Defensive Rankings

Offense wins in college, take a look at SMU, ranked 110th in defense yet they won 10 games. If our defense performs at the same level
as last year and Lashlee is 75% of what they say he is, then we should expect nothing less than a 9 or 10 win season.
Offense 100% wins championships in college. Just look at Clemson vs Bama in championship games... Even Lsu vs Bama looked like arena football and Bama has been known for their D

Advertisement
Don't hang your hat on Lashlee fixing the offense as our golden ticket back. If he runs tempo the D will see the field more often, which means more opportunities to give up points. On top of that, despite what anyone thinks about Shaq and Pink , losing two four-year starters without missing a beat isn't going to happen. We're razor thin at CB and as of now the same ******* who called a 3-man rush, delayed blitz on 4th & 17 is still our DC. Fire his *** and throw a boatload of money at Charlie Strong or another established DC and I'd feel better about the D holding up its end.
Anyway we can send Manny to Belichick wink Martindale or Mike Vrabel over the February and March period. Serious question

The defense is trash bc the scheme, coaching, and depth (overall talent) is trash. If we actually played a real schedule the ranking would’ve been much further down the list.

LaTech scored 14
FIU scored 30
GaTech scored 28
Duke scored 27

The defense sucks versus actual football teams.

We played mediocre at best offenses. We were terrible in the clutch. We showed no pride/heart/toughness in games of substance. Our schedule made it seem a lot better than it was. In Sam Howell's first true start as a freshman he lit up our secondary. CMU was lighting up our defense except they kept dropping wide open passes with plenty of green in front of them.

Let's see how they look next year with new linebackers, Bandy gone, Garvin gone, and an offense that should put the defense in the game a lot more.

When we play real comp the D has always folded under Diaz. Except the ND game cause they had no QB and there was a beast named RJ Mac.....who does the same **** in the NFL when he gets burn. Now obviously people will say get someone like RJ again.....well we can't cause the evals are bad and we can't close even when we identify someone.

Advertisement
When we play real comp the D has always folded under Diaz. Except the ND game cause they had no QB and there was a beast named RJ Mac.....who does the same **** in the NFL when he gets burn. Now obviously people will say get someone like RJ again.....well we can't cause the evals are bad and we can't close even when we identify someone.

To be fair we do have some young, unproven raw talent in the pipeline at DT: Roberts, Blisset, Harrison-Hunte, maybe Moise, etc.

To be fair we do have some young, unproven raw talent in the pipeline at DT: Roberts, Blisset, Harrison-Hunte, maybe Moise, etc.
I didn't like how we recruited the position under Richt or Diaz. Maybe those guys can cut it but I don't see a G3 or RJ in that group. Could be wrong but let's see.....not even my boy Nesta on those two level.

The defense is trash bc the scheme, coaching, and depth (overall talent) is trash. If we actually played a real schedule the ranking would’ve been much further down the list.

LaTech scored 14
FIU scored 30
GaTech scored 28
Duke scored 27

La Tech had 7 points with a minute to go
GT Tech score 7 points on offense in regulation
Duke had 13 points going into the 4th
FIU had 13 points at half

If we had a semi decent offense all 4 of those games would have been over at halftime like the Louisville game

Defense isn't some elite unit but to cry like its the root of our problems is stupid

I saw a stat that if in our our previous 3 years if we scored 30 points we would have like 1 or 2 losses

They ain't carried crap. Our schedule was horrible. If they were great they shut out GT, La tech and FIU. Golden was winning 8 games with the worse D known to mankind. its not hard to win 8 games in the ACC.
the defense doesn’t score points like offense can.

Nobody is shutting out teams anymore in college. Name the schools that have multiple shutouts during the season.... I’ll wait.

Advertisement
They didnt come through in the clutch. Blake needs to ******* go. I swear im going to be sick when i see Rosseau covering slots this year. The recruiting keeps getting worse and worse. How Rumph still has a ******* job is beyond me.

It seems we were better than we all thought. Fix the O and add a competent kicker. Lets hope Manny has the IQ to accomplish this.

So San Diego State's defense is better than Ohio State's defense? And Wyoming's defense is better than Alabama's and LSU's? Statistics only tell half the story and don't take into account quality of opponents or other factors. GR15 is the only consistently bright spot of the defense

I said using App State as the measuring stick was arbitrary, not our overall record. However, using our overall record to measure our defense is obviously a poor choice since the offense (which was objectively awful) contributes equally to that.

To your point about top offenses we faced, against the best 3 we gave up:
24 to UF (who averaged 33)
27 to Louisville (who averaged 33)
28 to UNC (who averaged 32)

So we didn't get "lit up" by any of them. The D played one awful game all year, giving up 42 to a VT team that averaged 30. That's an obvious outlier.

Wake Forest held UNC to 18 and Duke held them to 20. Not very good company. They put up 50+ on Mercer and Temple, which probably contributes largely to their average.

Advertisement
F*** the rankings. We all saw 4th & 17 at UNC, Virginia Tech's fullback looking like Larry Czonka, FIU, and Duke. LB and DB recruiting are crippling the roster.

Overhaul is needed with the defensive staff as well. Don't kid yourself for a second.
Liked for mentioning the great Larry Csonka 👍

Don't hang your hat on Lashlee fixing the offense as our golden ticket back. If he runs tempo the D will see the field more often, which means more opportunities to give up points. On top of that, despite what anyone thinks about Shaq and Pink , losing two four-year starters without missing a beat isn't going to happen. We're razor thin at CB and as of now the same ******* who called a 3-man rush, delayed blitz on 4th & 17 is still our DC. Fire his *** and throw a boatload of money at Charlie Strong or another established DC and I'd feel better about the D holding up its end.
like all of the three and outs we had this year

I didn't like how we recruited the position under Richt or Diaz. Maybe those guys can cut it but I don't see a G3 or RJ in that group. Could be wrong but let's see.....not even my boy Nesta on those two level.
coaches speak very highly about Blissett

Advertisement
Thanks OP for actually using OBJECTIVE stats as opposed to dumbasses trying to frame a narrative that our defense sucks.

There are a million things wrong with this team and the athletic administration, but the defense on the field is the least of our problems.

Four times they gave up the lead in the fourth quarter. Let a bad fiu team hang 30 on them...etc.
To say the defense doesn't hsbe problems is just false. Offense overshadowed the problems with the defense but that doesn't mean they are not there.

Advertisement
Back