Development

Oh, I definitely agree with you about the quality of player we were putting out in the 70s.

We were even putting out very high NFL Draft picks (Eddie Edwards, Harrah, Foreman, Burgess Owens, OJ Anderson). We've had two guys drafted that high in the past 15 years (Antrel and Ereck Flowers...and they aren't near the quality of the above 70s players in the NFL)...thats crazy to me. Miami was a sub-.500 team in the 70s.
Yep. That list of people were difference makers in the NFL. Foreman and Edwards and Anderson were close to Canton level. Harrah was like a 6x all pro.

I've said it a lot. It's mind blowing that the U in the 1970s, because it was a thing, produced way better NFL players than the U in the 2010s did.

That's a great sign of how bad our evaluations have been (my typical point), and how much opportunity there is in the program if we hire the right people and run it the right way.

Advertisement
Sorry if I conflated Ethnicsands and CaneSince4Ever, but there are just SO MANY porsters who have no idea what Butch did and like to diminish the man.
Man I've been one of the biggest butch voices here, because I'm all about evaluations and his evals were the goat. Had no idea someone gave the credit to others for Butch's recruiting. Definitely not my view. All coaches have assistants. Butch proved he had the green thumb.

Man I've been one of the biggest butch voices here, because I'm all about evaluations and his evals were the goat. Had no idea someone gave the credit to others for Butch's recruiting. Definitely not my view. All coaches have assistants. Butch proved he had the green thumb.

My humble apologies on this one, I was responding and didn't check the names. My bad.

Yeah, definitely CaneSince4Ever coming up with that nonsense, not you.

It's silly to think that coaches have no impact on developing players and that it's all on the young man. And certain schools and/or position coaches may not have secret formulas, but they do have the ability to TEACH better.

Guys who are developed really well play above their physical ability. The detail to technique and the intricacies of the game allow them to compete with players who are physically superior to them.
However, at the end of the day you can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****. Genetics/ability do matter. Effort matters. Ability to retain the teaching matters. Ability to APPLY said teaching matters. Instincts matter.

Development is a mutual "agreement" between coach and player.

There's also a whole other aspect to "development" that involves HOW YOU USE A PLAYER. Putting him in a position to succeed. Having the vision to see his skill-set and place him in a position where he can excel. Over the last 14 years I've had countless players who I was told "could not play" by other coaches. I had a 5'7" lacrosse player snag 8 interceptions in 2014. I turned a 6'4" back-up high school QB into an All Conference (D3) college Cornerback in 2015. I turned a 5'9" 175lb 2nd string Safety from Ely into a 1st Team All State Linebacker last year. The ONLY Linebacker on the All State team under 6'0". Kid made Maxpreps top-100 "Under the Radar" players in the country. His previous 2 schools thought he was a "duck" and had him playing back-up DB.

So you can sit here and say that no coaches have a magic formula, but if those kids above never met me or my staff then they would've have had a high school career at all, nevermind a successful one. Two of them actually got to play college.
Now, I didn't "develop" ****, but I had the vision to see past their physical limitations that other coaches couldn't ignore. I saw a skill-set and attitude within them that could help them achieve, in some cases at a different position. This is basically what we see with teams like Oklahoma (and some other programs) who come down here and offer South Florida kids that Miami ignored because they didn't fit a mold. Then they go to these other schools and ball out. Did Oklahoma "develop" Nik Bonitto or did they see something in him that Miami coaches didn't see? (it's likely the latter)

THAT is the main problem with Miami's coaching the past few years. ***** all the position drills and technique secrets. THE VISION has been lacking more than anything. If we did a better job of EVALUATING and IDENTIFYING who could excel here then we would likely have more NFL type talent and we wouldn't be sitting here having a conversation about "development".

It's silly to think that coaches have no impact on developing players and that it's all on the young man. And certain schools and/or position coaches may not have secret formulas, but they do have the ability to TEACH better.

Guys who are developed really well play above their physical ability. The detail to technique and the intricacies of the game allow them to compete with players who are physically superior to them.
However, at the end of the day you can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****. Genetics/ability do matter. Effort matters. Ability to retain the teaching matters. Ability to APPLY said teaching matters. Instincts matter.

There's also a whole other aspect to "development" that involves HOW YOU USE A PLAYER. Putting him in a position to succeed. Having the vision to see his skill-set and place him in a position where he can excel. Over the last 14 years I've had countless players who I was told "could not play" by other coaches. I had a 5'7" lacrosse player snag 8 interceptions in 2014. I turned a 6'4" back-up high school QB into an All Conference (D3) college Cornerback in 2015. I turned a 5'9" 175lb 2nd string Safety from Ely into a 1st Team All State Linebacker last year. The ONLY Linebacker on the All State team under 6'0". Kid made Maxpreps top-100 "Under the Radar" players in the country. His previous 2 schools thought he was a "duck" and had him playing back-up DB.

So you can sit here and say that no coaches have a magic formula, but if those kids above never met me or my staff then they would've have had a high school career at all, nevermind a successful one. Two of them actually got to play college.
Now, I didn't "develop" ****, but I had the vision to see past their physical limitations that other coaches couldn't ignore. I saw a skill-set and attitude within them that could help them achieve, in some cases at a different position. This is basically what we see with teams like Oklahoma (and some other programs) who come down here and offer South Florida kids that Miami ignored because they didn't fit a mold. Then they go to these other schools and ball out. Did Oklahoma "develop" Nik Bonitto or did they see something in him that Miami coaches didn't see? (it's likely the latter)

THAT is the main problem with Miami's coaching the past few years. ***** all the position drills and technique secrets. THE VISION has been lacking more than anything. If we did a better job of EVALUATING and IDENTIFYING who could excel here then we would likely have more NFL type talent and we wouldn't be sitting here having a conversation about "development".
Great post, coach. Adds a lot to the discussion. Part of evaluating is definitely seeing the potential not just for athletic growth but different positions. Agree with your comments.

Advertisement

****, that’s a good post! Incredibly underrated! And, then you step on your abilities by saying “… I didn't "develop" ****”. It looks to me like you did.

My humble apologies on this one, I was responding and didn't check the names. My bad.

Yeah, definitely CaneSince4Ever coming up with that nonsense, not you.

Get your **** right tax boy. You run around preaching your greatness- but let’s be honest- there’s nothing great about tax “attorneys”. You’re just not good enough for anything else in the legal world.

Advertisement
Get your **** right tax boy. You run around preaching your greatness- but let’s be honest- there’s nothing great about tax “attorneys”. You’re just not good enough for anything else in the legal world.

And 3-2-1 as you wine and cry about personal attacks and somebody plays captain save a hoe for you.

Advertisement
Back