Derrick Smith transferring schools one more time

I would like someone to take the time to put together all the kids who have left here in the past 10 years for "greener pastures" and also all of the kids who flat-out decommitted at some point in the process. Not leans and then went elsewhere, but kids who were Miami Hurricanes, either enrolled and/or committed.

I would venture to bet 85% of them didn't amount to a singular thing. It's insane. It's almost like a curse...once you develop one smidgen of Miami DNA, if you leave the program, you're completely useless. Just some off the top of my head the past 5+ years:

Dionte Mullins (I know the personal issues, I don't care. I'm talking black and white did you go elsewhere and flourish or not)
Jack Allison
Derrick Smiff
Tre McTitties
Kadeem Telfort
Akeem Dent
Jarvis Brownlee
Artur Sitkowski
Lorenzo Lingard
Marquez Ezzard

There's gotta be 50 more. I can't think of a single kid who bounced and turned out to be a really good player. Josh Jobe? I guess he'll play at the next level? CJ Henderson I guess is one. But it's incredible to me about how badly we twist in the wind when kids leave, and then if you fast-forward a year or two, it was all for naught. Almost NONE of these kids come back to bite us in the ***.
More bums than Skid Row

Advertisement
Yeah, that list is a perfect example of how far we've fallen from Mount Olympus. I'm usually super forgiving on coaches taking a flyer on a project. But other than Lingard, every single one of those guys was AT BEST a project (Allison and Brownlee). You take 1 or 2 per 20+ class, not the 10+ we were taking.

Most were flat out known G5 guys. Certainly Ezzard, Dent, D Smith. I know Sitkowski started at Rutgers, but he wasn't better than Rosier accuracy wise, and while he had an NFL arm, he had the yips and bad judgment. Should have gone to an FAU level school.

Our best transfers out so far have been Gus Edwards followed by Cager followed Scott Patchan. Not a lot of production.
I think it’s kind of hilarious how, after all these years, some of you guys still talk as though Sitkowski actually signed with Miami.

Advertisement
I would like someone to take the time to put together all the kids who have left here in the past 10 years for "greener pastures" and also all of the kids who flat-out decommitted at some point in the process. Not leans and then went elsewhere, but kids who were Miami Hurricanes, either enrolled and/or committed.

I would venture to bet 85% of them didn't amount to a singular thing. It's insane. It's almost like a curse...once you develop one smidgen of Miami DNA, if you leave the program, you're completely useless. Just some off the top of my head the past 5+ years:

Dionte Mullins (I know the personal issues, I don't care. I'm talking black and white did you go elsewhere and flourish or not)
Jack Allison
Derrick Smiff
Tre McTitties
Kadeem Telfort
Akeem Dent
Jarvis Brownlee
Artur Sitkowski
Lorenzo Lingard
Marquez Ezzard

There's gotta be 50 more. I can't think of a single kid who bounced and turned out to be a really good player. Josh Jobe? I guess he'll play at the next level? CJ Henderson I guess is one. But it's incredible to me about how badly we twist in the wind when kids leave, and then if you fast-forward a year or two, it was all for naught. Almost NONE of these kids come back to bite us in the ***.
Arthur brown got 3rd team all American for ksu. The list is extremely short

Jack Allison
Derrick Smiff
Tre McTitties
Kadeem Telfort
Akeem Dent
Jarvis Brownlee
Artur Sitkowski
Lorenzo Lingard
Marquez Ezzard

JOSH JOBE

Karma is a b-tch !
Not even drafted
Surprised he hasn't already been bashed to smithereens on this board.

Jack Allison
Derrick Smiff
Tre McTitties
Kadeem Telfort
Akeem Dent
Jarvis Brownlee
Artur Sitkowski
Lorenzo Lingard
Marquez Ezzard

Gus Edwards - although the success is more in the NFL

Robert Lockhart - I believe this was the 4 star wide receiver from the Golden Era who transferred out and ended up in the NBA G League.

Advertisement
I think it’s kind of hilarious how, after all these years, some of you guys still talk as though Sitkowski actually signed with Miami.

I was just talking about kids we recruited heavily.

I didn't forget. John Richt recruited Sits super heavily with pop's help, and he verballed to us over the summer. Then when we saw how bad he players at IMG where they eventually had to sit him behind another QB, we slow played him until he decommitted and flipped to Rutgers. Meanwhile, we were desperate for another QB in the class, so the players convinced the Richts to go after Jarren Williams with whom several had camped.

Jack Allison
Derrick Smiff
Tre McTitties
Kadeem Telfort
Akeem Dent
Jarvis Brownlee
Artur Sitkowski
Lorenzo Lingard
Marquez Ezzard

Super random name but James Wiggins ended up having a pretty good career at Cincy.

If I remember correctly he was dropped by the coaching staff (could be misremembering), which makes all the recruiting misses hurt even more. They dropped James Wiggins but took Cedric Wright and Jeff James in the same class. Crazy ineptitude we've had to deal with.

I remember people saying he was a steal and was a Sean Taylor type. I'm like bruh he's slow. If Saban don't want him I don't want him. Jimbo ain't want him Kirby either.
𝑀𝑎𝑛 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝑑𝑢𝑑𝑒 𝑤𝑎𝑠 𝑠𝑙𝑜𝑤 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑎 𝑙𝑖𝑛𝑒𝑏𝑎𝑐𝑘𝑒𝑟

Advertisement
Jawaan Taylor

Advertisement
I know Sitkowski started at Rutgers, but he wasn't better than Rosier accuracy wise, and while he had an NFL arm, he had the yips and bad judgment. Should have gone to an FAU level school.

Sitkowski was a glorified TE playing QB, kid had horrible HS stats. And then He had the nerve to talk **** about our QBs during a Spring Game.

Our coaches had some pretty bad evals....I think every single guy you listed was recruited during the Mark Richt era too...

Richt was nothing without UGA dropping bags. At UGA He got almost every player He wanted, but when He had to recruit the plan B's because His plan A's didn't commit to Miami, the results were miserable. Golden was better than Richt in that dept..

Was he committed here? I don’t remember him actually committing. Not sure though.

Zack Moss was definitely committed to Miami.

My memory of it (which could be wrong) is his commitment never felt that firm from either our side or his.

He decommitted shortly after Golden was fired in 2015, and Richt didn't try too hard to get Moss back in the 2016 class.

Advertisement
Back