Demetrius Jackson knee injury

Pete and D Jax himself both said it was a Meniscus tear....I would consider D. Jax a reputable source on what his own injury was if that's what you were referring to be saying its speculation on his injury...

Sounds good.... Good news

Veterans sitting out give the young guys a lot more needed reps in the spring.

I think this spring Irvin makes a big jump, but the freshmen could use the time to get ready.... Here is to hoping those two are head and shoulders above all...

A note of importance here, there hasn't been any (recent) news in this thread, rather fan base speculation that snowballed from there.

the speculation may very well turn out to be right, but there aren't official details, or a note from a reputable source on the injury yet.

So what does a meniscus injury entail?

Do you mean what does the recovery process entail?

If so, not everybody needs surgery. Usually RICE works. I guess his injury mustve been pretty bad, or in a bad place on the cartilage, but there isn't much to the rehab process, from my understanding.

I tore my meniscus, had a scope and was back to dikking around in 7 weeks. Problem is I recently re tore it and have no health insurance. How does the rice thing work? It is not painful but I can't keep any balance on the leg when I shift my weight to it. Any advice is appreciated.
Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. RICE.

Advertisement
Pete and D Jax himself both said it was a Meniscus tear....I would consider D. Jax a reputable source on what his own injury was if that's what you were referring to be saying its speculation on his injury...

I think this spring Irvin makes a big jump, but the freshmen could use the time to get ready.... Here is to hoping those two are head and shoulders above all...

A note of importance here, there hasn't been any (recent) news in this thread, rather fan base speculation that snowballed from there.

the speculation may very well turn out to be right, but there aren't official details, or a note from a reputable source on the injury yet.

If so, not everybody needs surgery. Usually RICE works. I guess his injury mustve been pretty bad, or in a bad place on the cartilage, but there isn't much to the rehab process, from my understanding.

I tore my meniscus, had a scope and was back to dikking around in 7 weeks. Problem is I recently re tore it and have no health insurance. How does the rice thing work? It is not painful but I can't keep any balance on the leg when I shift my weight to it. Any advice is appreciated.

I haven't seen that posted. All I see is one guy saying "I don't believe they ever confirmed what the injury was, but the fact that there was a possiblity before surgery that he may have been able to return during the season pretty much says it wasn't ACL or PCL. Most likely a colateral ligament or meniscus." and then several people running with that.

I had my meniscus repaired on 12/28. Both sides of the knee and they cleaned up some arthritis. I'm 51 I have almost full range of motion back. Lacking about 10 degrees. I can ride the bike and do elliptical. Stairs aren't a problem either. The first two weeks sucked ***. After that it has improved quickly.

Screenshot_20180123-151118.jpg

Pete/D Jax both responding to my question on twitter about his injury a few weeks ago as I stated earlier in the thread. Its meniscus...

I haven't seen that posted. All I see is one guy saying "I don't believe they ever confirmed what the injury was, but the fact that there was a possiblity before surgery that he may have been able to return during the season pretty much says it wasn't ACL or PCL. Most likely a colateral ligament or meniscus." and then several people running with that.

Advertisement
View attachment 57473

Pete/D Jax both responding to my question on twitter about his injury a few weeks ago as I stated earlier in the thread. Its meniscus...

Cool thanks

Really depends on where in the meniscus the tear is. Some can be repaired if the tear is near the outer rim with better blood supply then it is more likely to be repaired. If not, they may trim and smooth the torn area or, in some cases, choose to remove the meniscus completely. A repair comes with a much longer recovery time, three to six months compared to four to six weeks with an uncomplicated meniscectomy. I saw a tweet from him today with a picture of his knees noting it looks as good as new.

As long as we land Nesta, Chatman, and hopefully Briggs or 1 other DT we'll be good at DL

WDE - Joe Jackson - Jonathan Garvin - Gregory Rousseau

DT - Gerald Willis - Pat Bethel - Tito Odenigbo - Dennis Briggs

DT - Jon Ford - Nesta Silvera - Jamarcus Chatman

SDE - Demetrius Jackson - Scott Patchan - Andrew Chatfield or Tyreic Martin

Very solid 2 Deep, 3 Deep is a little light but not bad

Last edited:
He's a weakside DE for the most part. Remember the play where UNC ran to the QB's left and Demetrius tipped the ball away from an open receiver? That play came from the WDE.

He backs up J. Jackson, plays inside on some downs, and is extremely smart and sound in his assignments.

It's a big loss. Garvin is more talented, but not physically developed, nor does he have the experience to make some of the heady plays that D. Jax makes. You might end up getting enough splash plays from Garvin to make it nearly a wash though.

DJ Johnson has had trouble getting the RB to the ground thus far. He's been in position a few times, only to miss the tackle.

I’m a little surprised by this analysis.

Obviously you watch film with a closer and more well trained eye, but from what I saw watching DJax’s game, I think he will take Chads spot next year.

Didn’t Trent Harris play WDE his fresh, soon and jr years? (I’m asking - that may be inaccurate.) This year Trent backed up Chad at SDE and took his spots on passing downs. I think that was in part to get joe Jackson on the field and maximize his snaps. And JJ played a lot on passing and rushing downs.

When I look at DJax game, I think he might be our strongest DE physically. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him move over to SDE and keep JJ and Garvin at WDE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you look at the date stamp, that was analysis on what he was doing at that point-in-time for us. He mostly was playing WDE at the time. As for next year, I absolutely agree he moves to the SDE position and will probably even start for us. Joe Jackson/Garvin get most of the snaps at WDE, with Rousseau maybe seeing some time there. D Jax/Patchan/Recruits see a lot of snaps at the SDE spot.

The good thing is a lot of our DL can move around quite a bit and are versatile. It shows we could use another DE though.

I kinda agree, but I don't think Demetrius will be getting all that many more snaps at DE than Garvin will. Obviously he will continue to slide down to 3tech in pass situations like we did last year as well

I think Joe Jackson and Jon Garvin will be on the field a whole lot together which would put Joe Jackson at SDE. He is 6'5" 250lbs, and could put on another 5-10 this offseason.

It's entirely possible that J Jackson plays SDE for the majority of snaps and that gets our two best pass rushers on the field at the same time, but it's really important to stop the run first and foremost on early downs. If J Jackson shows he can do that- while also learning opposite handed techniques- then it's great for us. It's not always easy for every player to just flip to the other side and be as effective, but J Jackson is a freak, so maybe he'll do it without incident.

My guess is they try to get as much mileage as they can out of J Jackson and Garvin by playing them in all passing situations and finding ways to play other players on more traditional running plays. We will move our DE's inside to DT on a lot of passing downs as well (as you stated), and that's something we have done a bunch with both D Jax and J Jackson in the past.

I've always been a bigger fan of Scott Patchan than many on this board, so I believe if he's healthy he can help us at SDE. His length, quickness, and tenacity were big assets before the knee injury. If he still has the quicks to go with the length and tenacity, he will surprise.

Patchan as a pass rusher or run stopper?

The play we all saw him make against FSU showcased his get-off, but he doesn’t have a whole lot of film at this level. I’m not very familiar with his high school reel, so any insight into his skill set would be appreciated. The eyeball test says he can be strong enough to set the edge, and be stout against the run.

I don’t know if the Garvin/JJ DE combo is what we want on running downs. Both of them look like pin the ears back and go get him type players. I’d worry about either gaping holes to rush through, or muting the attributes that make those guys such fearsome pass rushers.

To a certain extent this is semantics, as (so long as we stay healthy) we should get solid production from the DE position. But I think we will notice very quickly the luxury of DE depth we had the last 2 years. The rotation has nowhere to go but to shrink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back