Defensive Coordinator candidates.

Memnon

Dejazmach
Premium
Mike Tressel - Has built some great Defenses at Mich St & consistently has one of the best Run Defenses in the nation (ranked #1 this year) annually despite the limitations of their program being behind Oh St, Mich & Penn St as far as resources & recruiting in the B1G.

Lance Anderson - One of the best in the business and usually has Stanford's Defense stout playing against high powered Pac-12. Plus, understands how to recruit well at a school with difficult academic requirements & limited schollys.

Danny Gonzalez - Young upcoming DC that killed at SD St, they had 49INT's in 2 years under him & helped turn around AZ ST's Defense this year with Herm Edwards. He runs a 3-3-5 (but I would still consider him)

Jimmy Lake - Another young guy who's done a great job at Wash with Chris Petersen, this season was his 1st year at DC for them (was DB coach before) & currently has them at the #12th ranked Defense, so I doubt he would even be interested.

Mike Macdonald - LB coach for the Ravens, was with Richt at UGA as a GA from 2011-13. Is from Roswell Georgia & coached HS at Cedar Shoals. Don't even think he's interested in going back to college, but Richt gave him his first job as a Grad assistant maybe he'll offer him a pay raise & a chance to be a DC (if interested). And as a Ravens fan I would love to see it happen, but I don't actually believe it will.

Bob Shoop - DC/Safeties Coach at Miss St, currently has them with the #1 scoring Defense (meaning they've given up the least amount of points this season) & #3 Total Defense. Has a good resume with stints at Tenn, Penn St & Vandy.

Bert Watts - DC/LB coach for Fresno St, young upcoming DC that has surprisingly made Fresno St a pretty good Defense. They're 2nd in scoring Defense, 3rd in Defensive TD's, 17th in Total Defense, tied for 12th in turnovers & tied for 5th in INT's. He coached at Bartram Trail & Bishop Kenny back in 08-09, and had a brief stint with the Broncos in 2012. Was DC at UC Davis for 3 years as well.

Vic Koenning - DC/Safeties coach for Troy, is apart of that very good staff that Neal Brown has assembled. Currently has Troy ranked 10th in Sacks & TFL's & 6th in INT's. Was at Clemson from 05-08, KSU from 08-12 & UNC from 2012-2015.

Matt House - DC/LB Coach at Kentucky, had previous stints in the NFL with the Rams/Panthers & was at Pitt & FIU before becoming Kentucky's LB coach 2 years ago.

Corey Raymond - The most Elite CB recruiter in the nation. I don't even need to give a run down of his resume, yall all know how good he is. My question is, being that he's a Lousiana native & that he's coaching at his Alma mater, is he even interested in leaving LSU? He's been there for 6 years putting great DB's in the league the whole time, we wouldn't be the 1st team to offer him a big time gig, why hasn't he left?

This part of the list is NOT for DC, just some good coaches I think would do great with us.

Diron Reynolds - DL coach at Stanford, has experience in the NFL was QC with the Colts from 02-06, was Phins DL coach in 07 & an assistant DL coach with the Vikings from 09-13. Was at Oklahoma in 2015 before getting hired at Stanford in '16. Very good recruiter.

Terrell Buckley - DB coach (if Banda left) former Nole obviously, but coached at LVille & is now at Miss St, was at FSU as a player when Richt was the QB coach in 90-91.

Eli Rasheed - DL coach for Iowa St, Coached at Venice Fl, Booker (Sarasota), FIU from 04-08 & was at Toledo from 09-15. ISU is 21st run defense.

Blue Adams - Miami guy, well respected in South Fla HS scene, does well on the recruiting trail & had USF at 2nd in INT's in 2017.

Honoronable Mention: Kevin Patrick (has been discussed already so I didn't feel the need to write a whole bunch on'em), Derrick LeBlanc (Kentucky DL coach), Brian Jean-Mary & Zach Arnett (San Diego St DC).

Advertisement
Advertisement
Needs to be Bob Shoop. Tennessee aside he’s got a great track record. Brings a 4-3 defense that gets tackles for loss, sacks, and turnovers. Better resume pre Miami than Manny Diaz

Not to mention he’s got the recipe to stop Florida after only giving up 13 points to them this year.. that game is make or break for us and Richt’s tenure

Advertisement
I would too, he would be top of my list, I just wonder if he really wants to leave LSU.

Everybody's got a price though, so I would still offer him $1.5mill & AHC title to come here.

Thought I read he was only making mid six-figures? For no DC experience I would look to increase him no more than double the salary. We don't have tons of $$$, so can't just throw it around too much.

Advertisement
I love you, brother, but some of those names are horrific. For instance, Vic Koenning was an absolute disaster the two times he had a DC gig.
So was Diaz at Texas, his best gig before Miami was Miss St & La Tech, and it wasn't all that great there either.

I'm not saying all these dudes are homeruns, just names to consider.

Advertisement
I would too, he would be top of my list, I just wonder if he really wants to leave LSU.

Everybody's got a price though, so I would still offer him $1.5mill & AHC title to come here.

He's only making $450k at LSU (https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_8cd963dc-c655-11e6-8f00-a3f6978c67b5.html)

I think (hope) similar to Manny that he would view becoming the Miami DC for $800k-$1M would allow him to take the next step and be in position to step in for Aranda whenever Coach O gets fired down the road.

I'm not versed on asst coach contract structure but I'd be fine in "overpaying" a guy like that but only if we can attach a buyout strong enough that it would actually make him an unattractive poach hire as a DC somewhere else. Make it almost untenable for most SEC schools to try to bring him "home" before he's even established here.

When Richt was first hiring his staff, I was hearing strong rumors that Richt wanted Corey Raymond and Kul....Raymond was open to coming as a DC only, but didn't want to make a lateral move. There was a reason Raymond got a huge pay raise in 2016.

Advertisement
Back