Day After Thoughts

CaneSB

Freshman
I just rewatched the game on my DVR. Here are some thoughts:

- There is a reason we couldn't get the ball moving on the ground. FSU was playing 8 in the box on just about every 1st and 2nd down. Clearly a solid gameplan given the fact that we were either starting Ryan Williams or an injured Stephen Morris.
- Morris didn't play well. The OL, in my opinion, played well. FSU DL is very good and for the most part, they gave him time to throw. It was evident that Morris suffered from not practicing much all week. His timing was off and he missed NUMEROUS opportunities. He also was holding the ball to long on many plays and made some errant reads. For instance, on 3rd and 2 where he threw a bad ball to Lockhart, he had Mike James WIDE OPEN out of the backfield to his right which would have been an easy first down and most likely a TD.
- Duke Johnson is clearly not a 100% and quite frankly, I am not sure he should be playing right now. He is lacking his signature burst. Mike James looks significantly more explosive right now.
- Our TE are horrendous. My biggest concern is that the answer is not on our roster yet.
- Unllike some other posters, I do not have an issue with Fisch's offense and play calling. There were plenty of opportunities to make plays yesterday and Morris didn't execute. Some of it has to do with his injury but it also has to do with his limitations in the decision making department. The overarching issue with the offense is that we run a pro style offense with terrible TE's and lack a true #1 WR who is ALWAYS a mismatch and therefore, requires attention from the safety's opening up the rest of the field for the other players.
- We are clearly a tired team right now. The bye week is greatly needed. I am excited to see this team get back on the field after 2 weeks of rest.
- The defense played really well yesterday. I see progress. Really excited about watching E Johnson, Perryman, Bush, Howard, Gunter, Chick, Pierre, McCord, etc develop.
- This has been posted numerous times. I don't want to gang up on the guys but Kacy Rodgers has no business being on the field and VT is not far behind.
- That being said, Deon Bush is a flat out stud.
- Moving Perryman back outside was a smart decision and Gaines played well yesterday. Perryman hasn't settled in yet but I expect him to shine for the remainder of the season.
- Earl Moore is clearly overmatched out there. I guess it purely a depth issue as to why he is playing.

Last, here is my prediction....This staff will play for a National Championship within the next 4 years. It has been years since I felt this good about our programs future. Golden sucks every ounce out of these kids. They play hard, they tackle well, and the team looks organized again. Once the talent level, experience, and development catches up with the rest of the top tier programs, we will be back. I know we will snatch another top 10 recruiting class again which will bring us one step closer. (handicapped for size).The future is bright.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Seriously when I re watched the game this morning I found my self watching Deon help over the top on some of those deep balls and it looks like we may have found ourselves a real ball hawk.... he was timing his jumps to deflect balls to noticeably taller WR's perfectly and taking great routes.

Defense was playing tough. In spite of being on the field the entire game, they gutted it up and did really, really well.

Bush is a bright star, shining on that entire backfield. What a player! Gunter was really ****ing off receivers as he was in their faces. In two years, we'll have a top five or top six defense. Just need some reinforcements.

And don't you know Kevin Olsen is drooling to get on campus. There IS no competition.

I thought our defense hit the hardest they have all season. Our play at safety was horrible. Hard to imagine it being worse. Bush is the ONLY bright spot.

Advertisement
I also think Duke had no business being out there yesterday.

I also think, for the first time in a very long time, the future is bright. We are getting better. We just dont have the horses.

I was reluctant to come on here, prepared for the doom & gloom. So refreshing to see optimistic posts.

Even with a healthy Morris, would have been hard pressed to beat this physical bunch of Noles that Jimbo put together. That being said, I fully expect to give the Noles a run for their money next year in Tally and beyond as long as this coaching staff sticks around (and the sanctions actually fit the "crimes").

- Earl Moore is clearly overmatched out there. I guess it purely a depth issue as to why he is playing.

Indeed.

The pre-kick ritual by the FSU kicker is really one of the more feminine acts I have seen from a football player.

Advertisement
Excellent post. Fisch isn't as inept as many have been making him out to be. I hated the 3rd and 2 fade to Lockhart (for multiple reasons) but if Morris was anything close to being a competent QB we wouldn't even be discussing Fisch today. Generally speaking Fisch takes what the defense gives him and last night FSU took away the running game.

Advertisement
Strong post. Agree that the O losing the game for us has more to do with Morris than Fisch, and I am also looking forward to what this team will look like next year.

The one converse side is everyone always talks about gameday play calling as if it is some video game. Although Morris did not execute, it is Fisch's job to get the play to translate from practice and film to the game field. He did his best work with JaCory last year, salvaging a career in steep decline. In the long run, Morris needs to start making strides in the decision making area and if not, that is on Fisch in the long term as QB coach and OC.

Last edited:
The one converse side is everyone always talks about gameday play calling as if it is some video game. Although Morris did not execute, it is Fisch's job to get the play to translate from practice and film to the game field. He did his best work with JaCory last year, salvaging a career in steep decline. In the long run, Morris needs to start making strides in the decision making area and if not, that is on Fisch in the long term as QB coach and OC.

Two great posts.

Advertisement
Great post, I totally agree on the WR remark. We desperately need an Andre Johnson type kid at WR. We don't have anybody at that position that scares opponents. We seem to have a ton of solid guys like Hurns, Scott, Dorsett and Lewis, but nobody that requires extra attention from the other team

Excellent post. Fisch isn't as inept as many have been making him out to be. I hated the 3rd and 2 fade to Lockhart (for multiple reasons) but if Morris was anything close to being a competent QB we wouldn't even be discussing Fisch today. Generally speaking Fisch takes what the defense gives him and last night FSU took away the running game.

I am thinking he may not be as bad as I surmised. If Morris could hit open receivers for TDs instead of overthrowing every time, and the recievers caught some passes, we would be scoring points, and probably would have won two or at LEST one of the last three.

Fisch has called four wide open TD passing plays in the first posession of the ND and FSU games. all dropped and/or overthrown

Great post.

It's amazing how much more you notice when you can stomach a 2nd watch. FSU has a great defense and when we don't get yards it's not always the fault of the OC or the QB. Wish people would take that into consideration sometimes.

Yeah, we had man to man on the outside a lot. They were moving the Safety's up a lot. Morris just didnt execute to the best of his ability. I dont completely blame Fisch but he made some bad play calls as well.

Advertisement
Back