Deepest QB draft in recent history - where does that leave TVD/Miami?

It’s actually a very underwhelming class to me as a person projecting these great CFB QBs into NFL prospects.
I personally don’t see it in the pros with Maye, sanders and Nix and none of the second tier guys look like good pro prospects to me. I think tvd is right around the penix, ewers, Leonard area which I would be comfortable drafting 3rd-4th round although penix seems like a future bust to me as well

Advertisement
It’s actually a very underwhelming class to me as a person projecting these great CFB QBs into NFL prospects.
I personally don’t see it in the pros with Maye, sanders and Nix and none of the second tier guys look like good pro prospects to me. I think tvd is right around the penix, ewers, Leonard area which I would be comfortable drafting 3rd-4th round although penix seems like a future bust to me as well

I’d still take a shot at Maye mid first but not a TOP pick. Bust written over most of the rest.

Listening to Todd McShay this morning on a podcast and he laid out a lot of interesting facts about this years NFL draft, specifically how it is by far the deepest QB draft he can remember in his 20 years covering NCAAF/NFL. Some key points:

- 4-to-4.5 QBs go in the first three rounds on average; thinks it will be higher this year, but any QB outside of the composite "top 10" may end up very late in the draft or go UDFA. There are WAY more QB prospects entering the draft this year and not enough teams to take them all.

- Todd's composite ranking of QBs right now are as follows (these are names he thinks could go in first 3 rounds based on evaluation alone):
1. Caleb Williams (USC)
2. Drake May (UNC)
3. Shedeur Sanders (Colorado) <-- thinks Deon will talk him into staying one more year
4. Quinn Ewers (Texas)
5. Michael Penix (Washington)
6. Riley Leonard (Duke)
7. Bo Nix (Oregon)

- Next level QBs on a lot of NFL teams' boards include Spencer Rattler (South Carolina), Jordan Travis (FSU), Jaydan Daniels (LSU), Sam Hartman (ND) and JJ McCarthy (Michigan).

I know we all think TVD is a top-tier college QB (he is) and is deserving of a high draft position (he should be), but based on where things stand today, he isn't even on anyone's radar in this year's draft evaluation. What are the chances he sticks around one more year? This is a freakish QB draft and unless he blows up on the national stage mid/late season, it may benefit him to wait it out one more year.
This was Russillo's pod, right?

If so, did you understand what Russillo meant when he referenced him and McShay watching Penix Jr in Miami?

McShay might want to completely lay off the sauce too if he still confidentially has Shedeur at that 3 spot and is certain he's a first round pick. Kiper apparently has the kid at 5th overall if he comes out after this year. Please. Can we even wait for him to face his SECOND good P5 defense? Or even see what he does against a relatively average one this week in USC?

Advertisement
Last season was so bad it is still having a negative impact on his stock. That's crazy but understandable. If he keeps playing well he will move towards the top of the board it's that simple. He has to have some game changing plays so the OC doesn't take too much credit.

That horrendous 2021 campaign weighs heavy on most people that don't follow the Canes like we do. A couple of good games this season isn't going to sway anyone, but he definitely has a chance to wash away the stench of that season. If he stayed another year, look out. Team will be lethal next year.

Advertisement
This was Russillo's pod, right?

If so, did you understand what Russillo meant when he referenced him and McShay watching Penix Jr in Miami?

McShay might want to completely lay off the sauce too if he still confidentially has Shedeur at that 3 spot and is certain he's a first round pick. Kiper apparently has the kid at 5th overall if he comes out after this year. Please. Can we even wait for him to face his SECOND good P5 defense? Or even see what he does against a relatively average one this week in USC?

Yup - and regarding "watching Penix Jr. in Miami" - I heard that too and think he meant Indiana.

If TVD returns he'd be 24 years old by draft day 2025. Idk if that matters anymore though.
The Kenny Pickett path. Better to be an old guy in a weak QB Draft- especially with NIL now where at least you're getting paid as you wait another year. You might also end up making more money as a pro AND being on a team that isn't a dumpster fire.

Advertisement
Gotcha. That's what I thought too. Russillo should tighten it up. This is how one ends up in the wrong cabin and naked on a solo trip to Big Sky Country.
I have a love-hate relationship with Russillo's podcast. He's really really good when he's "on", but when he's "off it's a mess. Plus he brings on his "buddies" like Danny Kannell who add absolutely no value to the podcast. He's throwing McShay a bone here having him on weekly because McShay is the reason he got a job with ESPN to begin with.

Advertisement
I do wonder if we have a 10+ win season and it's clear that we're a title contender with him in 2024 how much that will weigh on his decision.

Btw, that 2025 season that Mario keeps pointing to as the one, that home schedule:

USF
Florida
Notre Dame
North Carolina
Louisville
NC State
Va Tech

That's a friggin home schedule.

I have a love-hate relationship with Russillo's podcast. He's really really good when he's "on", but when he's "off it's a mess. Plus he brings on his "buddies" like Danny Kannell who add absolutely no value to the podcast. He's throwing McShay a bone here having him on weekly because McShay is the reason he got a job with ESPN to begin with.
Totally agree. I still can't really even decide if I'd be friends with the guy or would want to fight him. Probably both. He's very knowledgeable about hoops but then that arrogance can sometimes bleed to CFB where he has some blind spots and biases (the love affair with LSU, etc).

Life Advice makes that pod worth the listen almost every time though, imo.

The thing about a full stable of capable prospects (with at least one sure-fire top 5), is that your range can be anywhere from 2nd-5th round.

I think it would be wise to put together 2 consistent years of quality tape.
His potential WR room next year looks to be much more improved as well.

Listening to Todd McShay this morning on a podcast and he laid out a lot of interesting facts about this years NFL draft, specifically how it is by far the deepest QB draft he can remember in his 20 years covering NCAAF/NFL. Some key points:

- 4-to-4.5 QBs go in the first three rounds on average; thinks it will be higher this year, but any QB outside of the composite "top 10" may end up very late in the draft or go UDFA. There are WAY more QB prospects entering the draft this year and not enough teams to take them all.

- Todd's composite ranking of QBs right now are as follows (these are names he thinks could go in first 3 rounds based on evaluation alone):
1. Caleb Williams (USC)
2. Drake May (UNC)
3. Shedeur Sanders (Colorado) <-- thinks Deon will talk him into staying one more year
4. Quinn Ewers (Texas)
5. Michael Penix (Washington)
6. Riley Leonard (Duke)
7. Bo Nix (Oregon)

- Next level QBs on a lot of NFL teams' boards include Spencer Rattler (South Carolina), Jordan Travis (FSU), Jaydan Daniels (LSU), Sam Hartman (ND) and JJ McCarthy (Michigan).

I know we all think TVD is a top-tier college QB (he is) and is deserving of a high draft position (he should be), but based on where things stand today, he isn't even on anyone's radar in this year's draft evaluation. What are the chances he sticks around one more year? This is a freakish QB draft and unless he blows up on the national stage mid/late season, it may benefit him to wait it out one more year.
Well Mc**** would turn on the film he would see TVD is top 5. I mean ball placement, Accuracy, Long ball, Pocket awareness. He's so far proved to be a stud. 🤷‍♂️

Advertisement
Back