Demographics and football

Guys, thanks for the thoughts.

I’m looking at the long term impacts of this, and perhaps even looking a generation or more away.

Full disclosure - I’m Hispanic, and to the last point about “certain races being good at football”, it’s deeper than that. From a height and athletic potential perspective, not many Latin Americans could be potential football players, let alone the cultural dynamic of futbol vs football.

Even if the number of African Americans is still maintaining steady, as incomes go up the desire and hunger to succeed tends to fade. You can see it in 2nd generation players who are the kids of superstars - Irvin II being a prime example.

I’m thinking 2040-2060-2080, at what point does this make an impact? Projecting trends out, Little Haiti, Wynwood, Overtown and Richmond Heights will eventually be completely gentrified and more Hispanic/international.

It’s great that the demographic that is a FAN of the Hurricanes is so diverse, but we need players as well. You cannot think that “Miami is the most fertile recruiting region in all of CFB” and then casually ignore the massive demographic changes. What is the impact of those changes?

Just travel to any Hispanic country to see the future. If you like what you see, you will not miss football much. I’m sure the Native American Indians had some games they played when my ansectors got here 250 years ago. There gone and football will be too.

Advertisement
Neighborhoods change and gentrification is real but if you're looking at it in terms of affecting football talent in south Florida, you'd have to really be speculating way into the future if you're trying to see major changes. Who knows what the makeup of the city of Miami will be like in 40 years?

While Dade county may be becoming more and more Hispanic, Broward county is more diverse than ever. As someone who was born and raised in Broward and still lives there now, I can tell you that Hispanic and African Americans are a lot more represented here now than say 30 years ago. When I was in high school in the 90's, there was a lot more segregation between neighborhoods. There were a few majority black schools like Dillard, Ely and Boyd Anderson but almost every school west of the turnpike was majority white kids. Things are a lot more integrated now. I live in east Hollywood in a pretty evenly mixed neighborhood but my local high school team (South Broward) usually isn't any good.

I was just about to say this.

While Dade is become "less black" Broward is becoming more and more diverse. Coral Springs and Margate used to be majority white. Go there now and tell me what you see.

Shoot, just look at the demographics of the high schools. Schools like Western, Flanagan and Cooper City used to be all white. I mean, ALL WHITE. In the late 90's Western had THREE black kids on their entire football team. Walk around their hallways now and you'll see a large numbers of blacks and Hispanics. Same thing in Cooper City.
There's schools in Broward that are churning out D1 kids now that used to NEVER have talent. I was at Western as recently as 2013 and NOW, only 4/5 years later, the demographic of their team looks completely different than it did when I was there. A lot of that can be attributed to people moving IMO.

Pembroke Pines and Miramar is almost all minorities now. East Pines/Miramar has a large black population and West Pines/Miramar is like little Kendall.

One thing I love about this area and our fan base...

The diversity.

It's unique to anything else in college football. Now that I live in a different part of the state I appreciate it more than I ever did. You go to a Miami game and you see people from all walks of life mingling together. A gold-mouthed dred from Carol City will high-five an attorney from Weston who will turn around and bump chests with a Cuban from Doral. All for the love of the same team.

The tailgating in the lot is a colorful array of people.

With the influx of folks from central and south America, Miami is becoming more and more a soccer town. I'm seeing soccer on a lot of restaurant TV's, especially in central and southwest Dade. The soccer park that opened in west Dade... etc.
If you don't grow up loving football, you don't end up loving football. Changes to the demographics in Dade will affect the football talent numbers coming out of Dade... that's why we (need) to recruit from all over after getting who we can from here.
Also, the sport needs big young men (barring Berrios) and that's a factor with the demographics that you can't hide.

Advertisement
fake news

The miami housing market will crash hard again. Reason Hispanic percentage is going up is because so many are immigrating to dade but that doesn’t mean the population of African Americans are decreasing, just the % of African Americans as the overall population grows.

Newsflash, the Hispanic % is growing everywhere in the states while the African American and white population % decreases.

Also from November 2003 “Miami maintains one of the largest Hispanic populations of any city in the U.S., owing not only to significant Cuban immigration in the 1960s, but also to more recent arrivals of Caribbean and Central American populations.”

Last edited:
I was just about to say this.

While Dade is become "less black" Broward is becoming more and more diverse. Coral Springs and Margate used to be majority white. Go there now and tell me what you see.

Shoot, just look at the demographics of the high schools. Schools like Western, Flanagan and Cooper City used to be all white. I mean, ALL WHITE. In the late 90's Western had THREE black kids on their entire football team. Walk around their hallways now and you'll see a large numbers of blacks and Hispanics. Same thing in Cooper City.
There's schools in Broward that are churning out D1 kids now that used to NEVER have talent. I was at Western as recently as 2013 and NOW, only 4/5 years later, the demographic of their team looks completely different than it did when I was there. A lot of that can be attributed to people moving IMO.

Pembroke Pines and Miramar is almost all minorities now. East Pines/Miramar has a large black population and West Pines/Miramar is like little Kendall.

Exactly. I grew up in Pembroke Pines and went to Cooper City because Flanagan wasn't built yet. It was mostly white kids. There was a pretty large Latin population but once Flanagan opened most of the Hispanic kids from Pines all went there. There was maybe 100 Black kids in the whole school (mind you, there was over 1200 kids there at the time) and maybe 6 or 7 of them played football. My school was like Bayside High form "Saved by the Bell". A lot of Broward's western suburbs where "white flight" destinations in the 70's and 80's but gradually started getting more integrated in the 90's. Hurricane Andrew changed everything. All of the sudden, they couldn't stop building new houses out west and almost every single one was being bought by people coming from Dade who lost their home in the storm.

Now, I couldn't care less about anything going on west of 441. The only time I'm out there is to visit family in Davie or Plantation. These people living way out on 190-something avenue are crazy. That's just east Naples.

Just travel to any Hispanic country to see the future. If you like what you see, you will not miss football much. I’m sure the Native American Indians had some games they played when my ansectors got here 250 years ago. There gone and football will be too.

The origins of futbol/soccer date back to the natives in central/ south America who played a primitive version of the game.

Advertisement
The origins of futbol/soccer date back to the natives in central/ south America who played a primitive version of the game.
And North American Indians in the east, played game with stick and ball like baseball but human heads as ball.

You wanna start threads dissin us show yo *** up to lot 12 blue lot bro. We rep for our city and team what about you? Wanna be a keyboard gangsta but none of yall btiches wanna man up and come face us. Keep hidin behind this schit. We dem blue lot boyz 1000 deep on game days. We bout dat bodybag lyfe--come see bout us if you wanna talk schit. Dade county, hialeah, west kendall, stand da fvck up! #CanesFam #SwitchBladeBoyz #BlueLotBoyz

Advertisement
Advertisement
B61734B1-B989-4F42-9623-31AF0BB90379.gif
DBD3BAD2-C7A8-494B-AF61-CFAEA3B94378.gif
F83FA2C3-353E-4BCB-B8F8-C9458287DE16.gif
9F0BB3E1-A87C-483C-B73A-F612A25FE613.gif

Advertisement
Back