December 31st 2019 Miami vs Clemson (ACCN 4 pm) pregame predictions, game thread and post game reactions.

Advertisement
RPI is 25. Can we get to 10 wins and sneak into the NCAAT?
If only the committee still used RPI. Our NET is 84. I think the NET probably takes care of itself with 10 wins in the ACC though. If we can somehow get through this tough stretch with a 4-5 ACC record when we leave Chapel Hill we’ll have a shot.

Until you consistently win your not getting players the caliber of Carey

Miami has been landing good players, even some 1 and done types. Carey is soft as F. Anyone can go somewhere and be a part of a machine. It takes a special talent to want to be different. I get why he wanted to go to Duke, it's still annoying because Miami did everything possible to show him that he could be the difference. Miami has been winning, they've been a winning basketball program throughout his formative years. For as long as he's probably been paying attention to college basketball, Miami has been pretty solid.

Miami has been landing good players, even some 1 and done types. Carey is soft as F. Anyone can go somewhere and be a part of a machine. It takes a special talent to want to be different. I get why he wanted to go to Duke, it's still annoying because Miami did everything possible to show him that he could be the difference. Miami has been winning, they've been a winning basketball program throughout his formative years. For as long as he's probably been paying attention to college basketball, Miami has been pretty solid.
We sucked last year big time, that is a fact. I don't believe we are an NCAA team this year either. Duke is a constant winner and National Title Contender! Duke has been winning throughout his formative years, including Titles! We can't hold Duke's Jock, so when we get more consistently good maybe we land the next Carey-type. For now, we are going to lose out to Duke every time to the stud local kids. Hopefully, next season we can start getting into the NCAA tournament every year and build some recruiting momentum.

We sucked last year big time, that is a fact. I don't believe we are an NCAA team this year either. Duke is a constant winner and National Title Contender! Duke has been winning throughout his formative years, including Titles! We can't hold Duke's Jock, so when we get more consistently good maybe we land the next Carey-type. For now, we are going to lose out to Duke every time to the stud local kids. Hopefully, next season we can start getting into the NCAA tournament every year and build some recruiting momentum.

You realize that in the last 8 years, Miami has 2 Sweet 16s, 5 NCAA appearances(Including 3 of the last 4 years), an NIT final appearance and an ACC Tournament and Regular Season title, right? No one is saying Miami is Duke(Although L has had K's number anytime the talent is anywhere near equal), but it's pretty **** sad that a legacy that has seen how this program has changed punked out and did the "I want to be a cog in someone else's machine" thing. It's weak.

Had Vern Jr. come to Miami, he could have been a legend. With him, this team has the potential to be a legitimate Elite 8 Final 4 type of team. That's historic. Duke is going to be great with or without him. Why? Because it's Duke. He'll just be another guy that passed through. It's a mindset that has taken over basketball, and it's become pretty lousy.

Advertisement
Gak had been awful this year before he got hurt. He was completely lost on defense and has less offensive game than even Miller has. They need to recruit centers. FSU has at least two 7footers every year and we can't get one.
Hamilton really has major connections on the Africa continent. Do any of our coaches ever go over there? Given the inability to recruit good bigs, might be well worth the investment.

Some random stuff:

1. That was a tough win and obviously I am glad we won on the road for our fifth straight. Clemson may finish last in the conference but it was still great to come back down 10 points with less than 9 minutes left in the game. It would have been bad for the team to start 0-2 in conference play with Duke and @ UL coming up. In our last five games, we played:

- Road ACC Team (Clemson)
- @ Illinois 9-4 (1-1)
- Temple 9-3 (1-0) at a Neutral Site

2. I said it in another thread, but even though Sam didn't have the best game, he still produced. Sam's last 5 games (after that tourney) have been much better as he is averaging: 33 Minutes, 11 Points, 8 Rebounds and 1.6 BPG. I don't expect Sam to maintain that production but he clearly has been more consistent/reliable.

3. Front Court Production: I said (https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/thoughts-so-far.156734/) that if we can get 15 Points and 15 Rebounds from the combined efforts of Sam, Rodney and Stone, it would be tremendous. Last night, Sam and Keith combined for 13 Points and 15 Rebounds. Rodney threw in an additional 2 Rebounds in 12 Minutes. We're going to need this to continue in ACC play to have success. I think Stone should start even though he is wildly inconsistent.

4. Our Strength our Guards: Last night the starting guards scored 57 points. Bev had an additional 3 points and that brought us to 60 points. Before this game, I said... The guards are the clear and obvious strength of this team. We will go as far as they take us...If they can combine to score 60 (or more), things may go our way during conference play. I think we will need some more production from the freshman but that may be difficult.

They scored 60 points in total and we won the game. Lykes was a beast. DJ scored 15 and had 7 rebounds. Kam had an additional 15 points. We shoot 9-10 from FT (thanks to Lykes and DJ). I want DJ to shoot more 3s, at least 8/game.

Bev had a bad game. In addition to an atrocious 5 TOs, he had 3 Steals, 3 Points, 3 Rebounds and 1 Assist in 16 Minutes. He is inconsistent, just like his minutes but we can't expect our 3 starting guards to play 35+ MPG each game in ACC play. With that said, the kid is a freshman and he needs to play more.

5. Who is Keith Stone?: Not sure which Stone we can expect going forward but he needs to start and play 25+ MPG. I will gladly take his production last night. I don't think he should shoot too many 3s though.

Not sure what else the staff could have done with Jr.

In the end, he chose to be just another player in a system. I don’t expect every local kid to be another Huell but given the legacy connection, it sure was disappointing

Advertisement
Some random stuff:

1. That was a tough win and obviously I am glad we won on the road for our fifth straight. Clemson may finish last in the conference but it was still great to come back down 10 points with less than 9 minutes left in the game. It would have been bad for the team to start 0-2 in conference play with Duke and @ UL coming up. In our last five games, we played:

- Road ACC Team (Clemson)
- @ Illinois 9-4 (1-1)
- Temple 9-3 (1-0) at a Neutral Site

2. I said it in another thread, but even though Sam didn't have the best game, he still produced. Sam's last 5 games (after that tourney) have been much better as he is averaging: 33 Minutes, 11 Points, 8 Rebounds and 1.6 BPG. I don't expect Sam to maintain that production but he clearly has been more consistent/reliable.

3. Front Court Production: I said (https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/thoughts-so-far.156734/) that if we can get 15 Points and 15 Rebounds from the combined efforts of Sam, Rodney and Stone, it would be tremendous. Last night, Sam and Keith combined for 13 Points and 15 Rebounds. Rodney threw in an additional 2 Rebounds in 12 Minutes. We're going to need this to continue in ACC play to have success. I think Stone should start even though he is wildly inconsistent.

4. Our Strength our Guards: Last night the starting guards scored 57 points. Bev had an additional 3 points and that brought us to 60 points. Before this game, I said... The guards are the clear and obvious strength of this team. We will go as far as they take us...If they can combine to score 60 (or more), things may go our way during conference play. I think we will need some more production from the freshman but that may be difficult.

They scored 60 points in total and we won the game. Lykes was a beast. DJ scored 15 and had 7 rebounds. Kam had an additional 15 points. We shoot 9-10 from FT (thanks to Lykes and DJ). I want DJ to shoot more 3s, at least 8/game.

Bev had a bad game. In addition to an atrocious 5 TOs, he had 3 Steals, 3 Points, 3 Rebounds and 1 Assist in 16 Minutes. He is inconsistent, just like his minutes but we can't expect our 3 starting guards to play 35+ MPG each game in ACC play. With that said, the kid is a freshman and he needs to play more.

5. Who is Keith Stone?: Not sure which Stone we can expect going forward but he needs to start and play 25+ MPG. I will gladly take his production last night. I don't think he should shoot too many 3s though.

Keith Stone grilled up that salmon like a boss.

Advertisement
Back