Desperation is Strong Here

the way that the 2013 season went considering how pathetic the defense has been for 3 straight years and the fact that nothing was done about it is all the evidence that any rational person would need to know that F.A.G. is garbage and wont last.

in what fairytale do you live in to think that this guy will all of a suddenly be a good coach one day?
I never said that. I said my bytching about it does no good. You bytching about it won't turn him into a good coach, and it won't help him get replaced any faster either.

Like I said, you're on one end of the extremes when it comes to all of this. More of the facts tend to side with the negative against Golden, but there are some good things the guy has done as Miami's coach that completely get ignored...and that you'll never acknowledge, just because you have pitchfork firmly in hand.

It's the same way with the super-positive folks, they don't like to see any of the negative, and whine about it when folks point those things out.

Where it gets annoying to folks like me is when all we see is super-positive vs super-negative in every single ******* thread. We get it. Horse is dead. Time to stop beating it. The ultra-bytching and the rah-rah **** does no good. All it brings, again...sh1tty threads.

Wrong on that part. It's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.

When banners orbit over our games, that's kinda hard to ignore.
If you really feel that way, then quit bytching on sh1tty threads on here and fly a banner. Otherwise, you're just like Grandpa Simpson yelling at clouds.

so the response of F.A.G. apologists is:

dont ***** about it on the internet.

brilliant

in reality, there isnt anything that F.A.G. has done to help this program. the team is slow, over weight and gets destroyed by any team with a pulse. the guy is a fraud

deal with it

Advertisement

brilliant

in reality, there isnt anything that F.A.G. has done to help this program. the team is slow, over weight and gets destroyed by any team with a pulse. the guy is a fraud

deal with it
Alright d1ck for brains...I'm not an apologist. I just don't go around calling Golden "F.A.G" like you do. He's done some good ****, he's done some really bad ****. I do hope he does better, but that's just because I want the program to be successful...not necessarily him personally. If he keeps sucking, I hope we kick him and his boy NoDFrio to the curb.

But...if you guys really want Golden gone, then porsting on this board or any other ad nauseum with whatever semi-half-witty monikers and put-downs you come up with for Golden or NoDFrio isn't going to cut it. You want to fly a banner--go for it. You want to stage a formal protest at the Hecht--go on and organize it. You want to start a fund to donate to the university to go towards a buyout for Golden--there's an idea, you should do it. If you're serious about wanting Golden gone, then the movement should be on like Donkey Kong, and yesterday.

You're right tho. Fvck all that real world stuff. It's much easier just to sit behind a keyboard and bytch about it instead of nutting up and doing something. It just makes this board so much more readable and enriching when you do that...so stay Golden, Pony Boy.

Deal with that.

brilliant

deal with it
Alright d1ck for brains...I'm not an apologist. I just don't go around calling Golden "F.A.G" like you do. He's done some good ****, he's done some really bad ****. I do hope he does better, but that's just because I want the program to be successful...not necessarily him personally. If he keeps sucking, I hope we kick him and his boy NoDFrio to the curb.

But...if you guys really want Golden gone, then porsting on this board or any other ad nauseum with whatever semi-half-witty monikers and put-downs you come up with for Golden or NoDFrio isn't going to cut it. You want to fly a banner--go for it. You want to stage a formal protest at the Hecht--go on and organize it. You want to start a fund to donate to the university to go towards a buyout for Golden--there's an idea, you should do it. If you're serious about wanting Golden gone, then the movement should be on like Donkey Kong, and yesterday.

You're right tho. Fvck all that real world stuff. It's much easier just to sit behind a keyboard and bytch about it instead of nutting up and doing something. It just makes this board so much more readable and enriching when you do that...so stay Golden, Pony Boy.

Deal with that.

this is the internet dipshyt. what you've described is exactly what its for.

as for Golden - what exactly has he done thats "good ****" - I cant think of anything. and I dont have anything personal against F.A.G. I just dont want him ruining my team any more. his defense is DOG **** and his coaching hires have been questionable and he cant recruit a ***cing DT to save his life

No, that's what you're using it for. There's lots of ways to use the internet to stimulate some action for the cause you want to take up (ousting Golden). You'd just rather use it as a podium to complain as opposed to using it to organize anything that would be of actual consequence. I don't know if it's fear it wouldn't work, or not knowing if you'd get enough support behind the cause...or whatever. But it is painfully clear all you want to do is sit and bytch and contribute nothing.

as for Golden - what exactly has he done thats "good ****" - I cant think of anything. and I dont have anything personal against F.A.G. I just dont want him ruining my team any more. his defense is DOG **** and his coaching hires have been questionable and he cant recruit a ***cing DT to save his life
I'll give Golden credit for being a stabilizing force for the program thru all the NCAA stuff. He gets panned for being a politician/car salesman, but I don't know of many other coaches that would have 1) stuck around or 2) handled all of that as well as he did.

I'll give him credit for reeling in some decent recruiting classes through all of that. He's a tireless worker when it comes to that, no doubt. One major fault is that he's still letting way too many studs from S. Florida go elsewhere, but he has pulled some talented guys (Duke Johnson, Stacy Coley, and Chad Thomas just to name a few).

I'll give him credit for being there for the kids. When Malcolm Lewis snapped his ankle against GT, that told me all I needed to know about Golden as a man, and how much he cares about these kids. I will never discount him as a man due to that--no matter his coaching flaws.

I'll give him credit for refocusing things while letting the kids have more fun. Under Shannon, we didn't seem to have any sort of offseason conditioning or strength training, and we were stuck with talent that couldn't really reach it's potential due to that. So, Golden made the workouts tougher. It's debatable as to whether or not it's where it needs to be, but it is better than it was under Shannon. Also--we seemed to look half-dead on the field under Shannon. No fire, no passion...just took on the stonewalled/emotionless look that Shannon struck at all times. Golden has more personality, and our think compared to Shannon--the team has took on more of a passion/fire.

Call that Rah-Rah if you want, but there's plenty to dog him out for too (and I've done so on here, and on other Canes boards). I agree with him not being able to pull a decent DT, the defense sucking ****, and my least favorite coaching hire (besides NoDFrio) has been Coley so far...he's shown me nothing yet, and his playcalling is god-awful. Golden either needs to kick his butt up between his shoulder blades and tell him to get better, or he needs to replace him. I think on gameday, Golden doesn't have a killer instinct that great HC's have. I think his game management (including clock management) is highly questionable at times. I'm not happy with the development of certain guys under him, like Chickillo. Last but not least--our D scheme is horrid. In theory, it's a good idea, but I don't think it works well with collegiate level players, and especially ones from S. Florida.

I'm not to the point of calling for a banner or doing any other things to oust Golden, myself. I think this year is going to tell the tale. The install for this D should be over, and the overall talent level has gotten better (IMO). The offense (save for having a new young QB) is LOADED with elite skill players and gamebreakers. THIS is the year to make that step into double-digit wins, and specifically, win the Coastal outright. If he can't get at least that accomplished, then have a torch/pitchfork ready for me...and I'll help you decide what the banner should say.

maybe he did a decent job during the NCAA mess. maybe. who knows what someone else would have done. we certainly havent seen it translate to Ws on saturday

as far as THIS being the year, I completely disagree. last year told the story, and it was brutal. this year anyone paying attention knows whats gonna happen. we will get torched by every team in the ACC, and we have a brand new QB that is a major ? so that all translates into a brutal year

6-6 or 7-5

Advertisement
No, that's what you're using it for. There's lots of ways to use the internet to stimulate some action for the cause you want to take up (ousting Golden). You'd just rather use it as a podium to complain as opposed to using it to organize anything that would be of actual consequence. I don't know if it's fear it wouldn't work, or not knowing if you'd get enough support behind the cause...or whatever. But it is painfully clear all you want to do is sit and bytch and contribute nothing.

I'll give Golden credit for being a stabilizing force for the program thru all the NCAA stuff. He gets panned for being a politician/car salesman, but I don't know of many other coaches that would have 1) stuck around or 2) handled all of that as well as he did.

I'll give him credit for reeling in some decent recruiting classes through all of that. He's a tireless worker when it comes to that, no doubt. One major fault is that he's still letting way too many studs from S. Florida go elsewhere, but he has pulled some talented guys (Duke Johnson, Stacy Coley, and Chad Thomas just to name a few).

I'll give him credit for being there for the kids. When Malcolm Lewis snapped his ankle against GT, that told me all I needed to know about Golden as a man, and how much he cares about these kids. I will never discount him as a man due to that--no matter his coaching flaws.

I'll give him credit for refocusing things while letting the kids have more fun. Under Shannon, we didn't seem to have any sort of offseason conditioning or strength training, and we were stuck with talent that couldn't really reach it's potential due to that. So, Golden made the workouts tougher. It's debatable as to whether or not it's where it needs to be, but it is better than it was under Shannon. Also--we seemed to look half-dead on the field under Shannon. No fire, no passion...just took on the stonewalled/emotionless look that Shannon struck at all times. Golden has more personality, and our think compared to Shannon--the team has took on more of a passion/fire.

Call that Rah-Rah if you want, but there's plenty to dog him out for too (and I've done so on here, and on other Canes boards). I agree with him not being able to pull a decent DT, the defense sucking ****, and my least favorite coaching hire (besides NoDFrio) has been Coley so far...he's shown me nothing yet, and his playcalling is god-awful. Golden either needs to kick his butt up between his shoulder blades and tell him to get better, or he needs to replace him. I think on gameday, Golden doesn't have a killer instinct that great HC's have. I think his game management (including clock management) is highly questionable at times. I'm not happy with the development of certain guys under him, like Chickillo. Last but not least--our D scheme is horrid. In theory, it's a good idea, but I don't think it works well with collegiate level players, and especially ones from S. Florida.

I'm not to the point of calling for a banner or doing any other things to oust Golden, myself. I think this year is going to tell the tale. The install for this D should be over, and the overall talent level has gotten better (IMO). The offense (save for having a new young QB) is LOADED with elite skill players and gamebreakers. THIS is the year to make that step into double-digit wins, and specifically, win the Coastal outright. If he can't get at least that accomplished, then have a torch/pitchfork ready for me...and I'll help you decide what the banner should say.

Exactly where I am. I have a ton of respect for Golden as a man, so I'm hoping for more from him as a coach. IMO we're in a much better place now than we would have been if he left when the story broke. For that reason, he deserves another year. But that defense has got to improve. The talent hasn't been where it needs to be, but it's better than 500+/game. I'm on his side, but he has to lead this team to 10+ wins this year to keep me there. We've finally built some depth, so injuries shouldn't have the same impact as they have the last few years and the offense is actually in a pretty good place to break in a young QB with what should be a solid OL, an All-American type RB and experienced and talented WRs. The defense is also the most talented it's been since Golden's been here.

Unless we completely fold this year (5 wins or less), I'd expect him to get at least 2 more years though. 8 or less, I'll join the haters and I'm sure Golden will be under pressure to make changes on the staff. 9 wins, if all losses are single digits, I'm likely still on his side. More blowouts or a loss to Virginia or similar, I'm out. 10+ in the regular season, I'm on the bus.

2011 - Ohio State 6-7
2012 - VT 7-6
2013 - UF 4-8

At the specific times, OSU and UF were big wins for the team and Golden.

It is really an irrelevant question, IMO, as those 3 wins do not conclude that he is a good or bad coach.

Still not seeing all these "Al Golden is a great football coach" posts that you guys are trying to disprove.

Nice signature wins. Real watershed moments in history.

2011 - Ohio State 6-7
2012 - VT 7-6
2013 - UF 4-8

It is really an irrelevant question, IMO, as those 3 wins do not conclude that he is a good or bad coach.

Still not seeing all these "Al Golden is a great football coach" posts that you guys are trying to disprove.

So UM beating OSU and UF were not big at the times those games were played?

Advertisement
2011 - Ohio State 6-7
2012 - VT 7-6
2013 - UF 4-8

So UM beating OSU and UF were not big at the times those games were played?

They were not signature wins. They were wins vs bad teams.

They were good wins against teams that ended up being bad. No idea if that makes them signature or not, but that's JMO.

2011 - Ohio State
2012 - VT
2013 - UF

The bolded is the biggest hang-up I have right now... I have yet to see anybody make the statement "Al Golden is a great football coach." I have seen "here are some mitigating circumstances for our failures as a team" (re: excuses for failure) but every coach/team has those every season, so what are we arguing here?

Usually in a discussion this heated, each side is arguing a passionate extreme (i.e. Al Golden blows vs. Al Golden is great.) But in this case all I've seen is "Al Golden Blows" vs. "Al-Golden-Has-Had-A-Modicum-Of-Success-And-A-Lot-of-Failure-Particularly-On-One-Side-Of-The-Football-And-I-Hope-He-Improves-With-A-More-Talented-Team-So-Let's-Get-Off-His-Nut-For-The-Next-Four-Months-And-Talk-Football."

Or "AGHHAMOSAALOFPOOSOTFAIHHIWAMTTSLGOHNFTNFMATF" for short.

I think the problem lies in the fact that AG is not the guy for the job at Miami. He tried. He sold himself well to all of us.

He hasn't adapted to the the strengths of the university. After 39 games there is enough of a body of work on the field to clearly see that this team is not headed in the right direction.

We all know the team is going to be better talent wise this year. PRO TIP: The team has been better talent wise every single year that AG has been here. But we have not improved on the field.

The talent on the roster has been getting better. The product on the field hasn't.

Then you add in the PSU debacle.

With so many teams around us hiring stud coaches we look flaccid as a coaching staff. The administration has no clue when it comes to big time football.

"A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth." Some of us are determined not to let that happen in this case.

The lie being, AG can still show he is the man for the job. He isn't.

Advertisement
Someone define signature win for us please.

A big win against a GOOD (read: ended the season with a plus .500 record) team where you look at the guys product on the field and say, "Yeah, this guy can coach. He gets the most out of his guys."

A big win against a GOOD (read: ended the season with a plus .500 record) team where you look at the guys product on the field and say, "Yeah, this guy can coach. He gets the most out of his guys."

AKA. Any definition that will exclude Al Golden from having one.

Rivalry game. Ranked in top 15. Last time scheduled to play them.

Your whole concept of a signature win is to find another way to bash Golden. I bet Randy and Coker had signature wins according to your definition and you view both of them as failures.

Last edited:
I guess the only thing that bothers me about your post is the implication that you see it and the rest don't. The issue right now is not coaching ability whether it be the coordinators or the HC. The lingering penalty of the Shapiro scandal is that Golden kept the wheels on the cart and the administration feels indebted to him. In other word why gripe about something that you can't do anything about. I have said all along that my feeling is that we have a head coach that has potential but is not a finished product. In that sense the two more years that I think he gets no matter what can serve us well. I was disappointed that not one single coaching change was made after we were embarrassed in the last part of the season I'm convinced that personal relationships was the reason and that has to change. I was also disappointed in his definition of progress reported on wqam. His assessment was full of spin and frankly was an insult to my intelligence. His handleing of the PSU dance could have been handled differently. Finally like you I have concerns about Coley. Jumbo found a way to keep on his staff a master recruiter while keeping him from losing football games. My hope is that he grows into the job and I think the possibility is there. If you are frustrated now you will be more frustrated after we have two early season losses which I think will happen waiting for our qb to grow up. My hope is that this team will grow as the season progresses. If that happens and we end with 9-3 and win our bowl game we will on the right track.

Advertisement
After 39 games there is enough of a body of work on the field to clearly see that this team is not headed in the right direction.

Butch went 5-6 in his 3rd year. I'm guessing you would've said the same about his record through 3 seasons. And your opinion that AG is not the right person for the job is just that....your opinion...which doesn't make it a fact. What is a fact is that, as the talent has improved, the number of wins has also improved. I interpret that fact very cautiously, however. Randy had 3 seasons of improvement, too. I don't necessarily subscribe to the 10 wins or bust or win the Coastal or bust crowd. Just be better. Believe it or not, that could happen without getting more wins or winning the Coastal.

Last edited:

AKA. Any definition that will exclude Al Golden from having one.

Rivalry game. Ranked in top 15. Last time scheduled to play them.

Your whole concept of a signature win is to find another way to bash Golden. I bet Randy and Coker had signature wins according to your definition and you view both of them as failures.

Exactly. And this is how I know Golden sucks.

After 39 games there is enough of a body of work on the field to clearly see that this team is not headed in the right direction.

Butch went 5-6 in his 3rd year. I'm guessing you would've said the same about his record through 3 seasons. And your opinion that AG is not the right person for the job is just that....your opinion...which doesn't make it a fact. What is a fact is that, as the talent has improved, the number of wins has also improved. I interpret that fact very cautiously, however. Randy had 3 seasons of improvement, too. I don't necessarily subscribe to the 10 wins or bust or win the Coastal or bust crowd. Just be better. Believe it or not, that could happen without getting more wins or winning the Coastal.

Butch was playing with half a roster. STFU

Butch was playing with half a roster. STFU

and al golden didn't go 5-6, i'm sure you have point, we just don't know what it is.

Advertisement
Back