Dawson

I watched almost all of Dawson's interview this season. He is just an average OC. I don't quite like his attitude either. We need to move on from him.

I happened to watch several Penn State new OC (former Kansas OC) Andy Kotelnicki's interviews including X&O talks. I can tell that he is really a smart guy.

Mario is really not good at picking coordinator.
It wouldn't matter. Mario would turn Kotelnicki into his personal bro style gimp.

Advertisement
I refuse to say that this team is anything other than a .500 team until
they win a bowl game, any bowl game. 1-11 in your last 12 bowls along with your current coach having a losing record are pretty good indicators of just how awful this team is/was.

A bad stench still permeates from that athletic department football related it’s not all on the OC we‘ve seen this time and again. If next season Mario comes out of the gate stinking it up he needs to be fired on the spot. Will it happen probably not. However that’s why they brought in the Clemson AD. Make him earn his money because he’s done absolutely nothing since he’s been here.

Dawson is a loser just like MARIO. They play to lose. The play calling is vanilla, predictable, and way too conservative. He needs to be fired !
I’m always amused reading CIS after a loss. You mean to tell me the play where Jacolby dropped a misdirection play in the 3rd quarter that would have gone for a touchdown is vanilla? Or the bomb he dropped on the first offensive play? What I saw was an OC who called a game for a QB who he knows has made a little progress in the passing game during the season but is nowhere near where he needs to be. Basic passing routes and short throws for most of the game.

I understand your QB is who he is but that gameplan was trash.

When Dawson is in a good groove he can cook but his bad is really bad. The pace of play this team plays with is awful.

Dawson is quickly losing the leadway that most had afforded him.

Here’s my major, systemic concern with Mario / Dawson

If there are this naive with their offensive philosophy, to think they can just line up and call the same predictable plays WITHOUT a material talent advantage…… imagine when Mario stacks top rated classes, he’s going to get even more predictable….. and we are gonna go down this never ending death spiral where Mario can’t look in the mirror and fix his deficiencies and his only card to play is recruiting

But at some point the recruiting will pull back if he keeps squandering the talent on game days

Even if we get Cam Ward, the QB and offense will be restricted by Mario and Dawson

Last edited:
Advertisement
Here’s my major, systemic concern with Mario / Dawson

If there are this naive with their offensive philosophy, to think they can just line up and call the same predictable plays WITHOUT a material talent advantage…… imagine when Mario stacks top rated classes, he’s going to get even more predictable….. and we are gonna go down this never ending death spiral where Mario can’t look in the mirror and fix his deficiencies and his only card to play is recruiting

But at some point the recruiting will pull back if he keeps squandering the talent on game days

Even if we get Cam Ward, the QB and offense will be restricted by Mario and Dawson

Even the Heat beat writer is bashing Mario for his stupidity

I’m always amused reading CIS after a loss. You mean to tell me the play where Jacolby dropped a misdirection play in the 3rd quarter that would have gone for a touchdown is vanilla? Or the bomb he dropped on the first offensive play? What I saw was an OC who called a game for a QB who he knows has made a little progress in the passing game during the season but is nowhere near where he needs to be. Basic passing routes and short throws for most of the game.
Agree to an extent but JB11 was supposed to be this amazing athlete and there were less than a handful of designed QB power runs.

Advertisement
Advertisement
No matter who the OC is you will see the same result. Mario will not let them run their side of the ball. Mario wants power run scheme like this is 1990. That Rutgers team was the worst pass defense we have seen in years and they were down their best corner and they still manned up and dared us to throw! We only threw 2 DEEP PASSES!! 2!!! Crazy!!!

...Mario isn't here to call plays, so why does that matter?
Mario can coach OL. He can recruit at an insanely high level.
He has negatives. His job is to hire good enough coordinators and recruit enough talent that his GameDays coaching doesn't result in losses.
I look at the results and say we are on a n upward trajectory and if he succeeds in bringing in a top portal QB I think we will will win 10+ games.
This isn't that complicated. Just cause Mario isn't a coordinator doesn't mean he can't run a successful program or that we have no hope of winning a championship.

And y'all keep making the mistake that there are better alternatives or that we would have as much commitment as we have today with a different coach. Y'all don't wanna accept reality half the time

Yes.

Who should we have hired 2 years ago instead of Mario? Slingblade Billy?

Advertisement
Yes.

Who should we have hired 2 years ago instead of Mario? Slingblade Billy?
Yes those were the only two options. Thank you for reminding everyone we had no other choice but the other terrible coach hired 2 years ago. You single handedly saved the entire university the hassle of conducting a thorough search. Bang up job.

Would have been a first down had 52 not whiffed on his man 17. Everybody else made their block. 64 and 76 pushed their guys to Queens, but all for naught as 17 beat 52 badly and that was that. The decision to have 52 on the field cost the team this 1st down.

Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 8.07.24 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 8.08.45 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 8.09.27 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 8.09.56 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 8.10.48 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 8.11.48 PM.png

...Mario isn't here to call plays, so why does that matter?
Mario can coach OL. He can recruit at an insanely high level.
He has negatives. His job is to hire good enough coordinators and recruit enough talent that his GameDays coaching doesn't result in losses.
I look at the results and say we are on a n upward trajectory and if he succeeds in bringing in a top portal QB I think we will will win 10+ games.
This isn't that complicated. Just cause Mario isn't a coordinator doesn't mean he can't run a successful program or that we have no hope of winning a championship.

And y'all keep making the mistake that there are better alternatives or that we would have as much commitment as we have today with a different coach. Y'all don't wanna accept reality half the time
wtf GIF

Advertisement
Back