Defensive Recruiting Assumptions, Oct 30

U

User-4525

Manny Diaz is an excellent coach and we've recruited well enough where I worry less about defensive recruiting. Once we start landing the Stevenson's of the world we'll be like an assembly line of talent circa 80s/early 00s. We look like a Miami defense and we act like a Miami defense. Word to Prop Joe.

WDE - Cam Williams has all the tools and will be successful in Diaz's defense. Glad he's committed. We need to hold off Penn State. Bogle is a must get. We can't let a south Florida kid that talented leave the tri-county area. Jahfar Harvey is great. Glad we got on him early.

Summeral will follow Zip to UF.

SDE - We aren't getting Weaver. We used our OV and got no traction after the visit. Maybe he changes his mind, but I expect him to go to UK. With Greg Rousseau redshirting, I am not as concerned about DE as some other people. Finish with Bogle and we will be more than ok.

Munoz hasn't performed like many have thought but we need kids like Munoz on our team. He earned his offer for a reason. Munoz is a die hard canes fan, seems like he will work his *** off, and not get in trouble much. He is a kid that isn't likely to transfer unless he gets pushed out too. Maybe we change his body and he could be a solid backup DT. Not every recruit has to be an All-American. Like Lavar Ball said, stay in your lane. We have 85 scholarships and using some on hometown kids that are smart and positively influence other players will help create a strong culture.

DT - Jalar Holley is a Simpson recruit so let's see how he works out. Glad he's on board because we need numbers. I think Jason Blisset is a major sleeper who will need time to get adjusted to a faster pace, but has great tools.

Losing Ingraham was a major loss. No other way around it. However, I hope we keep pushing for one last official visit before he signs. We should've offer the top 30 DTS for 2020 yesterday. We need to be on these kids before anyone else, and even then, we still may not get them. The reason we're likely to keep Crowley is because we were on him before anyone else.

Hey Mark Richt, John 21:4-6 states: "4 Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples did not recognize that it was Jesus. 5 So He called out to them, “Children, do you have any fish?”“No,” they answered. 6 He told them, “Cast the net on the right side of the boat, and you will find some.” So they cast it there, and they were unable to haul it in because of the great number of fish."

We're late to the ball on the 4 DTs Stefan mentioned. Who knows what will happen there but I doubt we land any of them. We should've been on Cheney yesterday, even if we believed Ingraham was coming. If Gerald Willis can play at Miami, there's hope for Cheney. We need to cast a wider net on the right side of the boat.

We need Gerald Willis to succeed in the NFL (for his own sake and because he's a cane) and for Simpson's resume. Garvin and Joe Jackson on Simpson's resume will also look very good.

LB - Diaz likes to stay in the state of Florida for LB. I don't think he cares to scour the earth for LB talent because he believes he can coach up LBs to fit his system. Well, maybe we should supplement some of these Florida kids with OOS kids because our LB play has left much to be desired this year.

Huff looks like the best of the 3, but I like all 3 guys we got. They all seem solid. They'll sit for a year behind McCloud, Shaq, and Pinckey then have the opportunity to start as sophomores. I hope we coach them up well.

Who the **** is Patke recruiting?

CB - We need Dent. Dent has size, speed, south florida attitude, and will be ready to play early. He can become a 1-3rd round pick. Couch is a great nickel corner who can bounce to the outside if we need him to and Damarius Good has great tools but is a project. Jarvis Brownlee is a great undersized cover corner. He seems to be looking around though so we need to be mindful of that. We need to keep him committed. With all those 3 having concerns, we need a surefire corner like Dent to supplement them.

Alabama seems to have the lead, but again, we have the mom's ear. I'm not worried about anything Dent says or does until late November. And if he's signing in Feb, then I wont be worried about it till late December.

S - Cornelius Nunn and Keontra Smith are great. I have high expectations for both. Smith will be a good SS and Nunn FS or CB. Tyrique Stevenson would be an all-american FS if he comes here. There is still a long way to December/Feb although we're trending up for him now. I've seen this story way too many times. Save yourself some stress/time and don't follow or listen to anything he or any reporter says about Stevenson till mid to late November.

Jordan Battle is taking everyone for a ride. Only difference between Battle and Keith Bryant (recruiting wise) is Bryant trolled on social media and Battle trolls through the information given to reporters. He'll probably end up at Bama or wherever. Maybe he even stays at OSU but I doubt it. When there's smoke, there's usually a fire. Main takeaway is that he is not coming to Miami

Conclusion

Our defensive recruiting is good, not great. However, we have an elite defensive coordinator so we're still ranked top 5 in the country. Our offensive skill position recruiting is great, qb recruiting fluctuates every cycle, our interior oline recruiting is good, but we have no tackles. Our offensive scheme/playcalling coaches leaves much to be desired. It doesn't matter if you have Mike Harley, Jeff Thomas, Pope, DJ, Homer, etc etc if Thomas can't even touch the ball 3 times a game on offense. Like Leach said, there is nothing balanced about 50 run / 50 pass.

Once Banda, Rumph, and Patke get some players ballin in the NFL, things will come much easier on defense because we're producing at a high level. Rumph knows what the **** he is doing. Surtain and Campbell didn't turn down Miami because they hate Rumph. They didn't come to Miami because Bama/UGA are doing it bigger than better than us at the moment, and their HC/DC/Db coaches have more guys in the NFL than Rumph, at the moment. Kids these days are done with all the chit chat **** because every coach is saying the same thing. They're looking at results.

Only advice I'd have for Manny is to start offering players earlier. We were late to the ball on Chatfield and Samuel - lost both of them because it. We were late on Bandy but that kid had too much cane in his blood to come here. I think Brooklyndee said there's two west coast kids that want Canes offers. Just offer them. 99% chance they won't commit on the spot anyway. Then, you tell them they need to visit you by the end of the summer or else you stop recruiting them. Very simple.

Not worried about our defense moving forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Manny Diaz does not recruit so that advice to him is redundant. That’s not his role here

He doesn't do the heavy lifting but if you think our defensive coordinator isn't recruiting LBs or choosing who he wants on defense I have some land in Hawaii to sell to you. I'll need a $10,000 downpayment in all cash

Advertisement
Am I the only one worried about our Defense after this season?

Advertisement
Might be time for Coach Simpson to eat a little humble pie an revisit 2019 DT Denzel Daxon recruitment. I am sure we could mend that fence to flip him back from U of L. He may have a limited tool box of moves but that is what coaching is there for.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Definitely agree about needing to cast a wider net. What did we try to recruit, three blue chip DTs this whole cycle? Maybe less. Seems pretty careless to me not offer and recruit more guys.

Who’s John Battle? Lol. You are also wondering who the **** is Patke recruiting, well my question is why the **** is he on this staff?

Good analysis on Munoz. You didn't cover all the traits he brings to the table but still good to see someone who gets it with regard to roster building.

Of course. I didn't get too much into evaluations but it's not like Munoz got a meal ticket. He earned his offer for a reason

Advertisement
Back