Defensive Coordinator candidates.

Agreed. I mentioned him yesterday in another thread. He's coached LBs at marquee programs, been a DC, has experience with a 4-3, 3-4, and 3-3-5, and coached under Richt at UGA. I think he is a name that makes sense.
Doesn’t he have a very spotty resume? I know he’s worked for Rickety, but if this is the best we can do, then fold it up.

Advertisement
My thing on Raymond is that he’s almost 50. Is he truly still a “rising star”? I’m sure he has potential to be a good DC but at his age, wouldn’t he have had opptys to jump?
That’s what makes me question his ambition and his reputation as a guy capable of running an entire defense. It’s not always an automatic transition. And if he fails there’s no grey beard on the staff to help him.

I remember Tim Walton getting promoted from DB to DC and being overwhelmed to the point that Shannon had to take over. There’s no Shannon to take over here if we hire Raymond and he flops like the pilot on the movie Airplane.

You are 100% correct. We MUST get a dude who can recruit SFL. These boys dont let just anyone in. We have to find a guy who will secure SFL and FL.
Glad to see a list that leaves off Shannon. No way the university lets him back on campus after he sued. Great list, Liberty City El.
Did Kehoe sue UM before he was hired second time?

By the way, what's Art doing these days? Just curious...don't want him back.

My thing on Raymond is that he’s almost 50. Is he truly still a “rising star”? I’m sure he has potential to be a good DC but at his age, wouldn’t he have had opptys to jump?
Yeah. Too old. I remember 50. No way I was a DC at 50.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Absolutely amazing that people are advocating for Banda to be named DC and now Kevin Patrick’s name is coming up as well.

This is why many are doubtful that this program will ever be capable of winning an ACC title let alone a natty..

Mike Tressel - Has built some great Defenses at Mich St & consistently has one of the best Run Defenses in the nation (ranked #1 this year) annually despite the limitations of their program being behind Oh St, Mich & Penn St as far as resources & recruiting in the B1G.

Lance Anderson - One of the best in the business and usually has Stanford's Defense stout playing against high powered Pac-12. Plus, understands how to recruit well at a school with difficult academic requirements & limited schollys.

Danny Gonzalez - Young upcoming DC that killed at SD St, they had 49INT's in 2 years under him & helped turn around AZ ST's Defense this year with Herm Edwards. He runs a 3-3-5 (but I would still consider him)

Jimmy Lake - Another young guy who's done a great job at Wash with Chris Petersen, this season was his 1st year at DC for them (was DB coach before) & currently has them at the #12th ranked Defense, so I doubt he would even be interested.

Mike Macdonald - LB coach for the Ravens, was with Richt at UGA as a GA from 2011-13. Is from Roswell Georgia & coached HS at Cedar Shoals. Don't even think he's interested in going back to college, but Richt gave him his first job as a Grad assistant maybe he'll offer him a pay raise & a chance to be a DC (if interested). And as a Ravens fan I would love to see it happen, but I don't actually believe it will.

Bob Shoop - DC/Safeties Coach at Miss St, currently has them with the #1 scoring Defense (meaning they've given up the least amount of points this season) & #3 Total Defense. Has a good resume with stints at Tenn, Penn St & Vandy.

Bert Watts - DC/LB coach for Fresno St, young upcoming DC that has surprisingly made Fresno St a pretty good Defense. They're 2nd in scoring Defense, 3rd in Defensive TD's, 17th in Total Defense, tied for 12th in turnovers & tied for 5th in INT's. He coached at Bartram Trail & Bishop Kenny back in 08-09, and had a brief stint with the Broncos in 2012. Was DC at UC Davis for 3 years as well.

Vic Koenning - DC/Safeties coach for Troy, is apart of that very good staff that Neal Brown has assembled. Currently has Troy ranked 10th in Sacks & TFL's & 6th in INT's. Was at Clemson from 05-08, KSU from 08-12 & UNC from 2012-2015.

Matt House - DC/LB Coach at Kentucky, had previous stints in the NFL with the Rams/Panthers & was at Pitt & FIU before becoming Kentucky's LB coach 2 years ago.

Corey Raymond - The most Elite CB recruiter in the nation. I don't even need to give a run down of his resume, yall all know how good he is. My question is, being that he's a Lousiana native & that he's coaching at his Alma mater, is he even interested in leaving LSU? He's been there for 6 years putting great DB's in the league the whole time, we wouldn't be the 1st team to offer him a big time gig, why hasn't he left?

This part of the list is NOT for DC, just some good coaches I think would do great with us.

Diron Reynolds - DL coach at Stanford, has experience in the NFL was QC with the Colts from 02-06, was Phins DL coach in 07 & an assistant DL coach with the Vikings from 09-13. Was at Oklahoma in 2015 before getting hired at Stanford in '16. Very good recruiter.

Terrell Buckley - DB coach (if Banda left) former Nole obviously, but coached at LVille & is now at Miss St, was at FSU as a player when Richt was the QB coach in 90-91.

Eli Rasheed - DL coach for Iowa St, Coached at Venice Fl, Booker (Sarasota), FIU from 04-08 & was at Toledo from 09-15. ISU is 21st run defense.

Blue Adams - Miami guy, well respected in South Fla HS scene, does well on the recruiting trail & had USF at 2nd in INT's in 2017.

Honoronable Mention: Kevin Patrick (has been discussed already so I didn't feel the need to write a whole bunch on'em), Derrick LeBlanc (Kentucky DL coach), Brian Jean-Mary & Zach Arnett (San Diego St DC).

@Liberty City El did you put this list together if the Info yourself or pasted from another site? Either way thank you and if you did this wow really appreciate the time it must have took.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I'm not too familiar with some of the names on this list. Could you tell me which, if any, will bring that 4-3 attacking D we've come accustomed to watching at the U? Just don't want another dose of D'Onofrio and his read & react D. I think we all saw enough of that to last us a lifetime. We need someone who understands the South FL athlete and the style of play that best suits them.

Adam Fuller-DC, Marshall
Blake Baker-DC, La Tech-(reportedly going to be Manny's DC at Temple)
Bob Shoop-DC, Miss State

They all run the same defense as Manny Diaz and they are all cheap...Shoop only makes like 400k

Matt House-DC, Kentucky (similar defense as Shannon)
Brian Ward-DC, Syracuse (Tampa 2)
Marcus Freeman-DC, Cinci (I honestly don't know)
Greg Schiano-DC, Ohio St (similar defense as Shannon)
Tyson Summers-DC, Colorado (has experience with 4-3 and 3-4 and has connections to Richt)
Randy Shannon-DC, UCF (same defense he's been running)
Tony Gibson-DC, WVU (3-3-5)

All of these guys have a different approach then Manny, I prefer Shoop.

Last edited:
Kevin Patrick like the thought of returning home 🤷🏾‍♂️
Screenshot_20181214-102214_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yeah, I mentioned him too.
He was co-DC at Clemson with Venables....how much did he coordinate at Clemson?
Also, what's the deal with Jax, coaching changes?

From What I been reading about Jax.... its the offensive side of the ball that Marrone is in trouble for. But who know with Coughlin.
But If I was Richt, I would definitely kick the tires on Hobby....

JC

Advertisement
Back