DE Depth

Realistically this is where D'Onofrio has to earn his money both in personnel and system. The key is going to be stopping the run and getting teams in predictable pass situations. That will be paramount. If we can't do that, we're screwed. If we can, then D'Onofrio's job is to identify the personnel best able to get to the passer and beyond that to use the playbook to do what the personnel can't. This year could be analogous to Schiano's job in 2000. He had a solid run stopping DL that couldn't get to the passer, so he used a wide variety of blitzes to get him there and relied on his back 7 to hold it together. D'Onofrio doesn't have the personnel that Schiano had and almost certainly lacks the mind as well, but we're talking about trying to get to top 40-50 not top 15.

thing is...having guys be "disruptive" can help in stopping the run..but i dont think thats our scheme with our dline....as was stated Luther Robinson got in trouble for
"FREELANCING" when the kid was basically shooting gaps(albe it not our scheme) but he seemed to be disruptive....

im with u...all i want is a top 50 d...that can cause a turnover or two.....

Advertisement
Realistically this is where D'Onofrio has to earn his money both in personnel and system. The key is going to be stopping the run and getting teams in predictable pass situations. That will be paramount. If we can't do that, we're screwed. If we can, then D'Onofrio's job is to identify the personnel best able to get to the passer and beyond that to use the playbook to do what the personnel can't. This year could be analogous to Schiano's job in 2000. He had a solid run stopping DL that couldn't get to the passer, so he used a wide variety of blitzes to get him there and relied on his back 7 to hold it together. D'Onofrio doesn't have the personnel that Schiano had and almost certainly lacks the mind as well, but we're talking about trying to get to top 40-50 not top 15.

We get in the top 50 and we go undefeated.

what do people know about holiett? he looked like he had a quick first step on his hs tapes.

Advertisement
I believe holiett will get some good burn this year, he has the tools and is only a redshirt freshman, plenty of time for this kid.

AQM will get reps from day one. He's very talented and will show up here ready to go. What I'm interested to see is what weight he shows up at.

AQM will get reps from day one. He's very talented and will show up here ready to go. What I'm interested to see is what weight he shows up at.

Magic number...240? I think that's a good weight for a freshman DE in to come in if he's to get some reps during the season.

Same for McCord I'd think. Hope he's working hard right now.

Advertisement
As far as Chick goes, I really thought he played too much last year. I think he just lost some burst because he was tired. We had nobody to replace him with.

people said ricardo williams had trouble adjusting to the new weight. he put it on too fast and was working to correct it. Jelani can be good if healthy but I think our future depends on hoilett and AQM

Advertisement
This may be a ridiculous comparison but I believe AQM will supplement the defense on 3rd downs like Duke supplemented the offense last year. A guy I know who is an NFL scout said there is no way AQM plays more than 3 years of college ball and is an animal. I read a lot of articles about him like this but coming from Jeff, I knew it was all the more legit. Not saying he's J Clowney but bringing him in a package with McCord and Bond as 3rd down pass rushers is going to be deadly.

In theory, what is the difference between the WDE and SDE?

A sde is generally more of a bigger and more stout run stopper, while the wde is more athletic and faster and more of a pass rush presence.

okay then why does rokulika want chick and green on the weakside? neither are pass rushers

Agreed

Who are these pass rushers you speak of? My idea is to get Shayon off the field by having Jelani, Grimble, Kamalu, Dye play SDE with Chick, Shayon, Cain, Hoilett, AQM playing WDE.

McCord will move to DE on passing downs.

Advertisement
Back