Defensive adjustments

The argument isn't really over whether there was any improvement. There clearly was. The argument should be over whether there was enough improvement, which there was not.

this was tabbed to be an 8-10 win team all year, with 10 wins being an over achievement and anything above that being "icing on the cake"... based on our results, we met expectations..

you still don't get it... its not about our record... its about how we lost... whats goldens career record against teams with 4 or less losses? smh

It's not about our record?!?!?! :ibisroflmao:

He's right. It's one thing to lose a couple conference games with the division title on the line, it's another to give up 40+ points each time doing it. I don't think the level of pessimism would be nearly as high if we had been more competitive in those games.

Advertisement
The argument isn't really over whether there was any improvement. There clearly was. The argument should be over whether there was enough improvement, which there was not.

this was tabbed to be an 8-10 win team all year, with 10 wins being an over achievement and anything above that being "icing on the cake"... based on our results, we met expectations..

you still don't get it... its not about our record... its about how we lost... whats goldens career record against teams with 4 or less losses? smh

It's not about our record?!?!?! :ibisroflmao:

He's right. It's one thing to lose a couple conference games with the division title on the line, it's another to give up 40+ points each time doing it. I don't think the level of pessimism would be nearly as high if we had been more competitive in those games.

Giving up 40+ is bad, really bad, we all agree. Homeboy writes it's not about our record, yet in the same sentence, he asks a question about..........record?

To me, that is :ibisroflmao:

You can't see the nuance in what he said? He means, it's not about the overall record, it's about the record when playing the better teams on your schedule. Not only does Golden have a poor record against good teams, but we've been frequently blown out by them the last 2 years as well.

You can't see the nuance in what he said? He means, it's not about the overall record, it's about the record when playing the better teams on your schedule. Not only does Golden have a poor record against good teams, but we've been frequently blown out by them the last 2 years as well.

If you are going to look at a team overall, you have to take ALL games into account. Be it against good teams, bad teams, out of conference, in conference. No one plays the same schedule every year, we dont even play the same conference schedule every year. To say in 1 sentence, its not about the record, yet wants to look at records vs good teams is being "selective". What some are saying here, atleast I am, is we have won more games every season, thats improvement

If you are going to look at a team overall, you have to take ALL games into account. Be it against good teams, bad teams, out of conference, in conference. No one plays the same schedule every year, we dont even play the same conference schedule every year. To say in 1 sentence, its not about the record, yet wants to look at records vs good teams is being "selective". What some are saying here, atleast I am, is we have won more games every season, thats improvement

Of course it's improvement! Only a stupid mope would come up with some stupid BS like more wins don't mean improvement. Again, they credit injuries for UF's terrible season but call Duke and Dorsett getting injured and the offense stumbling down the stretch an excuse. You're dealing with idiots. Come on, these are Miami fans you're debating? They take dumb to a whole new level.

Advertisement
so if we played all D2 teams and went 9-3 would that be improvement?

******* retards abound

we had 4 losses. blow outs all of them. didnt beat a team that finished with more than what 7 wins. give me a ******* break

when we play a slightly above average team, we get destroyed

when we play average teams, we are in a dog fight.

the defense cannot stop anyone that isnt savanna state or an atrocious USF team. it is pathetic.

how we lost.. does that include the fact that we had no duke and no dorsett?

****ing retards abound

we had 4 losses. blow outs all of them. didnt beat a team that finished with more than what 7 wins. give me a ****ing break

the defense cannot stop anyone that isnt savanna state or an atrocious USF team. it is pathetic.

it sounds like you've just described what happens to average teams... we were not, and were not supposed to be a good to very good team last year...

Advertisement

****ing retards abound

we had 4 losses. blow outs all of them. didnt beat a team that finished with more than what 7 wins. give me a ****ing break

Oh wait... You're actually serious?

:rollcanes:

Smoke anutter one bruh...

If my aunt had balls she's be my uncle.

In what world is playing UF and UL playing poor competition when compared to a year when we played ND and KSU?
2013 Schedule was not easier than 2012. I don't care what a flawed SOS metric says.

wow

Yeah exactly. Fiesta Bowl participant and MNC participant is just as easy as a 4-8,
offensively-inept UF and UL.

Soley looking at UFs record highlights the level of analysis used by some. Typical of how a chick not into sports would do when gauging a team.
Oh look they ended 4-8 which means they must have sucked. Wow impressive.

Dunno how that offensively inept team managed to win 11 games in the SEC the previous season. Luck I guess

As a Miami fan, you shouldn't celebrate the UF win any less, I know I wouldn't. But comparing last year's UF team to the one that won 11 games the year prior is just silly.

UF lost Elam, Floyd, Jenkins, Evans, Hunter, McCray, and Okine defensively. And yes the defense was every bit as good but the depth wasn't there.

Offensively UF lost Gilislee, Reed, Hammond, Hines, Nixon, and Wilson as starters on offense. They also lost Sturgis who was critical in converting FGS in a lot of close games, our kicker made 33% of his kicks this year LOL. So that's a combined 14 starters lost from the previous year.

And of the starters who returned, UF lost 3 o-lineman before fall camp even started. Rememeber, we had so few linemen on scholly we couldn't even have a spring game. And we looked like trash against Toledo the week prior to Miami. Anybody who beat us last year can in no way claim that to be a quality win, that's just reality. And those were the injuries just before Miami, they lost even more guys throughout the year. That team was every bit as bad as the record said they were and they were bad from game 1.

Last edited:
Anyone arguing improvement in total wins based on the overall schedule is supporting a flawed position. The OOC Schedule changes every year so for improvement go by the ACC performance.

Year 1: 3-5
Year 2: 5-3
Year 3: 5-3

One can support the overall wins as ACTUAL improvement if the schedule is difficult and consistent (i.e. your beating teams like KSU and Notre Dame instead of FAU and Savanaha State).

To further this improvement theme here is an old post I had (http://www.canesinsight.com/threads...nut-shell-(update)?highlight=Scoring+Defense)

2013:Our ACC Schedule: GT, UNC, WF, FSU, VT, Duke, Pitt and UVA

Our Record: 5-3

SOS (i.e. our opponent’s W/L): 56-42 (33-31)
- 6 Opponents going to Bowl Games

262 Points Allowed or 32.75 PPG
215 Points Scored or 26.875 PPG

2012:Our ACC Schedule: BC, GT, NC St, UNC, FSU, VT, UVA and Duke

Our Record: 5-3

SOS: 50-48 (31-33) *This does not include a post-season record of 3-2*
- 6 Bowl Teams (I included UNC because they had enough wins)

252 Points Allowed or 31.75 PPG
263 Points Scored or 32.875 PPG

2011: Our ACC Schedule: Maryland, VT, UNC, GT, UVA, Duke, FSU and BC

Our Record: 3-5
SOS: 51-46 (30-34) *This does not include a post-season record of 1-4*
- 5 Bowl Teams

163 Points Allowed or 20.375 PPG
219 Points Scored or 27.375 PPG

Like I said, and my man so eloquently illustrated with FACTS. Irrefutable.

In what world is playing UF and UL playing poor competition when compared to a year when we played ND and KSU?
2013 Schedule was not easier than 2012. I don't care what a flawed SOS metric says.

wow

Yeah exactly. Fiesta Bowl participant and MNC participant is just as easy as a 4-8,
offensively-inept UF and UL.

Soley looking at UFs record highlights the level of analysis used by some. Typical of how a chick not into sports would do when gauging a team.
Oh look they ended 4-8 which means they must have sucked. Wow impressive.

Dunno how that offensively inept team managed to win 11 games in the SEC the previous season. Luck I guess

As a Miami fan, you shouldn't celebrate the UF win any less, I know I wouldn't. But comparing last year's UF team to the one that won 11 games the year prior is just silly.

UF lost Elam, Floyd, Jenkins, Evans, Hunter, McCray, and Okine defensively. And yes the defense was every bit as good but the depth wasn't there.

Offensively UF lost Gilislee, Reed, Hammond, Hines, Nixon, and Wilson as starters on offense. They also lost Sturgis who was critical in converting FGS in a lot of close games, our kicker made 33% of his kicks this year LOL.

And of the starters who returned, UF lost 3 o-lineman before fall camp even started. Rememeber, we had so few linemen on scholly we couldn't even have a spring game. And we looked like trash against Toledo the week prior to Miami. Anybody who beat us last year can in no way claim that to be a quality win, that's just reality. That team was every bit as bad as the record said they were.

And that's why I said Miami was going to beat UF while delusional UF fans talked all that ****. So nice watching those clowns walk out of Sunlife with their heads down wondering how on earth Miami won that game. Chicken **** Gators won't schedule Miami and tried to rewrite history of why that is. Have always and will always be chicken **** yellow Gators.

Advertisement
Why does everybody keep bringing up dorsett being out and he was playing like **** before he got hurt. He aint that good if you dont let him go deep you dont even notice him in the game.

Why does everybody keep bringing up dorsett being out and he was playing like **** before he got hurt. He aint that good if you dont let him go deep you dont even notice him in the game.

the deep threat being present,is much better than it not being an option...

Advertisement

the deep threat being present,is much better than it not being an option...

That's a guy who has zero understanding on how a deep threat helps the running game

Man i know more football than half of you up here. No defense is afraid of dorsett if they were they would have not stack the box to stop the duke last year.

CaneSport TV: D'Onofrio breaks down defense

hahahahahahaha....he still sellin these dummy rocks.

141.gif

Man i know more football than half of you up here. No defense is afraid of dorsett if they were they would have not stack the box to stop the duke last year.

So losing your deep threat doesn't help your RB? Yeah it sounds like you know more foozball than most on here. Dorsett had a nice TD grab against the Gators correct? Yeah he really sucked.

And if defenses are stacking the box to stop Duke it doesn't help Dorsett getting open deep correct?

Advertisement
Back