Delvon Simmons - DT Transfer from Texas Tech

For all the doubters man Golden and staff been on these DTs tough.
Jucos, high schoolers, transfers. Staff hears ya'll and they going straight to it

Advertisement
I am probably in the minority, but unless there are major family or similar reasons, I am not big on going after these "unhappy transfer" types.

Why?

I can't speak for KLCane, but the fact that the kid wants to transfer makes me wonder why. He may have some perfectly legitimate reasons, but there are other possibilities. Some kids are unable to take an honest stock of themselves and admit that either they are just not as good as they had hoped or that the guy ahead of them on the depth chart is just flat out better. Some kids can't take coaching and tend to adopt an adversarial position relative to the staff and its advice. Some kids can't cope psychologically.

Every case is different, and the only way to really understand a particular one is to look into the details of the situation. I feel confident that Golden would make a careful evaluation before offering.

Last edited:
I am probably in the minority, but unless there are major family or similar reasons, I am not big on going after these "unhappy transfer" types.

Why?

I can't speak for KLCane, but the fact that the kid wants to transfer makes me wonder why. He may have some perfectly legitimate reasons, but there are other possibilities. Some kids are unable to take an honest stock of themselves and admit that either they are just not as good as they had hoped or that the guy ahead of them on the depth chart is just flat out better. Some kids can't take coaching and tend to adopt an adversarial position relative to the staff and its advice. Some kids can't cope psychologically.

Every case is different, and the only way to really understand a particular one is to look into the details of the situation. I feel confident that Golden would make a careful evaluation before offering.

Ever been to Lubbock, TX ? I can't blame anybody who would want to leave that place.....

Advertisement

Why?

Okay, I see what you mean but we can't know about that stuff. I'm pretty sure Kansas State were happy with Arthur Brown...
In this case, new HC, DC & DL coach, maybe he just doesn't feel confident with the new staff...

He wants to leave Texas Tech for Miami, USC, or PSU and people are asking "But why?"

Tubberville probably sold this kid on Texas Tech then bolted. Kid looks around and realizes he signed with Texas freakin Tech, and wants to transfer to a better program.

I'd gladly take him. You add him and Stuckey to the dline in 2014, along with 2-3 incoming freshman, and the dtackle position starts looking a little better.

Bill O'brein at Penn State must be the real deal in terms of development and X's and O's if he can recruit kids to a school this year where they are guaranteed to not make the championship or play in a bowl game. That's crazy. I'm blown away that their class is 15 in the country right now.

Advertisement
Bill O'brein at Penn State must be the real deal in terms of development and X's and O's if he can recruit kids to a school this year where they are guaranteed to not make the championship or play in a bowl game. That's crazy. I'm blown away that their class is 15 in the country right now.

Kids are signing up for 3 straight bowl bans. If kids are willing to play through that, what exactly do kids think will happen to Miami to make them look elsewhere?

Why?

We've had so many transfers, including a good number who did well. Brock Berlin was not bad, and it was obvious why he was transferring. Shane Curry back in the late '80's was a pretty good DE for us after leaving Ga Tech. Cleveland Gary was stuck behind two very good RBs at Georgia, and he came to Miami and didn't do badly. Most of our transfers have been Jucos, but I guess we took a few from other 4-year schools, and most seem to have worked out. Can anybody name some more? The fact there have been so few tells us that as long as you're careful not to end up with somebody else's problem you're OK.

Kids are signing up for 3 straight bowl bans. If kids are willing to play through that, what exactly do kids think will happen to Miami to make them look elsewhere?
This is a Powerball question!

Advertisement

Why?

If they didn't put in the work at their former school; what makes you think they will put in the work here?

Signed,
Joe Flacco

Tashard Choice, Joe Flacco, Ryan Mallett, Randy Moss, Troy Aikman, Brock Berlin, Arthur Brown ect...

Why?

We've had so many transfers, including a good number who did well. Brock Berlin was not bad, and it was obvious why he was transferring. Shane Curry back in the late '80's was a pretty good DE for us after leaving Ga Tech. Cleveland Gary was stuck behind two very good RBs at Georgia, and he came to Miami and didn't do badly. Most of our transfers have been Jucos, but I guess we took a few from other 4-year schools, and most seem to have worked out. Can anybody name some more? The fact there have been so few tells us that as long as you're careful not to end up with somebody else's problem you're OK.

You're right...we had quite a few transfers during the early 1980s...such as Lucious Delegal (Bethune-Cookman), John McVeigh (Kentucky), Julio Cortes (USCarolina),
Jimmy Austin (Nebraska), and a DE/LB from Alabama A&M whose name escapes me.
We also had JUCO transfers like Fred Robinson, Eddie Brown, Ken Sisk,etc

With regards to Simmons, I think his connection to TxTech was through one of Tuberville's assistant coaches,
who was a longtime coach at one of the Virginia prep schools (last name Prunty).

Advertisement
Take Randy Moss off that list. He signed with Notre Same, but wasn't allowed to enroll after an altercation he had in HS. Saint Bobby then took a chance on him where Randy was told he had little room to not ***** up....well he did. He wasn't even at FSU for a year before he got kicked off the team for failing a drug test. It was only then he went to Marshall. Randy never transferred schools because he wanted to....dude was forced to find other schools.

Could it have anything to do with Tubberville leaving?

Nah, what we have here is merely a premadonna who has a low work ethic.
There could NEVER be any other reason he'd want to leave Lubbick, TX to go play at (A) South Florida, (B) Southern California, or (C) Home.
MUST be a character issue.

That's like saying 7th rounders don't become HOFers, signed Tom Brady. Come on, you listed 7 guys in 25 years - and one is Brock Berlin. If that is your best counter, the premise of my hesitation is validated. Do transfers ever have success? Yes. Is it somewhat rare given the amount of transfers? Absolutely.

I think the thing some here are failing to recognize, is that the kid started every game last year. It's not like he's been riding the bench and crying about not getting a fair shot. I'm not sure how that makes him seem like an entitled kid who hasn't put in hard work.

Advertisement
Back