Delone Scaife is a Guard

[]_[] swag

Sophomore
The best o-lineman weve had in the past 5 years is being criminally misused. Scaife is a three and out caliber, draftable Guard, and a moderately serviceable tackle (which made him far and away the best OT on our team last year). He absolutely needed to be at OT last year, but this is why the coaches tried so hard to field a different lineup against the Gators and why finding a grad transfer OT is imperative.

People keep talking about finding an OT to replace Zion. Zion improved last season and should get some good competition from Rivers for his spot on the line.

Moving Scaife to G creates serious competition for the other G and C spot. Gaynor and Donaldson have done nothing to deserve guaranteed spots right now. They are borderline JAGs. Clark campbell reed gaynor and donaldson fighting for two spots should breed some much needed competition.

Possible lineup next year with a playable OT grad transfer.

LT - Zion OR Rivers
LG - Scaife
C - Gaynor OR Clark OR Donaldson
RG - Clark OR Donaldson OR Campbell OR Reed
RT - Transfer

Advertisement
There should always be competition and nobody should be handed anything, but Gaynor isn't a jag. He has some deficiencies, but he's at least a serviceable starter at C, with the potential to develop further these next 2 seasons.

Needs to be moved to the football thread...

But on the point... being more able to be flexible and show that he has good enough quickness to at least be a serviceable Tackle helps scaife

**** Zach Martin was a tackle at ND and immediately was kicked inside to Guard

He may be a guard. I don't really know. There's no evidence of it.

He played tackle in high school, played tackle in the camps and has played tackle at Miami. He's only 6'3 but he has long arms. Until proven otherwise, he is our best tackle and a good one at the college level.

Maybe that changes in the pros. But it's not our problem until someone beats him out at tackle.

Advertisement
no he should be a tackle because he’s by far our best option at that position period. He’s not big enough to be a guard like that. I know He doesn’t have the typically length for a tackle but he absolutely have traits you love with the long arms and ability to bend which allows him effectively to play tackle. His best traits are currently more suited for tackle NOT guard

Dude has the body type of a Guard, but I dont understand how people can actually put on the film and say he isn't a Tackle

Dude has the body type of a Guard, but I dont understand how people can actually put on the film and say he isn't a Tackle
I honestly thought he pretty mediocre in pass protection last year. I like him a lot though, and would love to see him get some time inside.

Advertisement
I honestly thought he pretty mediocre in pass protection last year. I like him a lot though, and would love to see him get some time inside.
That would be the worst decision they can do with the oline considering we have MANY guards but very few options at tackle

I agree with op in the sense that we seem to have a history of throwing our best OL at tackle because of recruiting misses. We did it with Orlando Franklin, Brandon Washington (Golden era), Trevor Darling (before senior year) and now Scaife. He can play tackle sure, but the only reason he's there is because our OL is so god**** FUBAR we have no realistic choice.

2012-2014 was the only period of time in recent history where we saw 5 guys playing in positions they should have been at.

Last edited:
I agree with op in the sense that we seem to have a history of throwing our best OL at tackle because of recruiting misses. We did it with Orlando Franklin, Brandon Washington (Golden era), Trevor Darling (before senior year) and now Scaife. He can play tackle sure, but the only reason he's there is because our OL is so god**** FUBAR we have no realistic choice.
Just like Erick Flowers too, as good of a tackle as he was here, he seems to have found his spot at guard. We have only been able to bring in 1 elite level lineman, max 2 every year for a long long time. We won't ever get ahead like that.

Advertisement
That would be the worst decision they can do with the oline considering we have MANY guards but very few options at tackle
Again, this post was written assuming we land a capable grad transfer OT. Obviously if we don't, we are probably going to need to rely on Scaife at RT. It's nice that we have MANY guards, but our OL sucked across the line last year, it's not like we were gashing teams running up the middle.

He may be a guard. I don't really know. There's no evidence of it.

He played tackle in high school, played tackle in the camps and has played tackle at Miami. He's only 6'3 but he has long arms. Until proven otherwise, he is our best tackle and a good one at the college level.

Maybe that changes in the pros. But it's not our problem until someone beats him out at tackle.

People say he’s a guard because of his height , nothing more. He has long arms and is a really good athlete. I prefer him at tackle unless somebody transfers in who plays tackle.

In a perfect world a LT transfers in and Rivers plays right tackle , scaife slides inside. Other than that I’d stay with RT.

People say he’s a guard because of his height , nothing more. He has long arms and is a really good athlete. I prefer him at tackle unless somebody transfers in who plays tackle.

In a perfect world a LT transfers in and Rivers plays right tackle , scaife slides inside. Other than that I’d stay with RT.

Kid is the goods. But isn't reaching his potential playing tackle. It's not just height, Scaife doesn't have enough foot speed to stay ahead of plus edge rushers. That said, Cribby, I agree he's our best option right now at OT. Hopefully we fix that in May.

Advertisement

Clemson has started a shorter tackle for the last 2 years but Miami fans think scaife can’t play tackle because he’s 6’3... smh

Advertisement
Back