De-commits and Attrition and their impact

Unfortunately there’s no solution to this problem.

Miami will continue to get *some* of the elite SFL kids. Don Chaney is a good example. Once in a while, a kid like this comes along, and the allure of staying home is bigger than the allure of making a lot of money to play college football.

But those kids are going to be very few and far between.

Most kids are Donnell Harris and Tyson Campbell, etc etc. Pimped out to the highest bidder. And any amount of winning will never cure that. Those kids are gone no matter how much Miami wins.

However, Miami can win without those kids. Would it be a **** of a lot easier to win with Frank Ladson & Jerry Jeudy? Obviously. But not every kid is going to UGA for $350k. There’s PLENTY of really good talent, both here and nationally, for Miami to sign and build a formidable program with. The key is hitting on a good number of those kids, and probably more importantly, finding a program changing QB. Pair Top 10-12 classes (which Miami should still be able to sign even without the 5-Star SFL kids, who will bolt to the $EC & Clemson) with a truly elite QB and coaching, and Miami can easily win big. But the fact is, it’s probably going to have to happen without the truly best of the best in SFL, cause the vast majority of these kids are true hoes these days being pimped out to whoever has the heaviest bags. And that’s not gonna change in our favor, probably ever.

But find a QB, evaluate well, sign a good mix of 4-star type kids both here and nationally, and try like **** to convince the local monsters to be Don Chaney and not Josh Jobe, and you can be fine.

Advertisement
Unfortunately there’s no solution to this problem.

Miami will continue to get *some* of the elite SFL kids. Don Chaney is a good example. Once in a while, a kid like this comes along, and the allure of staying home is bigger than the allure of making a lot of money to play college football.

But those kids are going to be very few and far between.

Most kids are Donnell Harris and Tyson Campbell, etc etc. Pimped out to the highest bidder. And any amount of winning will never cure that. Those kids are gone no matter how much Miami wins.

However, Miami can win without those kids. Would it be a **** of a lot easier to win with Frank Ladson & Jerry Jeudy? Obviously. But not every kid is going to UGA for $350k. There’s PLENTY of really good talent, both here and nationally, for Miami to sign and build a formidable program with. The key is hitting on a good number of those kids, and probably more importantly, finding a program changing QB. Pair Top 10-12 classes (which Miami should still be able to sign even without the 5-Star SFL kids, who will bolt to the $EC & Clemson) with a truly elite QB and coaching, and Miami can easily win big. But the fact is, it’s probably going to have to happen without the truly best of the best in SFL, cause the vast majority of these kids are true hoes these days being pimped out to whoever has the heaviest bags. And that’s not gonna change in our favor, probably ever.

But find a QB, evaluate well, sign a good mix of 4-star type kids both here and nationally, and try like **** to convince the local monsters to be Don Chaney and not Josh Jobe, and you can be fine.

This is what the "woe is me" crowd, the guys that think that this has happened a lot the last 15 years, it's BS. Most of you guys clearly have no historical perspective. My God if social media was around longer than now, I truly believe you all would have killed yourself.

These are facts, recruiting has always been dirty, ALWAYS.

It has always been dirty as **** here in South Florida.

And more importantly, even in our prime, most of the top kids in South Florida were always poached from here and UM did not get. Sure they got some, but the top top kids in whatever publication (yes you would have to read about it on paper back in the days of the horse and buggy to you guys) almost always were bought to go elsewhere.

The advantage of UM is that the amount of talent is so plentiful that you do not need to fill the roster with these "5 stars" to win it all. The key to Miami has always been the talent evaluators at the helm.

Guess what? The key to every great program and franchise in any sport is TALENT EVALUATION and not what some site or ranking says.

Is there some correlation to the rankings and success? Sure, but the main and primary correlation to success is talent evaluation and not rankings.

But to reiterate, for the most part, Miami never got the top rated guy in South Florida, rare that it happened, and they still did pretty well for itself

This is what the "woe is me" crowd, the guys that think that this has happened a lot the last 15 years, it's BS. Most of you guys clearly have no historical perspective. My God if social media was around longer than now, I truly believe you all would have killed yourself.

And more importantly, even in our prime, most of the top kids in South Florida were always poached from here and UM did not get. Sure they got some, but the top top kids in whatever publication (yes you would have to read about it on paper back in the days of the horse and buggy to you guys) almost always were bought to go elsewhere.

The advantage of UM is that the amount of talent is so plentiful that you do not need to fill the roster with these "5 stars" to win it all. The key to Miami has always been the talent evaluators at the helm.

Guess what? The key to every great program and franchise in any sport is TALENT EVALUATION and not what some site or ranking says.

Is there some correlation to the rankings and success? Sure, but the main and primary correlation to success is talent evaluation and not rankings.

But to reiterate, for the most part, Miami never got the top rated guy in South Florida, rare that it happened, and they still did pretty well for itself

Wrong.

Willis McGahee probably doesn't come here if he's a 2020 recruit.

Frank Gore probably doesn't come here if he's a 2020 recruit.

Sean Taylor probably doesn't come here if he's a 2020 recruit.

I can go on for days. And sure, nobody can know if this is true or not, but it's a MUCH different world now. You have no idea what you're talking about. Yes, recruiting has always been dirty. But the money now is light years beyond what it has been in the past, and keeps getting bigger. NCAA football is now a multi-BILLION dollar BUSINESS. It's not amateur athletics. It's a business. So miss me with the "woe is me" bull****. I specifically said Miami CAN win with the landscape being the way it is now. But they're going to have to do it without the elite of the elite South Florida kids, because Miami simply cannot compete any longer financially with these other schools. But, as I said, get me a truly game-changing QB and a roster full of good athletes sprinkled with a few great ones, and Miami will be just fine. However, it's a lot harder to find a 3-star Jersey kid and turn him into David Njoku than it is to just sign a ready-made All-American like Jerry Jeudy.

Advertisement

You are forgetting back then there was no ucf’s or other smaller schools coming in and taking a couple of those high 3 or low 4 star recruits. That’s why we have depth issues.

I don’t blame the kids or the parents. I still think it’s possible to compete for a championship but our margin is a lot smaller than Bama, Inc. or Clem$on.

So are you saying that all our players come from affluent neighborhoods or that none of our players were offered a bag from elsewhere?

Nope. I'm saying the kids who Clemson, UGA, and Bama are very heavily after are offered a ton of money, and most of them take it, and I blame them 0.0% for doing so.

This isn't a rule. It's a generality. Some kids want to be home no matter what. Some kids aren't offered a ton of money. Some kids prioritize other things over money.

But a LARGE percentage of the truly elite SFL kids....I'm talking James Williams, Donnell Harris, Jerry Jeudy, Frank Ladson, Tyson Campbell etc. etc....those top 50 overall, 5-star type kids....a LARGE percentage of those kids are offered a ton of money and come from very unsettled backgrounds....aka they're not saying no to hundreds of thousands of dollars. Not EVERY SINGLE kid is in this situation. But the vast majority of them are. Therefore, the vast majority are not coming to Miami. And if you don't believe me, there's lists on the internet you can find called Top 50 recruits per year in Florida. Go check them out and tell me how many of the Top 5 or so every year have come to Miami. This isn't a crazy hypothesis people are thinking of while they're on mushrooms. It's proven fact.

Nope. I'm saying the kids who Clemson, UGA, and Bama are very heavily after are offered a ton of money, and most of them take it, and I blame them 0.0% for doing so.

This isn't a rule. It's a generality. Some kids want to be home no matter what. Some kids aren't offered a ton of money. Some kids prioritize other things over money.

But a LARGE percentage of the truly elite SFL kids....I'm talking James Williams, Donnell Harris, Jerry Jeudy, Frank Ladson, Tyson Campbell etc. etc....those top 50 overall, 5-star type kids....a LARGE percentage of those kids are offered a ton of money and come from very unsettled backgrounds....aka they're not saying no to hundreds of thousands of dollars. Not EVERY SINGLE kid is in this situation. But the vast majority of them are. Therefore, the vast majority are not coming to Miami. And if you don't believe me, there's lists on the internet you can find called Top 50 recruits per year in Florida. Go check them out and tell me how many of the Top 5 or so every year have come to Miami. This isn't a crazy hypothesis people are thinking of while they're on mushrooms. It's proven fact.
It's tough to come to Miami when the only thing they've got going for them is they're the hometown team. Take that away and all you're left with is an incompetently run program that hasn't managed two consecutive successful seasons in over 15 years. Just like you don't blame kids choosing money, I don't blame kids looking at Al Golden, Randy Shannon, and a comatose Mark Richt and hard passing on the opportunity to be misused by them.

If Manny establishes himself as a legitimate coach that churns out 10 win seasons year after year and plays the Clemson's of the world competitively and proves that we're just one or two players away and we're still missing out on 90% of the blue chip kids down here, then fine, it really is all about bags. But until then it's unfounded how you say with absolute certainty that winning won't change anything.

Advertisement

If you were an elite S.FL recruit, would you want to go play for Clappy, Radio, Folden, or The Pastor?? Of course not. That more than bags has been a bigger issue with this program for close to 20 yrs. It's easy to speculate about bags, when kids in our own back yd spurn us yr after yr, but until we're able to provide them with a compelling enough reason to commit to us, this is going to continue to happen. There's always going to be divas & kids that would like to leave S.FL every cycle, just like there's kids who will commit to MIA regardless. I'm talking about kids that are on the fence. I don't think it's smart to speculate about bags, until we've proven that we're once again serious about winning.

Wrong.

Willis McGahee probably doesn't come here if he's a 2020 recruit.

Frank Gore probably doesn't come here if he's a 2020 recruit.

Sean Taylor probably doesn't come here if he's a 2020 recruit.

I can go on for days. And sure, nobody can know if this is true or not, but it's a MUCH different world now. You have no idea what you're talking about. Yes, recruiting has always been dirty. But the money now is light years beyond what it has been in the past, and keeps getting bigger. NCAA football is now a multi-BILLION dollar BUSINESS. It's not amateur athletics. It's a business. So miss me with the "woe is me" bull****. I specifically said Miami CAN win with the landscape being the way it is now. But they're going to have to do it without the elite of the elite South Florida kids, because Miami simply cannot compete any longer financially with these other schools. But, as I said, get me a truly game-changing QB and a roster full of good athletes sprinkled with a few great ones, and Miami will be just fine. However, it's a lot harder to find a 3-star Jersey kid and turn him into David Njoku than it is to just sign a ready-made All-American like Jerry Jeudy.

First reading comprehension is not a strong suit I can see, because I was agreeing with your premise of the blueprint to success.

Second, clearly your depth of history only goes as far back as 1999 clearly. Side note, I knew about Mcgahee cus I did the mortgage on his mom's house the year he was going to UM. That is how he got his flow at the time while he was at the U.

Third, the money is the money no matter what, the money is the same if you factor inflation into the equation. Fact is it has always been a business, always will be.

Fact is way way way way before the 2001 team, believe it or not we were great before that team, football and UM history and dirty recruiting did exist prior to that.

You ever heard of Marvin Jones? Lamont Green? again as you stated the list goes on and on of top ranked South Florida kids going el$ewhere.

Human nature has been the same since the dawn of time, technology may evolve, but this behavior has been the same no matter what. It is not more than before, the only difference is the access to information about it is faster and broader. Take into the fact increase in population along with other schools and there comes the feeling that it is more prevalent than before. But I am willing to bet, that if you actually took into account the percentage of players today as to way before the 2001 UM team, the percentage would be the same, take into account inflation and the going rates would be the same.

**** there's even been movies made, prior to Sean Taylor and McGahee and Gore, with this being the premise when it comes to recruiting.

But to reiterate, I was agreeing with you with the Blueprint to success

First reading comprehension is not a strong suit I can see, because I was agreeing with your premise of the blueprint to success.

Second, clearly your depth of history only goes as far back as 1999 clearly. Side note, I knew about Mcgahee cus I did the mortgage on his mom's house the year he was going to UM. That is how he got his flow at the time while he was at the U.

Third, the money is the money no matter what, the money is the same if you factor inflation into the equation. Fact is it has always been a business, always will be.

Fact is way way way way before the 2001 team, believe it or not we were great before that team, football and UM history and dirty recruiting did exist prior to that.

You ever heard of Marvin Jones? Lamont Green? again as you stated the list goes on and on of top ranked South Florida kids going el$ewhere.

Human nature has been the same since the dawn of time, technology may evolve, but this behavior has been the same no matter what. It is not more than before, the only difference is the access to information about it is faster and broader. Take into the fact increase in population along with other schools and there comes the feeling that it is more prevalent than before. But I am willing to bet, that if you actually took into account the percentage of players today as to way before the 2001 UM team, the percentage would be the same, take into account inflation and the going rates would be the same.

**** there's even been movies made, prior to Sean Taylor and McGahee and Gore, with this being the premise when it comes to recruiting.

But to reiterate, I was agreeing with you with the Blueprint to success

Gotcha. Wasn't trying to be a ****. It's just funny to read people who think Miami can never field a competitive football team again because Bryan Robinson decommitted. Give me a break. There's PLENTY of really, really good athletes who Miami can convince to come here if they field a competent team, but those absolute cream of the crop kids are just not going to come here anymore, except for the rare exception (Don Chaney, come on down).

But get a kid like Jake Garcia and develop him into a top flight NFL QB, pair him with 84 other really good athletes sprinkled with the occasional great ones and this team can be as good as anyone.

If you were an elite S.FL recruit, would you want to go play for Clappy, Radio, Folden, or The Pastor?? Of course not. That more than bags has been a bigger issue with this program for close to 20 yrs. It's easy to speculate about bags, when kids in our own back yd spurn us yr after yr, but until we're able to provide them with a compelling enough reason to commit to us, this is going to continue to happen. There's always going to be divas & kids that would like to leave S.FL every cycle, just like there's kids who will commit to MIA regardless. I'm talking about kids that are on the fence. I don't think it's smart to speculate about bags, until we've proven that we're once again serious about winning.

I sure as **** would if those guys paid me as well as Saban, Meyer, Kirby, and Dabo did.

Advertisement
Gotcha. Wasn't trying to be a ****. It's just funny to read people who think Miami can never field a competitive football team again because Bryan Robinson decommitted. Give me a break. There's PLENTY of really, really good athletes who Miami can convince to come here if they field a competent team, but those absolute cream of the crop kids are just not going to come here anymore, except for the rare exception (Don Chaney, come on down).

But get a kid like Jake Garcia and develop him into a top flight NFL QB, pair him with 84 other really good athletes sprinkled with the occasional great ones and this team can be as good as anyone.
No problem brother, sorry if I was a little ****ish myself.

And that is the point, that has always been the case with Miami, that has always been the blueprint because of the abundance of talent around here.

Like I said, even in our heyday we never really landed the cream of the crop kids, we landed some, but the majority always went to the higher bidder, did back then and always will. But as you stated with the amount of talent, with the amount of proven history that it is not just about stars, and a good QB, we can compete and we can win.

**** just looking threw the names are pretty **** telling. A lot of these decommitments never amounted to much of anything tbqh outside of a handful of them like cj Henderson, bridgewater, Alex Collins. Eli Rogers to name a few. This is interesting indeed. It’s not necessarily the decommits that are killing us as a large majority of them were insignificant losses it’s the Elite ones that seem to have minimal interest the Sony Michel, Jerry jeudys of the south Florida that hurt more etc

Advertisement
You are forgetting back then there was no ucf’s or other smaller schools coming in and taking a couple of those high 3 or low 4 star recruits. That’s why we have depth issues.

I don’t blame the kids or the parents. I still think it’s possible to compete for a championship but our margin is a lot smaller than Bama, Inc. or Clem$on.
Ding Ding Ding!!! This is what is the biggest difference now for Da U and We're not realizing how big this is. With social media, we're able to see the ones who committed now a.s.a.p. 0Being from New Orleans back in the mid 80's-90's I would have to wait till the magazine comes out to get college football news bout Miami so whoever stayed committed just wasn't news for me down here. It was I'll see how we look when the season starts and get an idea about the players from the magazine. The kids we're not getting because they're playing at UCF, USF, FIU, FAU, etc is what's making it tougher and hitting on these not so highly ranked kids in the early stages is more important now.

I know that and you know that but the optics are MIAMI were dropped. Now add two of our highest commits in two classes. It's a very bad optic right now. I think the kids all know what's up - what's to keep some more of them from thinking "maybe I should see what I can get too??"

This; the optics on this looks very bad. No if & buts about it. We’ve been dubbed DecommitU

Advertisement
Back