Devin Hester Interview

Advertisement

What an ******* man :pgdead:

And this is who they made the HC. Hilarious

I believe him. I was hoping Shannon succeeded here but I didn’t know he did things like this. Man just coach, no need for power trips. Hester was a return man. He return kicks, picks, fumbles and receptions for TDs. RS was wrong. Speaking of that, I wondered what happened to Greg Threat, he was a pre-season AA and had like 120+ tackles as a Junior then rode benched the entirety of his final year.

Did Hester ever play DB in the league?

Sam Shields made the transition and was no where near the pure athlete Devin was.

Yea his first season. Sam started practicing corner during his junior year, then fully committed during spring going into his senior year then spent his entire senior at corner (won wake forest in 09 for us). Shields also reportedly ran a 4.3 and was killing it at gunner. Shields started on the practice squad then moved up, Hester was a 2nd round pick facing the likes of Torry Holt as a rookie.

Also two different orgs. Packers were a bit more patient with Shields during a period where the league was transitioning to a pass heavy league.

Advertisement
I told yall previously before...its why Randy Shannon aint play Willie Williams or my homie early on either at LB . He HATED guys with hype...wanted underrated kids like himself to play or played favorites with those types
He really did want guys like himself, which is why we had to see so much **** Glenn Cook. Dude was so petty and stubborn

It still bothers me to this day about WW....Really was a good kid...respectful, and intelligent....Sure he did some stupid F-ing things...but we had players who did far worse...WW needed a better coaching staff. I have no doubt in my mind that Sarge, Chuck and Butch would have been able to handle him with relative ease....People have no idea how Great they were with the players throughout those yrs...you can add Curtis Johnson to that list as well. 40+ yrs of watching Fl HS FB....and WW stands alone at the Top (defensively) He'd be a 5* with ease today...Completely dominated games at Carol City.

Nah Man....Onion hindered WW....Someone like Butch would've had WW all ACC....If Butch and company could somewhat control Webster...WW would have been a cakewalk...cause Nate was a crazy ****....

I doubt it. That was WW’s issue. He was never really held accountable for his actions. He also went to like 4 other schools but still had issues. Randy had his faults but WW needed help off the grid iron.

Advertisement
I doubt it. That was WW’s issue. He was never really held accountable for his actions. He also went to like 4 other schools but still had issues. Randy had his faults but WW needed help off the grid iron.
I completely disagree....Randy was partially at fault...I've had too many UM players agree with me...As I said...WW did some stupid F-ing things...but we've had others that did as bad...if not worse...

By miles! Randy gutted the program. The players weren't even eating correctly.

Golden sucked but hes better than randy and manny imo.

Come on Al was horrible. And he was the only one with HC experience. Man Al had players slow and bloated. Whatever plan he had them on had them fellas bordering obesity. He was awful. And he didn’t know how to recruit. My issue is we can ask Chickillo about his experience and apparently he’ll say disparaging things about Golden too. We just had a series of bad coaches. Either they were inexperience, old, or just sucked.

Golden wasn't really making progress in recruiting. 33% of his classes were gone--kicked out of school or transferred out within 2 years.

Thank you. He was awful. His kids got kicked out, weren’t good, or was ineligible. What good is his camps if he didn’t sign quality players. He had Louisville, Marshall, and WKU getting kids that could play for us. While letting the big fish go to our rivals. Dude lost out on Cooper, Alex Collins, Chad Wilson’s son, James Burgess Jr., Skai Moore (screwed that up), and wanted Lamar Jackson to be a safety. I don’t see how people still defend that man. And didn’t Rosenhause implied he was bashing the players to scouts and that’s why his UM clients like Miller and Streeter FS rock plummeted?

Not to be some golden apologist because **** him, but the cloud was real bro, you cant look back at a class and not take the context of that nevin ****, that was a hiroshima type bomb. I remember prior to it being uncovered it was us, all on boards were talking like oh that wouldnt happen at UM when they were teasing it months in advance, everyone was utterly shocked.. Golden still fumbled that Cooper commit tho!

IMO the cloud was overblown. Golden was implying death penalty which we were never going to get. After our punishment in the mid 90’s no one gets the death penalty because it punishes the opponents to. Plus too much money in tv deals. We also have to remember USC & OSU did worst and was given a post season banned. Chinese food and strip clubs are not more damning than Reggie getting paid while living in luxury condos. It really wasn’t that bad. He ran with that loud fir about 4 years. Meanwhile we knew about the cloud going into Randy’s final season.

Advertisement
He sure as **** did.

He had **** Romeo Davis out there over multiple guys. No disrespect to Davis, he did what he could, but he couldn't find a play to save his ***.

VT game at their house, WW comes out busting some heads and making plays like he's going to go down in our books as one of the best ever. He saw such limited action, but did a **** ton with it.

Randy gets asked about him and says some bull**** about needing to learn the plays better before he gets more action. I get that, but not when you have Davis who can't find the ball at all.

WW's never saw significant minutes and his handling reminds me of this Hester stuff. Shameful.

They did say WW struggled with learning plays, however RS should have found a way to get him on the field. Javon Nanton was a walk on that got about 6 sacks one year. Coaches have to think out the box and get creative. He didn’t. We should not have been running no pro-style or a 4-3 defense in the late 00’s either.

He sure as **** did.

He had **** Romeo Davis out there over multiple guys. No disrespect to Davis, he did what he could, but he couldn't find a play to save his ***.

VT game at their house, WW comes out busting some heads and making plays like he's going to go down in our books as one of the best ever. He saw such limited action, but did a **** ton with it.

Randy gets asked about him and says some bull**** about needing to learn the plays better before he gets more action. I get that, but not when you have Davis who can't find the ball at all.

WW's never saw significant minutes and his handling reminds me of this Hester stuff. Shameful.
WW freelanced at Carol City....But as I've said numerous times, Legendary Orlando HS FB Coach Bill Geirke told me WW was the damnest player he ever coached against...said he tried his hardest to plan for him to no avail. Went into halftime of the State Championship game to try to make adjustments...and nothing worked.

Come on Al was horrible. And he was the only one with HC experience. Man Al had players slow and bloated. Whatever plan he had them on had them fellas bordering obesity. He was awful. And he didn’t know how to recruit. My issue is we can ask Chickillo about his experience and apparently he’ll say disparaging things about Golden too. We just had a series of bad coaches. Either they were inexperience, old, or just sucked.
You arent wrong. We aren't taking up for Golden. We were saying who sucked less.

Advertisement
Not even. Randy played on national championship teams and won the Broyles. He also had some very good defenses. His personality alone made him unfit to lead the program. The guy had no coaching contacts. He left Miami for about a year and a half with Dallas before he was cut. Most idiotic hire since well Diaz.
Remember local high-school coaches said he was only recruiting certain schools. It was a disaster after randy.

All of this **** show started with the hiring of Randy. Paul Dee did so many things right at Miami but this was his biggest mistake.

With that said, I hope there is more to this story.

WW was going to self destruct no matter where he went and no matter who was coaching him.

I'm not sure I buy that. He had a kid (Asia I believe but when I hung out with the mother and him was a long time ago) and started turning it around. Then he comes here, does everything he needs to (if not perfectly, but still), what's asked of him, and barely sees the field. When he's on it, he makes plays, the guy he's in for doesn't, and yes, he freelancer too much.

Still, for those trying to turn their life around, you've gotta keep them engaged. Keep them motivated. Reward their hard work or at least be positive or they slip back into their old ways. You've gotta spend more time on them, which isn't really fair to the other people around him, but people can and do change.

He changed for a bit, but probably got frustrated and wondered what doing the right thing was getting him. The rest is history.

Advertisement
Back