Defensive Coordinator candidates.

Advertisement
If we were willing to make an offer to Diaz up to 1.5 million maybe we can make a run at Alabama dc Tosh Lupoi who makes just over 1 million? He’s one of the elite recruiters in the game and a great coach

If we were willing to make an offer to Diaz up to 1.5 million maybe we can make a run at Alabama dc Tosh Lupoi who makes just over 1 million? He’s one of the elite recruiters in the game and a great coach

Come on. You know Bama would just match it. And Tosh has a better chance of getting a high profile HC job at Bama then he does in Miami.

I think style and scheme is as important or maybe even more important here than previous success when it comes to hiring a new DC. What plays well in other places won't necessarily translate to the athletes we normally have at Miami. You have to scheme to the talent available and I'm immediately crossing off guys who play odd-fronts with huge nose tackles. Or 250lb linebacker guys. I'm not saying that stuff doesn't work in other places, it just won't here. The reason Diaz had so much success here after spending a majority of his career on a roller coaster was his scheme was the perfect fit for the guys we have. Putting a heavy emphasis on negative yardage plays and turnovers, even at the risk of giving up yards occasionally was the perfect tonic for Miami's players and fans. Especially after five years of Mark D'Onofrio's ultra conservative, bend but don't break style.

Advertisement
Give me Shoop. Miss State has had some good defenses. Manny worked out well with us. Grantham is working out for Florida.

Doesn’t he have a very spotty resume? I know he’s worked for Rickety, but if this is the best we can do, then fold it up.

He has definitely moved around a good deal over the last ten years, though some of that was bad luck with head coaches getting fired (like when he was under Richt at UGA). North Texas' defense instantly improved under him in his sole season as DC. To be clear, he definitely would not be my first choice, but I considered him a solid yet realistic option.

But it's all moot now anyway. Today he was announced as KU's new special team's coordinator... so scratch him off the list.

Advertisement
A lot of people here were underwhelmed when Manny was hired too.

@Liberty City El did you put this list together if the Info yourself or pasted from another site? Either way thank you and if you did this wow really appreciate the time it must have took.
Anything I write comes from myself, always myself. I don't plagiarize ever.

College football is my absolute favorite sport (along with MMA), so I've followed kept up with it since middle school. I watch a lot of games from every conference including the G5 & even FCS MEAC/SWAC teams. I keep up with coaches, players, recruits etc., I'm college football fanatic lol.

A lot of people here were underwhelmed when Manny was hired too.

I mean, Miami fans were clamoring for a few dudes named Don Brown and Dave Aranda...Manny was a step back from those guys.

Manny was a good get and during a dark time of Miami football, brought some light with his defense.

Advertisement
Anything I write comes from myself, always myself. I don't plagiarize ever.

College football is my absolute favorite sport (along with MMA), so I've followed kept up with it since middle school. I watch a lot of games from every conference including the G5 & even FCS MEAC/SWAC teams. I keep up with coaches, players, recruits etc., I'm college football fanatic lol.
I appreciate your contributions to the board, homie. I may not always agree with you but you always bring the facts.

I could be an elite recruiter too if I was given Bama's "resources"

Advertisement
Greg Schiano is in town.

Schiano is a top notch x's and o's DC. I'd actually feel more confident that he'd figure out a way to totally shut down UF than I would with Manny. Since Rick isn't likely to hire an OC, we'll have to totally shut out UF and hope to win 3-0 after Baxa kicks a 63 yarder or get a defensive TD (unlikely to get a ST TD either since Rick wont make a change there either).

Raymond may be the better long term choice as he'd fill the backfield with 5 stars, but I'm worried short term since he hasn't been a coordinator before (even if he didn't call the defense, I'd like to see that he's crafted gameplans).

The sweet spot seems to be someone like Tosh Lupoi. He makes 1.1 mil at Bama. Might have to pay Aranda-type money to get him to leave though. Since Rick ain't hiring an OC, we do have an extra 1 mil on top of the extra 750k raise we planned on giving Diaz to keep him.

Schiano is hitting a stand up triple, Raymond is a homerun, Lupoi is a grand slam.

Last edited:
Adam Fuller-DC, Marshall
Blake Baker-DC, La Tech-(reportedly going to be Manny's DC at Temple)
Bob Shoop-DC, Miss State

They all run the same defense as Manny Diaz and they are all cheap...Shoop only makes like 400k

Matt House-DC, Kentucky (similar defense as Shannon)
Brian Ward-DC, Syracuse (Tampa 2)
Marcus Freeman-DC, Cinci (I honestly don't know)
Greg Schiano-DC, Ohio St (similar defense as Shannon)
Tyson Summers-DC, Colorado (has experience with 4-3 and 3-4 and has connections to Richt)
Randy Shannon-DC, UCF (same defense he's been running)
Tony Gibson-DC, WVU (3-3-5)

All of these guys have a different approach then Manny, I prefer Shoop.
Don’t know where you got that from but Shoop makes close to a mil now and will probably be bumped to what he was making at UT which was 1.2 mil.

Advertisement
Back