Depth as the Key to Success

SirWillium

Recruit
I think that our failures down the stretch in 2013 can be avoided in 2014 based on the depth on defense that we have quietly been amassing. I, like most of you, am tired of hearing about how great the SEC is, but what won them championships in the past, and what Florida St. was able to do in 2013, was to field a team where the drop-off in terms of talent between starters and back-ups, was minimal, especially on the offensive and defensive line. Yes, we played less difficult competition prior to the FSU game, but after re-watching how physical we were against UF in game one, its obvious that as the season progressed, we rode our horses to death, and that they were completely worn down for the home stretch.

Miami cannot and will not return to greatness until we can allow our starters to catch a breath on the sidelines, and not be forced to replace them with, say, an A.J Highsmith (sorry to throw him under the bus, but his failures were well documented).

Advertisement
We need depth in our coaching ranks more than anything. Our coaching staff isn't even 1 deep at most positions.

I think that our failures down the stretch in 2013 can be avoided in 2014 based on the depth on defense that we have quietly been amassing. I, like most of you, am tired of hearing about how great the SEC is, but what won them championships in the past, and what Florida St. was able to do in 2013, was to field a team where the drop-off in terms of talent between starters and back-ups, was minimal, especially on the offensive and defensive line. Yes, we played less difficult competition prior to the FSU game, but after re-watching how physical we were against UF in game one, its obvious that as the season progressed, we rode our horses to death, and that they were completely worn down for the home stretch.

Miami cannot and will not return to greatness until we can allow our starters to catch a breath on the sidelines, and not be forced to replace them with, say, an A.J Highsmith (sorry to throw him under the bus, but his failures were well documented).

This. Depth has killed us the past 3 seasons.
Looking at the 2014 depth chart looks like depth will be better overall across the board.

The roster needs more depth.

The coaches need more knowledge.

The fan base needs less w*ggers.

Advertisement
Excellent post. I agree 100%. Been one of my biggest issues with our program for a long time. We might have some resemblance of depth this year. Let's see.

Depth is how you win championships. Depth is show you reload every year. Depth is how you dominate for a decade. Depth is how you win 58 straight at home.

Exactly. While our depth is not yet where it needs to be, compared to the past 3-4 years it is MUCH better. Whoever our 2nd string safeties are this year will be better than our starters last year (partly due to Bush's injury). We actually have more than 2 linebackers that are expected to be real contributors vs. just space fillers or freshmen still learning the college game. We have a much deeper, more experienced set of DEs.

While there are still issues, some big ones, depth is a very important factor that many of the doom-and-gloomers seem to want to avoid discussing.

I agree with the OP and it is always a punch in the gut to watch the occassional UM game on ESPN classic from 01'-06' when we still had the depth we needed. When I went to the U at games we always rotated D-line and LB and even secondary with guys like Beason, Kenny Phillips, Sean Taylor, Antrel Rolle, Vilma, DJ Williams, Rocky McIntosh, Kelly Jennings, Wilfork, Calais Campbell, Kareem Brown etc... That talent mixed with their attitude and conditioning in south FL heat is what killed our opponents. Now SMGDH!!!

Advertisement
We need depth in our coaching ranks more than anything. Our coaching staff isn't even 1 deep at most positions.

340.gif

Have to agree with CaneDynasty...Coaching is the week link...Just absolutely embarrassing in our last game with Louisville...You have all season to create momentum after the Florida game but it turned into a regression of the previous year..Words cannot describe the despair I felt with our offensive showing against Louisvilles stand around defense...Any 7th grader in the country knew to go to a hurry-up no huddle, but Coley looked befuddled on the sidelines with no encouragement or change of attack the whole second half..The butt slap snap count continued.continued.continued.with even the announcers stating Louieville new what was coming..I don't think that things will be different this year with Petrino ready to pounce with a new offense, and the second tier opponets have no respect for the once proud Canes...As for all the hope for the defense,it can only be summed up in two words...Mark Don'tno....

We get it, the coaching staff has issues. Trust me, they have issues. Every thread doesn't need to acknowledge this point.

The OP still brings a valid point about the importance of depth.

The issue was worsened when Duke went down. You are right, UM had no depth on D, and then add in an offense that can't sustain drives and the lack of depth on D became a massive hole. This is not a revelation, it was glaringly obvious as the season wore on. They were exhausted by year's end and a mere shell of the D that played well against UF, especially against the run. And expect more of the same, because with Williams going down, they will put 8 in the box and force Olsen to move the chains and I don't think he can. Expect an exhausted, depleted D by 7th game.

Advertisement
We get it, the coaching staff has issues. Trust me, they have issues. Every thread doesn't need to acknowledge this point.

I respectfully disagree.

"A lie gone unchallenged becomes the truth"

I respectfully disagree.

What is the lie?

This staff as put together right now can take the Canes to the promised land.

That is the lie...also the cake is a lie but that is another story.

Advertisement

I respectfully disagree.

What is the lie?

Fair enough but let's not kid ourselves into thinking depth isn't that important.

It is a tremendous deal regardless of the coach. In addition, the issue remains regardless or not if mentioned in a random post on a message board.

I respectfully disagree.

What is the lie?

Fair enough but let's not kid ourselves into thinking depth isn't that important.

It is a tremendous deal regardless of the coach. In addition, the issue remains regardless or not if mentioned in a random post on a message board.

I agree. But, none of my posts are random. ;p

I respectfully disagree.

What is the lie?

nice portal reference lol

I respectfully disagree.

What is the lie?

I agree. But, none of my posts are random. ;p

Hahaha

Advertisement
Back