’re football illiterate. “We don’t have a lot of money!” Guess what? There’s a championship winning coach named Lance Leipold that’s currently coaching the university of Buffalo and doing things there that nobody has seen at UB. Coach Clark isn’t making a killing at UAB. Kennesaw State has a stud named Brian Bohannon that completely built that program into an FCS powerhouse. Willie Fritz has Tulane winning again and is another proven winner with success everywhere he’s gone. Jamey Caldwell of costal Carolina is another with a ton of success everywhere he’s gone and the same with Kansas State’s coach. They would never hire ANY of these names though because none of them know a thing about sports let alone football. ****, if somebody didn’t vouch for Jim Larranaga he wouldn’t have been here either and the day he retires all they’re gonna do is hand the BBall team to Caputo.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back