Defensive Cordinator Wishlist

Advertisement
Where do I submit my resume and cover letter? Pretty sure I could give up =/< 550 yards rushing to a basketball school without a turnover chain. Even if I can't, my dumbass could find a way to stop the same god**** counter left/right running play.
Mad respect Dan! You're the first one I've ever seen even mention this. Other people just want to *****, moan and bellyache tryin to sound more football educated and important than they are.

PHIL PARKER (DC/Secondary) IOWA
Philparker_crop_north.jpg

- Been nominated the last 3 years (2018, 2019, 2020) for the Broyles Award (Top Assistant Coach).

- Has ranked 7th (2018, 2019) and 8th (2020) in total DFEI in the nation.

We ranked 25th in 2019 and are currently 30th in DFEI. When Manny was our DC we were 5th (2018), 15th (2017) and 11th (2016).

Advertisement
Advertisement
Based on what they've done lately... keep Muschamp and Strong away from here. Muschamp just had the worst defense in the entire county with all of his own players and multiple "high-round" picks. Wasn't good at Auburn either. Strong is expired by 10-15 years imo but much did he learn at Alabama?

Realistic options for us to consider that would revamp what we're doing but still be in Manny's "comfort-zone" of TFL/Sacks/Havoc:

Jim Knowles (Oklahoma State) - Completely turned their defense around in 2 years after they hired him from Duke. Did wonders at Duke for several years with little to no NFL talent. They have fallen off big time since he left. Ivy League educated (Cornell) and was a HC there as well. On the older side (56 I think) but that might be what we need. He's doing this in the Big 12 defending the most modernized offenses in CFB.

Marcus Freeman (Cincinnati) - The hot young name. Upcomer who has done great things this year and his defensive metrics definitely back it up. Limited experience but will be a HC soon and we could be the next obvious step to get him there in 1-2-3 years.

David Reeves (UAB) - Been nominated for the Broyles Award many times. I was impressed with him game plan against us this year. Absolutely racked up TFL and Sack last year as one of the best defenses in CFB. Multiple NFL level players developed at a G5 school (even after the restart of the program). He's been with Clark for several years now dating back to Jacksonville State. Definitely a respected coach.

A friend of mine maintains a database of defensive rankings and trends for a group that essentially works as a support to schools and coaching search firms hiring coaches/coordinators/HC - Knowles has been at the top of his list since 2013 at Duke and a high choice prior to that. He went to Oklahoma State as a result of the data he sent to Gundy. He was highly recommended to many other jobs that didn't hire him because of charisma and personality fit I assume. The top defensive assistants in CFB right now are Alex Grinch, Dan Lanning, and Jim Leonard.

In his rankings and metrics this season - Freeman's defense at Cincinnati ranks #3 for 2020 (behind Jim Leonard at Wisconsin and Hankwitz at Northwestern), Reeves is top 12, and Knowles is around 15-20. Another name that was high-up he mentioned was Leavitt in the Top 10.

For comparison - Blake Baker and Miami are around 45-50 (the Pass D, RZ D, and 3rd down D rate average and we are still top 5 in TFL and top 30 in Sacks) and Muschamp/TRob and USCe are around 120 with the likes of Vanderbilt, Arizona, and Ole Miss.

My Wishlist: Brent Venables
Miami's Wishlist: Glenn Spencer

Advertisement
Unfortunately, I agree, probably going to need to be someone that aligns with Manny's Defensive philosophies. Got any realistic candidates in mind that would actually work?
Blake is running a different variation of Manny’s defense. He’s not as aggressive as Manny was under Richt. Baker is running a different defense same philosophy I guess. Manny wasn’t playing a bend don’t break defense.

Advertisement
I think Fickell/Freeman are next in line at USC if/when Helton is fired.

The new AD at USC is the one who brought them over to Cincinnati from Ohio state.

Advertisement
Back