Dawson

No matter who the OC is you will see the same result. Mario will not let them run their side of the ball. Mario wants power run scheme like this is 1990. That Rutgers team was the worst pass defense we have seen in years and they were down their best corner and they still manned up and dared us to throw! We only threw 2 DEEP PASSES!! 2!!! Crazy!!!
This video is from 10 months ago with a guy who covers Houston football. Go to the 20:30 mark and listen to what he says about Dawson and tell me its not the same stuff where seeing here

Advertisement
It’s really fascinating how much of a difference a legit qb makes. Let’s just go down the list. Look at the drop off Clemson had after losing T-Law. Texas went 5-7 before bringing in Ewers. You see the drop off with OSU after losing Stroud. These head coaches just aren’t these crazy gurus

Last edited:
Advertisement
Dawson has lost my trust and support. And Mario needs to stay away from the playbook. He was next to the OC and offensive players during every other timeout.

Stop playing caveball.

I understand your QB is who he is but that gameplan was trash.

When Dawson is in a good groove he can cook but his bad is really bad. The pace of play this team plays with is awful.

Dawson is quickly losing the leadway that most had afforded him.
It's because the dude is trash, always has been trash and always will be trash. But what did anyone expect coming from Mario? Dawson literally begged Mario to hire him which is exactly what Mario's micromanaging A$$ wanted. He made Dawson concede some offensive input to him and his boy Mirabal. Is anyone really surprised at this? Mario then spent the entire off season threatening assistant coaches if they spoke to the media. The guy is a clown.

Keep it and hit Arroyo in the flat
Screenshot 2023-12-29 220630.png

i thought that too in the gameday thread, but the OLB was keyed on arroyo when jacurri and parrish were at the mesh point. also, the slanting DE who beat rivers would have been in position to sack jacurri had he pulled the ball. @PalyCane is right that had cristobal blocked his guy we get the first down, but i have issues with the 3rd & 4th down sequence as a whole.

we ran on 3rd and 5 to get to a 4th and short, then had to use a TO before the 4th down play because we saw something we didn't like. yes, had everybody blocked their guy we would have made it on 4th down. however, our margin of error is small here by our own choosing, and we're relying on our 3rd string 5'11 nepo-OG to block his guy. considering we were down 2 scores with ~10min left in the 4th quarter, would have preferred dawson take two shots to scheme someone open for a 5+ yard pass.

similar issue with the run/run/pass behind the LOS scrimmage sequence that led to the punt block for a TD. we trusted jacurri to throw the ball from the 10 at the end of the first half. yet, when we had momentum and were in position to end the game with another TD, dawson didn't call a first or second down pass, and the 3rd down pass was as cuck as could be. i get not trusting jacurri going into the game, but the kid had just led 3 straight scoring drives (would have been 3 straight TDs if X's *** was a little smaller, lol), so perhaps he should have adjusted his agression to the level of play his QB had shown.

many here have their pat narrative that when **** like this happens its mario meddling in the offense in the middle of the game. since no one has ever offered any evidence to support this narrative, i will take a wild leap and assume that it's just ****** play calling by the guy who is paid to call the offensive plays. dawson's not a great offensive coordinator - there are years of data to support this. he's probably good enough that we can win 10 games next year if he trusts his QB and our defense is really good, but he's always gonna do suspect stupid ****, cause that's what he's done at multiple places for many years.

the larger problem is the ceiling for OCs mario can hire is pretty low, because he has a particular offensive framework and mentality that the OC has to work under. if it were the most awesome framework and philosophy out there then that'd be cool, but it isn't. also i suspect he doesn't sit at the cool coach's table at the conventions and such - see his 2year obsession with hiring one guy he was friends with in candle. i guess it could work under the current framework if we stack enough talent and always have a good-great QB, but again the margin of error will be smaller than it could be.

tl;dr: dawson = meh, but unless mario has a come-to-jesus moment in the offseason bring him back for continuity's sake and pray we get a real good QB in the portal and dawson gets marginally better somehow.

I refuse to say that this team is anything other than a .500 team until
they win a bowl game, any bowl game. 1-11 in your last 12 bowls along with your current coach having a losing record are pretty good indicators of just how awful this team is/was.

A bad stench still permeates from that athletic department football related it’s not all on the OC we‘ve seen this time and again. If next season Mario comes out of the gate stinking it up he needs to be fired on the spot. Will it happen probably not. However that’s why they brought in the Clemson AD. Make him earn his money because he’s done absolutely nothing since he’s been here.
The former Clemson AD who is now our AD is only there to run the other sports and has zero power over the football program and if you don't believe that you are just kidding yourselves. The Columbus Mafia has iron fisted control of all football operations.

Advertisement
View attachment 275992
i thought that too in the gameday thread, but the OLB was keyed on arroyo when jacurri and parrish were at the mesh point. also, the slanting DE who beat rivers would have been in position to sack jacurri had he pulled the ball. @PalyCane is right that had cristobal blocked his guy we get the first down, but i have issues with the 3rd & 4th down sequence as a whole.

we ran on 3rd and 5 to get to a 4th and short, then had to use a TO before the 4th down play because we saw something we didn't like. yes, had everybody blocked their guy we would have made it on 4th down. however, our margin of error is small here by our own choosing, and we're relying on our 3rd string 5'11 nepo-OG to block his guy. considering we were down 2 scores with ~10min left in the 4th quarter, would have preferred dawson take two shots to scheme someone open for a 5+ yard pass.

similar issue with the run/run/pass behind the LOS scrimmage sequence that led to the punt block for a TD. we trusted jacurri to throw the ball from the 10 at the end of the first half. yet, when we had momentum and were in position to end the game with another TD, dawson didn't call a first or second down pass, and the 3rd down pass was as cuck as could be. i get not trusting jacurri going into the game, but the kid had just led 3 straight scoring drives (would have been 3 straight TDs if X's *** was a little smaller, lol), so perhaps he should have adjusted his agression to the level of play his QB had shown.

many here have their pat narrative that when **** like this happens its mario meddling in the offense in the middle of the game. since no one has ever offered any evidence to support this narrative, i will take a wild leap and assume that it's just ****** play calling by the guy who is paid to call the offensive plays. dawson's not a great offensive coordinator - there are years of data to support this. he's probably good enough that we can win 10 games next year if he trusts his QB and our defense is really good, but he's always gonna do suspect stupid ****, cause that's what he's done at multiple places for many years.

the larger problem is the ceiling for OCs mario can hire is pretty low, because he has a particular offensive framework and mentality that the OC has to work under. if it were the most awesome framework and philosophy out there then that'd be cool, but it isn't. also i suspect he doesn't sit at the cool coach's table at the conventions and such - see his 2year obsession with hiring one guy he was friends with in candle. i guess it could work under the current framework if we stack enough talent and always have a good-great QB, but again the margin of error will be smaller than it could be.

tl;dr: dawson = meh, but unless mario has a come-to-jesus moment in the offseason bring him back for continuity's sake and pray we get a real good QB in the portal and dawson gets marginally better somehow.
Jacurri should have kept it and followed Arroyo then cut outside of him. Huge play if JB keeps and runs to his right.

Hmmm…. Mixed thoughts here on Dawson, we saw at the beginning of the season what the offense could be and we all were loving it, then the bye week and Georgia Tech happened then the offense came to a sputtering halt. He was dealing with an injured qb in Van Dyke all season and had to rely on a true freshmen against our most hated rival in FSU and the Clemson games. So in my opinion he was handcuffed in that retrospect. Now, there is no excuses as to why you don’t use the tight end in the passing game, going bunched formations, going to into a shell when we are leading that results in stalled drives, and we’ve seen that so many times this year. Seems to me Dawson didn’t even try to make adjustments all year long and provide any new wrinkles to the offense. That is concerning. Also if he is possibly moving on, rumor, then how are we going to find any rhythm on the offensive side of the ball, and that will be the 3rd offensive coordinator in the 1st 3 years, that is absolutely horrible look for Cristobal. So it’s 50/50 in my mind whether he says or goes, either way I’m good. Just my morning $0.26.

The University of Miami
averaged 31.5 ppg (39th in the nation)
53rd in 3rd down conversion rate
43rd in pass ypg
19th in rush yards per attempt
26th in yards per play (VERY important stat)

Solid year 1 numbers, I can’t wait to see them in year 2 of the system. 😍

Jacurri should have kept it and followed Arroyo then cut outside of him. Huge play if JB keeps and runs to his right.
I think he could have kept it as well. If you look at the screenshot, the WR was given about 10 yards of cushion. I wonder if a quick hitch was built into the play.

Advertisement
I've said repeatedly I don't think Dawson is the crunchiest pickle in the barrel.

The offense also improved a lot year over year with QB mental gymnastics and injuries.

I also don't think Mario wants to play caveman football like parrots suggest. I also don't think he calls plays he allows his OC to do that.

In this game we had 2 great playcalls for big explosive momentum plays that George messed up.

The drop on the first play bomb, and the reverse pop pass he dropped.

Both could have been HUGe plays. Game changing type plays. Hard to fault Caveman Mario and Dawson when he failed to execute.

Mario bro style caveman tuff and fysical had 2 WRs make all conference so that flies in the face of you parrots saying he wants to run it into a wall.

He also just signed the best WR class here in maybe 20 years so I think he values great WR play. Just my 2 cents but carry on the ignorant takes

Yikes….
Funny how he says the offense at Houston would come out in air raid and then revert back to a slower pace offense. Samething happens here with our offense and we blame it on Mario taking over playcalling lol ...I'm not excusing Mario because at the end of the day he hired Dawson

Advertisement
Back