Defensive Scheme vs Talent

The style of play absolutely had something to do with our overall defensive ranking. Going uptempo gives the opposing offense more opportunities to rack up yards and points.

Whether we're scoring in under two minutes or going 3-and-out in 30 seconds. Giving the ball back to the opposing team after short possessions gives them more chances to gain yardage.

yeah the offensive game plan had more to do with it then anything else.... Golden knew that going uptempo was our best shot of winning games b/c the defense wasnt ready.

But the negative of that was those defensive guys that werent ready had to go back out on the field as soon as they got to the sidelines regardless if we scored or punted.... if u remember UM did have a lot of stalled drives where we didnt convert on 3rd down. which ****ed the defense even more.

Also the veteran talent level on the defense in D'onofrio's 1st year was much better then in his 2nd year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
When your mentality is "Yards Dont Matter" this is what happens... This is typical bend but don't break... Let them drive down the field and hope for a turnover or tipped pass on third down... Sickens me too my stomach

This is the truth.

our defense was solid in year 1 .. year 2 not so much..what changed?

The style of play of our offense.

agreed.. and the talent/ maturity of the defensive 2 deep.. people act like Donof is a no name dude who hasn't ever fielded a good defense. this is baffling. there's evidence that these guys know what they're doing on that side of the ball.

You knew of Dorito before he came here? I dont think if you ask every BCS conference team who he is they would know. (Penn state excluded.) Dorito would have the same trajectory as that OC randy hired. ( I already forgot buddy name). Just because a coach does well in a lower conference doesnt automatically mean he will do well at BCS level. Heck some coaches at one BCS school cant perform at another.

The guy hasnt proven anything at this level. Honestly he isnt even qualified for the job. His only qualification is he is Golden's best man. Thats it.

You mean like a top 20 scoring defense?

agreed.. and the talent/ maturity of the defensive 2 deep.. people act like Donof is a no name dude who hasn't ever fielded a good defense. this is baffling. there's evidence that these guys know what they're doing on that side of the ball.

You knew of Dorito before he came here? I dont think if you ask every BCS conference team who he is they would know. (Penn state excluded.) Dorito would have the same trajectory as that OC randy hired. ( I already forgot buddy name). Just because a coach does well in a lower conference doesnt automatically mean he will do well at BCS level. Heck some coaches at one BCS school cant perform at another.

The guy hasnt proven anything at this level. Honestly he isnt even qualified for the job. His only qualification is he is Golden's best man. Thats it.
so you're saying he hasn't had success previously? is that your contention?

True, but that wasn't the biggest factor.

Yards per play allowed: 5.4 (63rd)
Yards per rush attempt: 4.0 (54th)
Sack percentage: 6.10% (41st)

Yards per play allowed: 6.2 (102nd)
Yards per rush attempt: 5.0 (105th)
Sack percentage: 2.42% (122nd)

I understand the defense being on the field longer has a cumulative effect, but those stats reflect a more significant issue than pace. It's not like we were just wearing down as games went on. We were getting torched early and often.

I think it's too simple to say we got out-schemed. How do you build a defense around a shallow, under-talented, undersized, and inexperienced defensive line? It can't be done. Darius Smiff and Corey King were getting serious run, and they were on lollerskates. That's the middle of the defense getting ragdolled. Every play.

If Ojomo had gotten another year (the coaches were counting on him) and Porter had been healthy from jump, I bet our defense looks different. Not good, but certainly not in the triple digits across the board.

Advertisement
When your mentality is "Yards Dont Matter" this is what happens... This is typical bend but don't break... Let them drive down the field and hope for a turnover or tipped pass on third down... Sickens me too my stomach

If we had the '03 defense, we wouldn't have to concede anything. But we don't.

It's nice in theory to play ATTACK MODE all the time. "Old skool Cane football" and all that stuff. We don't have that personnel. Yet.

OCs aren't dumb. It's not hard to scheme against press man and zero blitzes when the d-line can't get home and CBs struggle in coverage. ****, we got torched in just about every package we threw out there last year, and there were a lot. Contrary to popular belief, we didn't sit back in cover 3 all game long.

we can look at hundreds of screenshots, what really matters is that the talent on this defense last year was laughably bad. we had maybe 3 guys in the entire two deep who could play for a top 25 defense. my guess is that the scheme for k st was really vanilla so that our players would play free and react (golden talks about our D now playing faster and without thinking). it's hilarious to suggest that we should've just outnumbered them in the box every play when their QB averaged 23 yards a completion.

i have no idea if d'onofrio is a good coach or not but golden's background as a coach is in defense. the talent they were dealing with at the beginning of last season was sub D-1. i would say its essentially meaningless. this season will be a bit of a better indicator.

All of last season was nothing more than a training and practice session for the defense. They put those guys into the fire and forced them to learn their scheme during games. It was tough and frustrating to watch but hopefully it should pay dividends starting this season

this thread is not necessary at this point in the season. all i can say is No D used all his excuse last season. lets hope for better....significantly better

Advertisement

What do you consider success? If feeding on the bottom tier of teams in your league after you've accumulated the most talent is success then yes. If doing anything against good teams means anything then no.

Blah blah blah, and today I would like to start a thread to hear myself talk..... We got a couple of weeks and we will SEE if our defense has gotten better.
I guarantee if you guys spent 1 week with AG and staff you would be blown away with the depth in knowledge they have in what they are trying to get done here defensively. Other than NT sofla is taylor made for a 3-4 defense. There are tons of LBs with speed, to rush the edge and cover ground. And lots of DE/DT types that are strong enough to hold the edge but quick enough to generate a rush or jump inside on obvious passing downs.
My question is this, is there a scheme that is set up to stop the read option that does not include someone beating their man. In the games I have watched of Oregons, the only time they get stopped is when a DL is stepping up big time and beating his block on the regular. I mean Alabama and LSU have both been shredded by good spread teams in the past, and honestly I truly feel you need a few NASTY DL and LB to actually stop that offense. I mean even UFs offense with Tebow hardly ever got stopped, look at Ohio St last yr, they ran the table.... I just dont know how to stop that offense and obviously the NFL DCs are having an issue with it as it has taken off there too...

good **** rid. what it looks like is that in most of the formations miami was outflanked on the edges or weak up the middle...and all because of their own doing. in the instances where they kept the linebackers on the field against 3 or 4 wide, when they split those guys out it left them susceptible to chunk yardage up the gut which klein exposed. it would seem they kept the linebackers in to defend the run but their alignment sort of defeats that purpose by having them over the slot. and you've now opened yourself up to be exposed via the pass because most outside linebackers can't cover a slot guy.

question: about how many times did miami run nickel or dime last year? in a recent conference muschamp estimated we played nickel or dime about 75% of the snaps last year because of the way offenses are evolving. elam was essentially used as our 'linebacker' to protect against the run while everyone else covered, the caveat being he's athletic enough to cover as well. it would seem in these instances miami would have benefited by going to a bit of a hybrid with a guy like bush used as the force against the run. did the coaches just not have much confidence in your third corner?

Advertisement

What do you consider success? If feeding on the bottom tier of teams in your league after you've accumulated the most talent is success then yes. If doing anything against good teams means anything then no.

this is the dumbest argument ever made against D'Onof. So when butch accumulated the most talent and we were feeding on the big east, was that NOT success? Isn't that what a good staff does? I can't believe you actually feel you made a good point.

You know what I consider success? a 16th ranked D in Total D and Scoring D.. that's success.. ESPECIALLY when you consider where temple was a team and as a defense before they got there.

Advertisement
good **** rid. what it looks like is that in most of the formations miami was outflanked on the edges or weak up the middle...and all because of their own doing. in the instances where they kept the linebackers on the field against 3 or 4 wide, when they split those guys out it left them susceptible to chunk yardage up the gut which klein exposed. it would seem they kept the linebackers in to defend the run but their alignment sort of defeats that purpose by having them over the slot. and you've now opened yourself up to be exposed via the pass because most outside linebackers can't cover a slot guy.

question: about how many times did miami run nickel or dime last year? in a recent conference muschamp estimated we played nickel or dime about 75% of the snaps last year because of the way offenses are evolving. elam was essentially used as our 'linebacker' to protect against the run while everyone else covered, the caveat being he's athletic enough to cover as well. it would seem in these instances miami would have benefited by going to a bit of a hybrid with a guy like bush used as the force against the run. did the coaches just not have much confidence in your third corner?

I have been saying this for soo long, When you align like that you basically stop neither the pass nor run. In a fit to stay conservative and not give up anything, we basically align and give up EVERYTHING. SMDH

Advertisement
Back