Demographics and football

Wanted to hear some opinions on this.

I’m from Miami, born & raised, and I’ve seen it go from 20% Hispanic/20% African American 60% White to now 85% Hispanic, 5% White and 10% African American.

Immigration, higher costs of living, cultural friction, gentrification and development are pushing lower income families, including many African Americans, out of SoFla and to places like Atlanta and other points north.

Honest question: I believe this is already impacting the U slightly, perhaps 1-3 players a class who would have ended up in Miami in the 80’s/90’s no longer even play in Florida and will therefore go to other schools.

At what point is this a significant issue? Looking at high schools, you this this demographic trend in places like Long Beach Poly (CA), which was an amazing pipeline for talent that has been running fairly dry recently as the neighborhood has been shifting to heavily Mexican. In a larger sense, when does this impact the U?
My high school was 50/60% black and we made playoffs every year and won states in track regularly. Shifted to 50% Latino. Needless to say we don’t compete in track and are sub 500 in ball.

Advertisement
My high school was 50/60% black and we made playoffs every year and won states in track regularly. Shifted to 50% Latino. Needless to say we don’t compete in track and are sub 500 in ball.

This is kind of my point. The demographic mix is shifting, so you are losing the body types and also cultural factors that make up a great team.

I’m stereotyping, but diversity is normally a really good thing in a football team not just from an athletic standpoint, but also cultural/behavioral/etc. Hispanics, however, don’t really gravitate to football, so you want your school demographics (and also… your competing school demographics!) to be a mix of AA, Caucasian, and some Hispanic. We are getting nearly majority Hispanic schools with some AA, and that isn’t conducive to good football teams or competition.

This is kind of my point. The demographic mix is shifting, so you are losing the body types and also cultural factors that make up a great team.

I’m stereotyping, but diversity is normally a really good thing in a football team not just from an athletic standpoint, but also cultural/behavioral/etc. Hispanics, however, don’t really gravitate to football, so you want your school demographics (and also… your competing school demographics!) to be a mix of AA, Caucasian, and some Hispanic. We are getting nearly majority Hispanic schools with some AA, and that isn’t conducive to good football teams or competition.

That HS demographic **** doesn't mean anything. If you're a top recruit and your parents were from Miami, and were UM fans, chances are Miami will be in your top 3. Case in point, Shaq & Pinckney's Dads were from Dade, they moved away, and their Sons still chose Miami...ditto with Michael Jackson.

That HS demographic **** doesn't mean anything. If you're a top recruit and your parents were from Miami, and were UM fans, chances are Miami will be in your top 3. Case in point, Shaq & Pinckney's Dads were from Dade, they moved away, and their Sons still chose Miami...ditto with Michael Jackson.

I don’t think you are getting what I’m saying. This change is gradual, over time - I’m talking 10, 20, 30 years out. It’s great that Shaq and Pinckney came back, but that is survivorship bias - how many parents moved away and now have sons at other P5 schools, and how many more times will that happen in 2030, 2050 and 2080?

Also Shaq’s dad was a service manager at the Collection, don’t think he ever moved away.

Advertisement
I don’t think you are getting what I’m saying. This change is gradual, over time - I’m talking 10, 20, 30 years out. It’s great that Shaq and Pinckney came back, but that is survivorship bias - how many parents moved away and now have sons at other P5 schools, and how many more times will that happen in 2030, 2050 and 2080?

Also Shaq’s dad was a service manager at the Collection, don’t think he ever moved away.

Shaq is from Jacksonville. And most Black people from Miami move to Broward or other Counties further north, not a big deal. It's not like they're moving to Alaska or some **** LOL.

Shaq is from Jacksonville. And most Black people from Miami move to Broward or other Counties further north, not a big deal. It's not like they're moving to Alaska or some **** LOL.
You are right - I was thinking of Denzel Perryman.

The further north they move, the more disconnected from Miami they are. That’s my point.

While I find the premise of this thread beyond flawed, I'll personally blame any degradation of the quality of local high school football in South Florida on the higher than usual recent migration of ****bag New Yorkers to this state.

The problem will be too many Joey Meatballs running around in Knicks jerseys and not Hispanics displacing blacks.

Advertisement
You are right - I was thinking of Denzel Perryman.

The further north they move, the more disconnected from Miami they are. That’s my point.

They're disconnected because we're the paupers of CFB, not because they moved North. Win big consistently, and they'll stay, simple.

Why is the muck no longer a power? OPs theory is 100 percent correct. Demographics are destiny. Also if you move a great young football player to an area with no football culture, the athlete may never develop. It’s not all dna, but certain traits are necessary if not sufficient.

Advertisement
Back