Deepest QB draft in recent history - where does that leave TVD/Miami?

“Likely does”

Plenty of “likely dids” stayed for their senior years.
Yeah, and plenty go pro too. So what's your point? Ultimately, it's a case-by-case situation. TVD is 22. If he stays another year, he'll be a 24 y/o rookie in the NFL. Considering that your earning period as an NFL player is biologically limited, he's got a lot of temptation to go pro and try and start earning that paycheck. And right or wrong, you know there will be plenty of scouts that will look askance at a 24 y/o QB. They'll think he's peaked, or has limited potential, or is too old to mold. You know the story lines.

/Don't get me wrong, I hope he stays but I wouldn't bank on it.

Advertisement
I believe that as Sam Hartman is, so is TVD. They are both; in my eyes exactly what I’d be looking for in an NFL talent.

I feel like TVD right now is a late second round QB if he continues this pace. He may actually test decently he’s not a statue.
Agreed. Throw away the tape from last year. What Gattis did to TVD was criminal. If a scout watches TVD with Lashlee or Dawson, that tape is good. I'm no scout, but I'd guess he'd be drafted no later than the 4th round at worst, and maybe he even sneaks in to late first.

Keep getting better each week and take every opportunity to develop quality depth.
We have some athletes on both sides of the ball, quality coaching, and our QB is special.

Anything is possible if we can learn to not beat ourselves.

Advertisement
Travis is not a good pro prospect. That run around and make something happen nonsense will result in him being severely injured at the next level.
Agreed, He’s Justin Fields 2.0, w/o as much talent.But the process is the same, run and dump. Unfortunately there are 250lb linebackers and 300lb DT’s that can catch and hurt y’all’s scrawny A**.

1695845414369.png

And Van Dyke is maximizing his draft stock. Here’s what Pro Football Focus said about him this week: “Last summer, Van Dyke was a projected first-round pick for many draft analysts. Following a disastrous 2022 for both Van Dyke (66.8 grade) and the Hurricanes (5-7 record), that hype died down and he returned to school. “The redshirt junior is once again flashing the tools that made him such an intriguing prospect in the first place. His 94.2 grade leads all quarterbacks in the country. Van Dyke is tied for second in the nation with 13 big-time throws and has only produced two turnover-worthy plays so far. While a Day 1 result is unlikely at this stage, Van Dyke is playing well enough to garner some Day 2 buzz.”

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...y-jackson/article278141167.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:
4 games in I dont think TVD is in that group yet. Lucky for him UNC, Clemson, FSU and maybe even Louisville will be primetime opportunities for him to let it hang. If he can show up in those games this list will look different. He won't pass the top 2 (3*imo) but he certainly could move into the top 5. His biggest problem is he has almost a full year of bad tape on film.
Full year of bad tape? Please enlighten me my friend. Go game by game last year and tell me how you get a full year of bad tape? You can point certain instances in certain games. That is all you got. TVD took the blame for last year's team being bad and media ran with it.

Advertisement
Full year of bad tape? Please enlighten me my friend. Go game by game last year and tell me how you get a full year of bad tape? You can point certain instances in certain games. That is all you got. TVD took the blame for last year's team being bad and media ran with it.
I know you are the residential TVD has never made a mistake guy so I have nothing to offer you. I'll just say it isn't random that TVD isn't projected in the top QB group yet.

Didn't want him in the first place cos I didn't think his game would translate to the NFL.

A washed up Andy Dalton came in against Seattle (Young is 'injured' after two horrific starts) and looked thrice the player.
Agree with the first part.

And major bonus points for using “thrice” in a CiS post.

NFL teams often make weird decisions when drafting quarterbacks so I'm not going to bother predicting who will get drafted and when. You see teams fall in love with physical traits even though the on field results were terrible. You see teams elevate certain players because the type of offense they ran in college is more similar to a pro system, never mind that the guy in question wasn't particularly good. Then you see these horrible franchises draft huge projects and immediately throw them out as starters because they need to justify using an early pick even though the player isn't anywhere near ready to start an NFL game. ****, the 49ers, who are one of the better organizations in football drafted some FCS guy with one year of experience in the first round. And they traded up to do so. (Thanks, from a Dolphins fan)

Advertisement
I know you are the residential TVD has never made a mistake guy so I have nothing to offer you. I'll just say it isn't random that TVD isn't projected in the top QB group yet.
Sure he has made a mistake. Pick vs Miami OH this year for example. That happens and there will be more. I am just challenging you and everyone else that says all of last year was nothing but bad.

There was bad, sure. But most of what went wrong last year was well beyond TVD. Below are his game by game stats last year before getting injured. Coverup the MTSU and TA&M games and tell me his stats were bad? Remember, there were 7 drops in the A&M game and multiple throwaways. In that game he avoided numerous sacks.

Everyone only remembers the MTSU game (Team **** show), the TA&M result and some throws where he seemed to miss open receivers. When people analyze TVD in 2022, they need to consider who the OC was, who the WR coach was, the pathetic relationship between OC/QB coach, who we had available at WR and who we had available on the OL. I am certain some of the what appeared to be missed throws, were because the WRs were not where they were supposed to be. Despite that, and being benched in MTSU, TVD demonstrated massive character and ability to fight through adversity and put up 500 yards in the next game following by another 350 vs VT. Last years experience has grown TVD into a veteran that I would not want to face as an opponent. THIS TEAM IS DANGEROUS.

1695831949279.png

Advertisement
Sure he has made a mistake. Pick vs Miami OH this year for example. That happens and there will be more. I am just challenging you and everyone else that says all of last year was nothing but bad.

There was bad, sure. But most of what went wrong last year was well beyond TVD. Below are his game by game stats last year before getting injured. Coverup the MTSU and TA&M games and tell me his stats were bad? Remember, there were 7 drops in the A&M game and multiple throwaways. In that game he avoided numerous sacks.

Everyone only remembers the MTSU game (Team **** show), the TA&M result and some throws where he seemed to miss open receivers. When people analyze TVD in 2022, they need to consider who the OC was, who the WR coach was, the pathetic relationship between OC/QB coach, who we had available at WR and who we had available on the OL. I am certain some of the what appeared to be missed throws, were because the WRs were not where they were supposed to be. Despite that, and being benched in MTSU, TVD demonstrated massive character and ability to fight through adversity and put up 500 yards in the next game following by another 350 vs VT. Last years experience has grown TVD into a veteran that I would not want to face as an opponent. THIS TEAM IS DANGEROUS.

View attachment 258727
Are you certain the OC won't be used to his detriment to say he may struggle to learn pro system? Not speaking in jest, NFL scouting isn't super thorough.

Are you certain the OC won't be used to his detriment to say he may struggle to learn pro system? Not speaking in jest, NFL scouting isn't super thorough.
If I was a scout starting my due diligence I would ask the question what was different in 2022 vs 2021 and 2023 (so far) and what you noted might be top of mind. However, that due diligence would result in TVD not having an issue with Gattis' system last year. Not TVD being unabel to handle a pro-system. I am certain of it. I can tell you that the other position groups had issues knowing what do to and where to be on each play for which TVD got blamed. Further, would you consider TVD not being able to change a play, change a route, and having to look over to sideline for a new play after a dummy call a pro system? That is youth football.

Nothing pro about what Gattis did last year. He was a pure amateur with how he called a game and how he could not design/calls plays that masked the teams deficiencies (ton of them from OL to WR to RB). TVD's ability to run last years system did not matter when Gattis consistently ran tight sets with long developing mesh plays that TVD could not check out of. Defenses were able to simulate all sorts of pressure that our pathetic OL and beat up RB room could not handle. I will also note that Gattis always went back to the same crap plays in critical situations/red zone and never used 3/4 of the plays put in for a given game.

Pundits make assumptions about what happened last year to TVD. The NFL teams that due the proper due diligence are going to get a steal in TVD. Just hope for his sake the Jets continue to be to stupid to do that.

If I was a scout starting my due diligence I would ask the question what was different in 2022 vs 2021 and 2023 (so far) and what you noted might be top of mind. However, that due diligence would result in TVD not having an issue with Gattis' system last year. Not TVD being unabel to handle a pro-system. I am certain of it. I can tell you that the other position groups had issues knowing what do to and where to be on each play for which TVD got blamed. Further, would you consider TVD not being able to change a play, change a route, and having to look over to sideline for a new play after a dummy call a pro system? That is youth football.

Nothing pro about what Gattis did last year. He was a pure amateur with how he called a game and how he could not design/calls plays that masked the teams deficiencies (ton of them from OL to WR to RB). TVD's ability to run last years system did not matter when Gattis consistently ran tight sets with long developing mesh plays that TVD could not check out of. Defenses were able to simulate all sorts of pressure that our pathetic OL and beat up RB room could not handle. I will also note that Gattis always went back to the same crap plays in critical situations/red zone and never used 3/4 of the plays put in for a given game.

Pundits make assumptions about what happened last year to TVD. The NFL teams that due the proper due diligence are going to get a steal in TVD. Just hope for his sake the Jets continue to be to stupid to do that.
Gattis didn't run a system, so I wouldn’t label it as pro. The point I was making is the NFL frowns upon Air Raid QBs and if thats the label TVD gets he will have hard time breaking it. He will have at least 3-4 big-time opportunities to change the narrative this season.

I personally think TVD is better than anyone on that list not named Caleb Williams & Quinn Ewers. Sanders might be the most overrated QB in recent memory…

Advertisement
Back