DE Depth

Hstokes1447

Junior
At this point the talent level is simply not there at DE. This team does have decent numbers but there are just to many JAGS right now. Development over the next few months will be extremely important, there can be 0 room for error. Chick must put it all together or we are in for a long season. I think this position is still a year away from having the talent to put consistent pressure on the QB. We do have some pieces but they are still unproven. It will be fun and scary to watch these guys this season.

Numbers (This is in order by class not what I think the depth chart will be)
SDE
1. JR Anthony Chickillo
2. JR Jalen Grimble
3. RSO Ufomba Kamalu (I personally believe he will be a DT)
4. RSO Ricardo Williams
5. SO Jelani Hamilton

WDE
1. SR Shayon Green
2. SR kelvin Cain
3. SR Dyron Dye (the staff thinks he will be back by mid season)
4. JR David Perry (I think he will transfer before the season starts)
5. RFR Dwayne Hoilett
6. FR Al-Quadin Muhammad

We only lose 2 guys from this position to graduation. I think the staff needs to bring in 3 explosive guys to raise the talent level at the position.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'd like to see Chick move over to the weakside and supplant Shayon. Let Jelani, Kamalu, Grimble, AQM battle it out on the strong side.

In theory, what is the difference between the WDE and SDE?

The SDE is Strong side defensive end he typically lines up on the same side as the TE, or strong side of the field. WDE is the weak side defensive end and he lines up away from the TE, or on the weak side of the field.

I'd like to see Chick move over to the weakside and supplant Shayon. Let Jelani, Kamalu, Grimble, AQM battle it out on the strong side.

I would love to see anyone take his spot. For some reason this staff absolutely love this guy. I know he lead the team in tackles and has a lot of heart but he just lacks explosion.

Advertisement

I would love to see anyone take his spot. For some reason this staff absolutely love this guy. I know he lead the team in tackles and has a lot of heart but he just lacks explosion.

I don't think the amount of snaps he played last year has anything to do with the staff "absolutely loving him". Who the **** else was going to play?

I don't think the amount of snaps he played last year has anything to do with the staff "absolutely loving him". Who the **** else was going to play?

Agree with this, Green will hopefully be pushed down the chain by some younger more talented players that weren't there or weren't ready last year.

Agree with this, Green will hopefully be pushed down the chain by some younger more talented players that weren't there or weren't ready last year.

Green and Chick both has their moments last year. They were simply overmatched as the season wore along though. It's not a complete overhaul but some reinforcements have arrived and both should benefit from that. We just need to stay healthy.

Advertisement

His freshman season warranted the playing time he got as a soph. This year will be interesting. My guess is that we see a solid year from Chickillo. Im a believer that the sophomore slump is a real thing. Ive seen it many a time.

We are INCREDIBLY young at this position. The reality is you have no ******* clue who is just a JAG from this group: Hoilett, Rico, Kamalu, Muhammad

If 2 of those 4 are above average (I think AQM has star potential and so does Hoilett) and 2 are serviceable then your entire argument is moot.

And while we are here, for everyone bagging on Chickillo, people have him as a Top 50 draft prospect as a junior this year. Maybe our expectations were just unreal. He didn't put up gaudy numbers but he must be doing something right.

And everybody seems to forget Chick was getting double teamed most of the season. Also I know we moved Bond to linebacker, but he will rush the passer as well so he'll help out in that department.

Last edited:
Advertisement
No way aqm is a sde. I think gets 2011 Chickillo esq reps at wde this season.

At this point the talent level is simply not there at DE. This team does have decent numbers but there are just to many JAGS right now. Development over the next few months will be extremely important, there can be 0 room for error. Chick must put it all together or we are in for a long season. I think this position is still a year away from having the talent to put consistent pressure on the QB. We do have some pieces but they are still unproven. It will be fun and scary to watch these guys this season.

Numbers (This is in order by class not what I think the depth chart will be)
SDE
1. JR Anthony Chickillo
2. JR Jalen Grimble
3. RSO Ufomba Kamalu (I personally believe he will be a DT)
4. RSO Ricardo Williams
5. SO Jelani Hamilton

WDE
1. SR Shayon Green
2. SR kelvin Cain
3. SR Dyron Dye (the staff thinks he will be back by mid season)
4. JR David Perry (I think he will transfer before the season starts)
5. RFR Dwayne Hoilett
6. FR Al-Quadin Muhammad

We only lose 2 guys from this position to graduation. I think the staff needs to bring in 3 explosive guys to raise the talent level at the position.

- Ricardo is not a Physical SDE. Can't tough it out against a freshman Standish Dobard in the trenches; enough said.

- Shayon is definately not agile enough to play the Weakside. One could call an "off-tackle" right at him, and tell the Tackle to climb up to block the Linebacker, without blocking Shayon, and he won't make the tackle in the open field. Shayon vs D1 RB = big gainer for the other guys.

Also, although I love the thought of Devonte Bond playing LB, he's too explosive off the edge not to use him at WDE as well!

And while we are here, for everyone bagging on Chickillo, people have him as a Top 50 draft prospect as a junior this year. Maybe our expectations were just unreal. He didn't put up gaudy numbers but he must be doing something right.

I think in general and you hit upon it, we have talent at DE but it was too young last year, and truth be told we wont know everything even after this year. Biggest thing this year will be the development of Jelani, if he can step up it will allow us to go into a 3-4 in some situations, tapering our gleaming weakness at DT.

Advertisement
Bottom line is that we need to get back to the point where we are redshirting these incoming defensive lineman. Sadly it's a numbers game and we just don't have the numbers... Jelan, Chick, Jelani, and McCord shouldve never played as true freshman.. but the lack of bodies forced them to... and will force the incoming kids like AQM and Grace to do the same.

Chick is exhibit A in the "guys who paid the price" for Shannons roster mismanagement. Chick was a body his freshmen uear. The kid should of redshirted and should be no more than a sophomore this year. Its pathetic he had to play as a true freshmen.....but theire was literally no one else.

Realistically this is where D'Onofrio has to earn his money both in personnel and system. The key is going to be stopping the run and getting teams in predictable pass situations. That will be paramount. If we can't do that, we're screwed. If we can, then D'Onofrio's job is to identify the personnel best able to get to the passer and beyond that to use the playbook to do what the personnel can't. This year could be analogous to Schiano's job in 2000. He had a solid run stopping DL that couldn't get to the passer, so he used a wide variety of blitzes to get him there and relied on his back 7 to hold it together. D'Onofrio doesn't have the personnel that Schiano had and almost certainly lacks the mind as well, but we're talking about trying to get to top 40-50 not top 15.

Advertisement
Back