Dawson

You're right, if we switch to Emory we're gonna be lighting up that scoreboard in Tally.
Emory not being prepared to take on a top 5 team in an away game at night VS our biggest rival does not mean that our senior starting QB hasn’t been costing us.

Advertisement
We had that explosive offense the first 4 games when our QB wasn’t underthrowing every pass though…. So what was going on then? I’ll hang up and listen

No we didn’t. Outside of A&M, we largely just ran over teams.

The entire offensive narrative after Miami of OH was that TVD’s hand was injured, Miami of OH was playing far off the ball, so it was a day where you just dink and dunk and run the ball.

TVD was a freshman under Lashlee.

He had some bad games.

But these are the offensive value generated games in 2021 for the games that are evidence that this is a TVD problem:

UVA: -.2
UNC: .2
FSU: -5.9

That’s as bad as it got with TVD under Lashlee when TVD played like sh*t. Two of those games are basically 0 games. And while FSU was not good, we have 2 double digit negative value games so far this year, and the NC State value hasn’t been released yet.

People are trying extra hard not to grasp this. And I get why. You’re hoping this isn’t a Mario issue, but a TVD issue. And if we can just get that right QB, things will be fine. Because Mario is here to stay, so if it’s a Mario issue, we’re ****ed.

But Lashlee’s offenses with TVD were still able to generate enough offensive production despite TVD’s bad play, to make it so that the offense wasn’t that bad.

Cristobal’s can’t. Because Cristobal’s offensive mentality is a death penalty.
Idk what that advanced stat means or how it’s measured, but advance stats also have TVD as one of the top QBs in the country.

What I do know is, it’s hard to win ANY game when your QB has multiple turnovers, period.

Idk what that advanced stat means or how it’s measured, but advance stats also have TVD as one of the top QBs in the country.

What I do know is, it’s hard to win ANY game when your QB has multiple turnovers, period.

Analytics don’t grade QBs. PFF might, but those are scouts. Not analytic models.

Advertisement
I kind of feel sorry for the dudes who think all we need is a QB switch to have an explosive offense that scores a bunch of points with Mario as HC.

Yep.

Oregon has 5 negative value generated offensive games with Justin Herbert at QB his last year at Oregon. And people actually think Mario is just the right QB away.

I also don't find it a coincidence that the 2 games (A&M and UNC) we fell behind double digits and had to quicken the pace and spread things out TVD threw for almost 800 yards and 9 TDs.

Advertisement
I think that was an RPO with #4 alone.
Also if our 29 year old TE makes his block, fletcher gets the first. The rest of the OL drove their guys back.
I can't blame him for that... if it was an RPO.
Pass is a TD.
If a grown man makes his block, it's a first.
I haven't had the heart to rewatch it, but live (and on the telecast replays), it looked like the TE made the block on the LB and the safety came crashing unopposed to make the hit on Fletch behind the line of scrimmage.

When the offense is good it’s Dawson’s. We went 4-0, so Mario decided to force him to change, and now it sucks. What planet are you guys from?

This is Dawson’s offense. You think during the week Mario says “let’s not get the ball to Brashard Smith”? He tells Dawson to not use the middle of the field? During prep he sits down with Dawson and says “don’t run a screen to a running back?”

Give that **** a rest, my god. Blame the coordinator and the quarterback, they are responsible for the offense.

NCSU has 1 good player. They threw it to him, then ran it to him, they put him in wildcat. Armstrong came over with Annae and sucked, so they benched him. But he can run. So they put him in to run some QB option stuff. Creativity. Using your pieces to your advantage. Dawson has done NONE of that. For weeks now. We didn’t run a single creative play. Not one. No packages, no unique formations, no different motions. The wrinkle was to run 7 and 4 tight as H-Backs and have them block linebackers. LOL. Pathetic. And the QB is a wounded and broken player who is seeing ghosts and has zero confidence. What do you get? 6 points.

I also don't find it a coincidence that the 2 games (A&M and UNC) we fell behind double digits and had to quicken the pace and spread things out TVD threw for almost 800 yards and 9 TDs.
Why were we behind against UNC? I recall us gaining momentum before a certain INT in the 3rd quarter in our own redzone.

Advertisement
**** rolls downhill but it can't start at the bottom. The order of culpability is Mario - Dawson - TVD and on. Mario can't or wont see that we have a defective QB and make changes. Dawson is either handcuffed or too stupid to work with the hand he's been delt. TVD looks like he's having girl problems and comes across as king of the mopes. He looked more involved and excited when Emory was on the field. This dude does not want to play football. Give him a GD clipboard.

Yeah i dont buy it. I dont doubt that Mario wants Dawson to run more / protect TVD from TO's but Dawson still makes and calls the plays. I dont think Mario told him to abandon all creativity and only run up the middle or call a WR tunnel screen. Dawson is a deer in the headlights himself (like TVD) and doesnt know what to do so hes gone conservative
What can he do if he's got a QB that can't process things?

You’re picking out a couple plays a game. Tvd missed a td when NC State blew coverage but that was a blown coverage. We have no shifts , barely any motion or nothing in pre snap to get matchups or cause confusion. They just lined up and blitzed us all night and we just dropped back or tan it. Zero creativity. None.

Tvd deserves blame, he’s been awful but Dawson hasn’t been good since GT. Everything has went to **** after the bye week.
And that is what I think is the most frustrating part. We have seen this offense be something TOTALLY different and we saw the success we had in the first 4 games. I mean if this had been our offense all year, that's one thing, but we were placing with pace, creating mismatches, using motion to put our players in a position to succeed. But like we've stated, once the bye week came around all that vanished like a fart in the wind.

Advertisement
How is it that Dawson’s play calls, designs, formations have been this bad? What has changed since the ATM game? Serious question. And although I didn’t know Dawson before this year, many people on this board that know way more football than me said he’s offenses in previous stops were good and that Dawson was legit. Why has he regressed as an OC?
They lied to you. Houston fans wanted Dawson gone
When the offense is good it’s Dawson’s. We went 4-0, so Mario decided to force him to change, and now it sucks. What planet are you guys from?

This is Dawson’s offense. You think during the week Mario says “let’s not get the ball to Brashard Smith”? He tells Dawson to not use the middle of the field? During prep he sits down with Dawson and says “don’t run a screen to a running back?”

Give that **** a rest, my god. Blame the coordinator and the quarterback, they are responsible for the offense.

NCSU has 1 good player. They threw it to him, then ran it to him, they put him in wildcat. Armstrong came over with Annae and sucked, so they benched him. But he can run. So they put him in to run some QB option stuff. Creativity. Using your pieces to your advantage. Dawson has done NONE of that. For weeks now. We didn’t run a single creative play. Not one. No packages, no unique formations, no different motions. The wrinkle was to run 7 and 4 tight as H-Backs and have them block linebackers. LOL. Pathetic. And the QB is a wounded and broken player who is seeing ghosts and has zero confidence. What do you get? 6 points.

People just completely gloss over the fact Mark Stoops fired Dawson after 1 season. Dawson was a suspect hire from the beginning and anyone who did their homework knew it. Mario is to blame for all of this though because he made the hire.

I blame Mario for hiring Dawson and not benching TVD. The playcalling is bad because Dawson is calling a bad game.

Advertisement
Back