Demographics and football

Come 2118 the areas northwest of Miami will still be pumping out ballers. It's in the blood. Even though NYC is "fully gentrified" roll through Hunt's Point, Brownsville, Morrisania or East New York after dark and let me know how that goes for you.

Advertisement
Your percentages are a joke but the Hispanic influence in local politics is why Miami politics are a cesspool.

Your percentages are a joke but the Hispanic influence in local politics is why Miami politics are a cesspool.

Here’s my source: http://www.miamidade.gov/planning/library/reports/2009-miami-dade-county-facts.pdf

In my lifetime, the population has gone from 62% White, 15% AA, 23% Hispanic to 12% White, 20% AA, and 69% Hispanic.

Page 7, and I think there is significant double counting in AA and Hispanic #’s

Edit: Tee, you are right that my numbers are off slightly from my first post, but I was pretty **** close from just a guess. Hat tip to the person who said there might be more AA’s now than in the 80’s, as that doc proves.

However, I’m looking beyond just now. 20 years from now? 40? 60?

Last edited:
Even if the number of African Americans is still maintaining steady, as incomes go up the desire and hunger to succeed tends to fade. You can see it in 2nd generation players who are the kids of superstars - Irvin II being a prime example.

"Kids of superstars" is a narrow way to look at it.

What about Chad Wilson's kids?...Vernon Heargraves kid?...Vernon Carey's son is the #2 basketball player in the class of 19'.

Kids don't have to live in poverty for UM to field a successful football program.

Advertisement
"Kids of superstars" is a narrow way to look at it.

What about Chad Wilson's kids?...Vernon Heargraves kid?...Vernon Carey's son is the #2 basketball player in the class of 19'.

Kids don't have to live in poverty for UM to field a successful football program.

I knew that would cause some contention.

In general, football tends to be a lower to middle class sport. As property values skyrocket, that segment takes a hit. I shouldn’t have used MI2, as that is an exaggeration.

I dont care what the canes "look" like. Let's just win baby
True. Wins all look the same.

On the grassroots level the only thing that will 100% KILL your sports programs is neighborhoods becoming majority Asian American. There are neighborhoods in Queens that used to pump out basketball players like you wouldn't believe back in the 60s and 70s. Flushing and Little Neck are now 80% Chinese/Korean. It's great for the neighborhoods. Real estate values are up, crime is down, school performance skyrockets.

However outside of orchestra and math club many recent East Asian and Indian American communities do not value school athletic programs and will fight funding/not participate. Unless that happens in the current hoods we good.

Neighborhoods change and gentrification is real but if you're looking at it in terms of affecting football talent in south Florida, you'd have to really be speculating way into the future if you're trying to see major changes. Who knows what the makeup of the city of Miami will be like in 40 years?

While Dade county may be becoming more and more Hispanic, Broward county is more diverse than ever. As someone who was born and raised in Broward and still lives there now, I can tell you that Hispanic and African Americans are a lot more represented here now than say 30 years ago. When I was in high school in the 90's, there was a lot more segregation between neighborhoods. There were a few majority black schools like Dillard, Ely and Boyd Anderson but almost every school west of the turnpike was majority white kids. Things are a lot more integrated now. I live in east Hollywood in a pretty evenly mixed neighborhood but my local high school team (South Broward) usually isn't any good.

I don't think demographic migration patterns have any affect on Miami's recruiting. IMO the following factors did and do have a negative affect.

1. 15 years of not adapting and investing to and in the modern college football game.

2. In those 15 years Miami was a JAG

DURING THESE YEARS WE LOST LOCAL LOYALTY ELEMENT AND LOVE FOR THE TEAM

3. During those 15 years kids saw other teams have success, in state and OOS.

4. More Importantly they saw kids, "MANY" kids, from SoFl go and star for other teams and it became acceptable and vogue to leave.

5. OOS and In State teams became deeply influential and entrenched in the SoFl recruiting scene.

We just need to win, look good doing it and beat the Clemsons, bagas, fsu, ga and lizards of college football.

Advertisement
People are overreacting, soon as we get like the rest of the other programs and take care of players we will be back. We have just got out of suspension so of course we are in a dry spell. $$$$$$

Wanted to hear some opinions on this.

I’m from Miami, born & raised, and I’ve seen it go from 20% Hispanic/20% African American 60% White to now 85% Hispanic, 5% White and 10% African American.

Immigration, higher costs of living, cultural friction, gentrification and development are pushing lower income families, including many African Americans, out of SoFla and to places like Atlanta and other points north.

Honest question: I believe this is already impacting the U slightly, perhaps 1-3 players a class who would have ended up in Miami in the 80’s/90’s no longer even play in Florida and will therefore go to other schools.

At what point is this a significant issue? Looking at high schools, you this this demographic trend in places like Long Beach Poly (CA), which was an amazing pipeline for talent that has been running fairly dry recently as the neighborhood has been shifting to heavily Mexican. In a larger sense, when does this impact the U?

You got it all wrong OP. More Latinas--especially from Colombia and Venezuela--in Miami should HELP us in recruiting, not hinder us!

Unless it's white women the recruits are after. :oops: Yeah I said it!

LOL

GO CANES!!!!!!

Come 2118 the areas northwest of Miami will still be pumping out ballers. It's in the blood. Even though NYC is "fully gentrified" roll through Hunt's Point, Brownsville, Morrisania or East New York after dark and let me know how that goes for you.

Nothing will happen now adays. If you walked through there 15 years ago you wouldn't make it out alive, but now you either need to have beef with someone over there or wander into the actual hallways of the pjs for something to happen. Obviously there is a chance of getting mugged if you walk there, but there is also that chance in any city. Back when I was growing up you couldn't walk near the polo grounds, baruch houses, by audubon, and that is just in Manhattan. Queens had the bridge. Brooklyn had a lot of dangerous areas like Gowanus and the pink houses(caveman side). The whole south BX.

Advertisement
I don't think demographic migration patterns have any affect on Miami's recruiting. IMO the following factors did and do have a negative affect.

1. 15 years of not adapting and investing to and in the modern college football game.

2. In those 15 years Miami was a JAG

DURING THESE YEARS WE LOST LOCAL LOYALTY ELEMENT AND LOVE FOR THE TEAM

I’m not talking about current recruiting. I’m talking about the next generation or two... kids probably not even born.

Great response, on point, but nothing to do with this thread.

Think we're well set with talent.

BTW, when I went to UM (starting in 1962), South Florida was probably 80% White, 15% African American and 5% Hispanic. Didn't matter because our AD decreed we would not recruit ANY non-White players. Team was 100% White. As were all teams in the SEC, who we modeled ourselves after. First African American football player at UM enrolled in 1967 (Ray Bellamy, who was not from South Florida), 13 years after segregation in education supposedly ended.

Advertisement
I'd be interested to see the actual numbers instead of percentages. I was born in Miami and raised in Hollywood. I've been gone since '83. When I was growing up in Hollywood in the 60's, total population was around 50K. Today, it's well over 350K plus all the surrounding burbs - Pembroke Pines, Miramar, Davie, Hallendale, etc, have exploded in population. Back then, the burbs were just getting started and were mostly undeveloped. Same with Dade and Palm Beach. Total population in Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach - and this is just an estimate - back then was probably less than a million. My point is that even though the percentages of whites and AA's are down, total numbers surely have to be up.

Nothing will happen now adays. If you walked through there 15 years ago you wouldn't make it out alive, but now you either need to have beef with someone over there or wander into the actual hallways of the pjs for something to happen. Obviously there is a chance of getting mugged if you walk there, but there is also that chance in any city. Back when I was growing up you couldn't walk near the polo grounds, baruch houses, by audubon, and that is just in Manhattan. Queens had the bridge. Brooklyn had a lot of dangerous areas like Gowanus and the pink houses(caveman side). The whole south BX.

How is Howard Beach and Atlantic Beach these days? I lived in both back in the early 70s. Howard Beach was John Gotti’s neighborhood back then.

First- Your demographic breakdown is a bit sensationalized. See 2010 census(source-google):
  • Hispanic or Latino of any race: 65.0%
  • White (non-Hispanic): 15.4% (White total 73.8% when including White Hispanics)
  • Black (non-Hispanic): 17.1% (6.9% (Black total 18.9% when including Black Hispanics)
Secondly, we literally have TOO many 4-5star local prospects in the tri county area to sign. It is literally impossible. That is the legit issue in 2018... not enough scholarships.

Also, remember, when you were referencing Miami cleaning up in the 80s and getting all the best players, there wasnt another team in the country that would come down here to recruit. Like Joe Pa was gonna go to Liberty city to pull kids in the 80s, Lou Holtz lol... **** even the Gators barely came down this way. Was really just Miami and FSU. This makes your results skewed... now everyone knows we got all the best kids down here.

Finally, I flew in for the spring game, and I can say that a Hurricanes football game might be the most demographically-inclusive event in the south east. Literally EVERYONE was represented in numbers. My favorite part of the canes is its everyone's team. Blacks, hispanics, whites, **** even dade county asians **** with the canes.

Before Howard, OU was about the only school digging the inner city down here. Howard blazed the trail and JJ paved the road. You are really right about the Canes being the team for everyone. You can get a fight about most anything on this board and still agree on the team.

Advertisement
Back