2025 Davon Mitchell 5* TE from Los Alamitos, CA (‘24 Reclass Likely) [commits to OU]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woodiel too new to blame IMO. Firsthand like a few other offensive players we need to improve in concepting how we plan on using these guys in one on ones. This is the 2nd player we failed on offensively selling in the "scheme" Hate away haha but facts are facts.
@1murhurricane Who was the first? Yikes! That doesn't sound good.

In your opinion, is this because Dawson is having difficulty communicating to recruits what their role will be within the context of his scheme? Or .... Is it because these recruits are thinking that the scheme itself isn't all that great?

Advertisement
Jalen Phillips was a first round pick and is tearing up the NFL as an OLB. So technically he did land one of the best young LBs in the NFL, he just played him out of position.
You do realize that a 4-3 or 4-2-5 DE is basically the same as a 3-4 OLB, right? Sooo for all Manny’s faults, and God knows three were a lot of them, playing JP “out of position”, was not one of them.

We are the most delusional fanbase in the nation. KJ Osborn is our best offensive player in the NFL & Mario's O here last year was the worst I've ever watched. We should be lucky we even have Chance, Riley, or Loftin on board rn.

Advertisement
Woodiel too new to blame IMO. Firsthand like a few other offensive players we need to improve in concepting how we plan on using these guys in one on ones. This is the 2nd player we failed on offensively selling in the "scheme" Hate away haha but facts are facts.
Lol woodiel too new but the OC who hasn't called a game here isn't?

Advertisement
If I'm not mistaken we recruited Samson, Bain and Mauigoa for as long or longer than anyone else. Were talking about Miami coming in at the last second or in the middle of a recruitment and trying to steal a kid. Dont know much about GIlmore but we didnt hear anything about Nesta being recruited until not long before he made a decision. He wasnt on any players we have to sign list or cant miss on list I've seen that we do on here.
We offered Nesta and Gilmore before OU and they both visited here before OU.

I get that if they were committing in December but they’re committing shortly after their OVs. Don’t really have a choice but to host them early
Yup, I’m just trying to figure out how to eliminate the issue of schools using us as the earliest OV to get a sense of what we’re offering NIL-wise.

Unless we just start lying and low-balling the NIL offers, then increasing at the 11th hour like a true vet move

Advertisement
As far as my knowledge goes someone else from Texas:) But that doesn't mean there haven't been more. Speaking from direct contact we have to do a better job of selling the development and usage if we want to get some of these kids over the edge with the negative recruiting going on. It's convenient to blame NIL but that's not the case with several of the losses I've seen...

So that's why we went from being in the game for Drelon Miller and were considered to be in his Top 2 to not even being a finalist in his Top 3 less than a week later. Wow. As always, thanks for the insight you bring to the board.

Dropping the ball on an elite WR1 like Miller is unacceptable. It was easy for some to dismiss that loss as Miami not being able to compete with the oil money in A&M's war chest, but to hear we didn't do a good enough job of selling development and usage to a premier WR like Miller is a massive problem.

There shouldn't be a single poster trying to shout down those of us who've been highly critical of QB and outside WR recruiting any more. As 1mur mentioned in this post quoted above, it's been convenient for some to blame NIL as a crutch but the issues we've been having at these positions on the trail are continuing to mount and they're impossible to ignore at this point.

Last edited:
We missed on several QB recruits. The plan wasn't always portal. And to say only WRs is a **** of a statement lol. We are recruiting RB and OL well no doubt. Can't discount that. It's show me time with plenty of guys.

Thank you. Now, for the love of God, can some posters PLEASE stop trying to claim that investing in premier HS QB recruits is a waste of money while trying to argue that turning to the portal is our staff's master plan and not a necessary pivot after we've missed on several big-time QB recruits?

Our own staff doesn't even believe that nonsense or else they never would've tried for Air Noland or other top QB's in the first place knowing the NIL investment that's necessary to even have a place at the table in those recruitments.

The narratives some have tried to spin in the aftermath of the Noland loss have been ridiculous. And I'm not talking about those who argue in good faith that the portal can work out for us. I'm talking about those claiming our staff is on some chess, not checkers bull**** while every big money program investing heavily on elite QB recruits (see UGA, Bama, USC, OSU, Clemson, UT, etc.) is flushing their money down the toilet.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think it’s more the accumulation of L’s this go around that has folks frustrated

Do people understand how many L’s we took last class too? Our coach recruits EVERYONE hard as ****.

Joenel Aguero
Jaxon Howard
Monroe Freeling
JADEN RASHADA
Payton Kirkland
CJ Baxter
Connor Lew
David Hicks
Jayden Bonsu
CORMANI MCCLAIN
Olaus Alinen

What’s that, the 10th best recruiting class off the top of my head all by itself made up entirely of kids who took OVs and had very genuine interest and went elsewhere?

And we still signed the 7th best class in the country?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back