Depth Chart???

How most of you are looking continuously asking about the depth chart. I hope he releases it with nothing but 3rd stringers just to watch you all have a collective aneurysm. View attachment 206533
Great thought. At this point I'm blaming Mario for missing out on a gold-plated comedic opportunity. Release a depth chart of walk ons, or players from other teams. I mean he already gave us an update on how Cody Brown is doing in camp.

Advertisement
For the anti-depth chart, or indifferent contingent: it is a form of evaluation by the coaches of how well the players progressed through camp. There are a lot of new faces and many positions according to Cristobal have been hotly contested. I for one would like an indicator of how things shook out based on the staff's evaluation. A depth chart is an evaluation of each position group.
Now, of course, we will see the team tomorrow, but It's difficult to thoroughly track who's in the game, as well as evaluating position by position during a single viewing. My guess is there MAY be some very disappointed young men when/if the chart is released and the closer to kickoff it's held keeps everyone on board. Then once guys see significant snaps, starters or not, disappointment will be mitigated.

Besides getting live practice against an opponent, what good is a depth chart this week or next? I would argue that the scrimmages were against better talent then the next two games anyways.

Advertisement
For the anti-depth chart, or indifferent contingent: it is a form of evaluation by the coaches of how well the players progressed through camp. There are a lot of new faces and many positions according to Cristobal have been hotly contested. I for one would like an indicator of how things shook out based on the staff's evaluation. A depth chart is an evaluation of each position group.
Now, of course, we will see the team tomorrow, but It's difficult to thoroughly track who's in the game, as well as evaluating position by position during a single viewing. My guess is there MAY be some very disappointed young men when/if the chart is released and the closer to kickoff it's held keeps everyone on board. Then once guys see significant snaps, starters or not, disappointment will be mitigated.
Do you think that we will get the “real version” of the team tomorrow? I know that we won’t get a huge amount of the playbook. While I am just as curious as most to see who has progressed and who hasn’t, I don’t think that you get that full experience until aTm. I can appreciate your point of keeping everyone focused though. Fact of the matter is ALL players should see significant playing time tomorrow and those that aren’t starters should use it as an opportunity to demonstrate their game day abilities to earn more playing time in future games.

Do you think that we will get the “real version” of the team tomorrow? I know that we won’t get a huge amount of the playbook. While I am just as curious as most to see who has progressed and who hasn’t, I don’t think that you get that full experience until aTm. I can appreciate your point of keeping everyone focused though. Fact of the matter is ALL players should see significant playing time tomorrow and those that aren’t starters should use it as an opportunity to demonstrate their game day abilities to earn more playing time in future games.
Agreed

Also agree with @chipcane

Just bring on the game already haha

SMD got the scoop that Samson Doyo and Derrick Griffin are gonna be surprises to watch for when the depth chart does come out.

Advertisement
SMD got the scoop that Samson Doyo and Derrick Griffin are gonna be surprises to watch for when the depth chart does come out.
"Uhhh..Maryio I seemed to have missed the e-mail with the team's depth chart, or have you not released it just 24 hours before kickoff? And oh, if so, isn't that rather unconventional? And a quick followup, I was on the stationary bikes this morning and didn't notice anyone in the area. Does that mean everyone's a go, except of course Chaney and Citizen and perhaps any suspensions..are there any you'd like to disclose? Thanks, and btw, how's it gonna feel to run out...

Advertisement

A few thoughts on this, and your fair and reasoned points:

1. Playing time is the real indicator of the coach's evaluation of how the players progressed through camp (and beyond). But more importantly, playing time in the most meaningful moments of the most meaningful games is what really matters. We'll get a good taste of the former tomorrow, but (if all goes as planned) very little of the latter.

2. I suspect the coaches have spoken to the players about who will be starting, the sort of minutes/snaps they should expect (obviously depending on how the game is going), and (at least at certain positions, like DL) the anticipated rotation of players. Some guys may still be initially bummed about the depth chart (at least until they get their snaps), but I also think some of the mitigation of hurt feelings happens way before the first snap is played (by talking to the players and managing expectations).

3. Even knowing all of that... I still want a depth chart for my own selfish reasons as a fan. But if Mario doesn't want to provide one until kickoff for whatever reason, then in Mario I trust.

In this day in age where kids transfer at a moments notice, why would any coach issue a depth chart?

Spread the reps, develop depth, and in the tougher games play the hot hands. Starters and leaders will naturally rise to the top.

Advertisement
Sad Family Time GIF by Lifetime

Advertisement
Back